0-3: Words of Encouragement / Study Advice

• Creator
    Topic
    REG-FTW86
    Participant

So I am now 0-3. Failed FAR (57), BEC (70), AUD(54-no idea…). I am already over the failed AUD and am re-taking it in April. I learned not to dwell on what is and to focus on what is to become.

I’m not sure who here had the opportunity to overcome a situation similar to mine. I have a long road ahead of me and I am still at the starting line. I’m burning a lot of fuel but am not gaining any traction and now have to refuel. Fuel isn’t cheap and neither are these exams. I just want to start this race and get moving. If you have been here before I would appreciate any words of encouragement. It does mean a lot.

I am posting this quote below on my desk at home as a constant reminder and would like to have others input to put up as well.

This came from the Director of Finance who checks up on my status.

“So if I can offer any words of encouragement, it’s ok to fail as long as you keep your chin up and never lose your focus on the prize. Go Tyler!”

Side note. I love that I can get what’s on my mind on these forums. It’s healthy to let it out and write it down and really helps me.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."  Thomas A. Edison

How bad do you want it?

Regulation For The Win!

FAR 57, 62, 77
    BEC 70,77
    AUD 54,78
    REG 66, 62, 7/29

FAR.BEC.AUD.AUD.BEC.FAR.FAR.REG.REG

Roger CPA Review / Ninja MCQ Supplement

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time - Thomas Edison

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This forum got me through too.

Thanks for sharing.

That's so awesome the Director of Finance offers that level of guidance and support. Really says a lot about the people and business at where your at. I think he/she says it best.

Tux

I suggest – don't jump around to different test sections.

Study one topic and stay with it till you pass.

If you want to study a different topic while waiting for scores from your previous exam, that's fine, but go right back to the first section if you don't pass.

This will keep all the info fresh in your mind, so you don't have to start learning from scratch each time.

The info will build in your mind, instead of starting over.

Sounds like you're already on track for AUD in April, but I would suggest sticking with FAR until you get past it.

FAR is a HUGE amount of information. If you pass something else first, FAR will eat up a lot of time in your 18 month window.

REG is a lot of info too, so for me, personally, I didn't want to squeeze both of those within the 18 months just in case I had to retake some, as well.

It's a balancing act to manage learning everything while also moving forward within the 18 month deadline – oh, and we gotta be passing along the way too. Small detail. Ha!!

FAR - 86 - 2/27/14
    AUD - 75 - 5/29/14
    BEC - 80 - 8/31/14
    REG - 89 - 2/27/15
    Praise Jesus! I'm done!!

Study resources:
    Becker
    Wiley test bank

Martin
    Participant

Do exactly what Tux mentioned as far as I suggest – don't jump around to different test sections.

FAR and Audit has the lowest passing rates. Take FAR (more chapters), and do not stop until you get a 75. If you would have devoted all this energy to FAR only, you would have passed it by now.

Through God all things can happen!

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people;as I grow older, I admire kind people.
    “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.”

FAR= 72-84
    Audit= 73-82
    BEC= 74-75
    Reg=77

REG-FTW86
    Participant

@asimo – the company I work for is incredible. They are so good to me. I'm not in finance right now but am doing this by their recommendation to move into finance.

@Tux – That's a great idea. I figured i'd stick to AUD but maybe I should go attack FAR. I mean according to my scores I'm in the same boat on both of them. I haven't registered for AUD yet so it's not too late.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."  Thomas A. Edison

How bad do you want it?

Regulation For The Win!

FAR 57, 62, 77
    BEC 70,77
    AUD 54,78
    REG 66, 62, 7/29

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time - Thomas Edison

jonm857
    Participant

I'm 0-3 also. I'm starting to like the feeling of getting kicked in the mouth by these tests. It just fuels the rage inside of me and my desire to obliterate them next time around.

Give these tests credit, but not too much credit. They ARE beatable. Put the time in and focus.

B - passed
    A - passed
    R -
    F -

B - 81
    A - 87
    R - 73
    F - July 5th

jrd56202

I failed the first 4 I took. Jumped around when I shouldn't have. I went from a 71 to an 85 in Audit at the end of last August when I was really focused and wanted to pass. I have now retook BEC and REG and failed those both times again…I wasn't working the first time I took the exams and just barely missed the score…Now that I've started full time at a public accounting firm my scores have went down hill. I'm at rock bottom and need the same motivation you do. Wanting to throw in the towel, but right now that is not an option. We can do this! Hopefully lol

BEC-72
    AUD-71, Retake 8/28/14, 85!
    FAR-64
    REG-72

Skynet
    Participant

Let me tell you that I was 0-6 since 2008 until my first and second pass until the last quarter of 2014.

