1 Charged Off credit Card and 1 Collection Account>>>Accounting (Public) job