AUD - 90
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 84
    REG - 87
    World Domination Plan

Phase I : Pass CPA Exams - Complete
    Phase II : Megan Fox - In Progress
    Phase III : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase IV : Form the new Charlie's Angels with Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson, & Gal Gadot
    Phase V : TBD

BEC : 78
    REG : 87
    FAR : 84
    AUD : 90

World Domination Plan

Phase II : Megan Fox - Initiated
    Phase III : Bring back 8-Tracks
    Phase IV : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase V : TBA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like Skynet, I was 0-6 before my first pass. You'll get there. And for the record, the only way to fail is to quit.

REG-FTW86
    Participant

0-6, is that 6 testing windows sticking to one exam or 0-6 for different exams because you took multiple in the same testing window?

AUD - 78
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80

How bad do you want it?

Regulation For The Win!

FAR 57, 62, 77
    BEC 70,77
    AUD 54,78
    REG 66, 62, 7/29

Skynet
    Participant

0-6 is from multiple exams from 4 different windows with different setbacks in between those years.

AUD - 90
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 84
    REG - 87
    World Domination Plan

Phase II : Megan Fox - In Progress
    Phase III : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase IV : Form the new Charlie's Angels with Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson, & Gal Gadot
    Phase V : TBD

BEC : 78
    REG : 87
    FAR : 84
    AUD : 90

World Domination Plan

Phase II : Megan Fox - Initiated
    Phase III : Bring back 8-Tracks
    Phase IV : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase V : TBA

As mentioned above, focus on FAR first and plan to pass it before your next section. Plan on spending at least 150 to 200 hours studying. Take practice tests once a week to gage your progress. Sit for FAR once your scoring in the 75-80 range on the practice tests. Repeat for AUD, REG, BEC.

This stuff doesn't come easy for a lot of us so putting in the time is the only way. You'll have to sacrifice your social life and maybe your first born as well, but it will be worth it.

AUD - 90
    FAR - 71, 76
    REG - 75
    BEC - 76 (bubble sucks)

Becker + Ninja MCQ's

Kimboroni

Going back to FAR and taking that until you pass sounds good to me, because it has the most material and it's good to get that beast done. It will also help you with AUD, which you could take again after passing FAR.

FAR needs a good 6-8 weeks of solid focus if you are working full time. Build in about 2 weeks of review at the end of that. Don't let a single day go by that you don't touch the material somehow.

AUD 84 (1/9/14-Wiley books/TB + free materials)
    FAR 83 (5/21/14-the above + NINJA 10 Pt Combo Lite)
    REG 84 (7/9/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC/Notes)
    BEC 76 (10/5/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC)

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

Zuly
    Participant

@THendry I agree with others that you should go back to FAR and try to pass that one first since it's the hardest and longest. I agree with Kimboroni that you’ll need about 6-8 weeks. If I were you I would treat this like your first test. I’m also studying with Roger and he’s great for people who need more of a teaching course. I suggest only taking notes from what he’s writing on the white board. As you go through the material really take the time to understand the concepts. In some cases it would take me more than an hour just to nail down one concept like bond amortization or non-monetary exchanges before I can even start with the MCQs. When I started the MCQs then I would try to find patterns to how the questions were being asked. I also did J/Es with most of the questions or t-accounts to know how things were being accounted for. This will help with SIMS. I didn't practice SIMS but I wished I had so I do advise some practice with SIMS to also help with understanding the concepts from another angle. Also, don’t forget IFRS and government and NFP. I’m so glad I dedicated study time to these because I felt a lot more confident going into my re-take knowing I had made time for these chapters.

So advice: watch videos again, take notes on video lectures, work MCQs in Roger’s test bank and then two weeks before consider buying NINJA MCQs because they are a lot harder than Roger’s and more comprehensive. Review your notes or flash cards every night. Also, the trick to not forgetting stuff is to do 30 cumulative MCQs every day or every other day of sections already covered. As you get closer do 60 if you can. I personally studied every day about 3 hours and 10 hours on weekends in an 8 week period. I’m a slow learner and I needed as much time as possible, especially that I didn’t want to fail again. Hope this helps. Good luck!

FAR - (11/01/14) 71 (02/07/15) 79
    AUD - (04/30/15) 86
    BEC - (07/21/15) 73 (10/01/15) 75
    REG - (11/30/15) 55 (05/19/16) 74

MBolt71

I was 0-5 but finally broke through and passed AUD. I agree with the others who say to stick with one exam until you pass it, because I did jump around and found that I would forget what I had learned before. Wishing you all the best!

AUD - PASSED (62,58,84)
    BEC - PASSED (68,79)
    FAR - (66,71)Halfway there
    REG -

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took the exam a dozen times. So I guess my first piece of advice would be stick with it you can do it no matter how many you fail.

I only used NINJA products on my last exam and I had a 15 point jump from my previous score. So that being said my second piece of advice. NINJA MCQ really does work. The audio on car rides helped so much. I felt like I got an extra hour of studying in every single day.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.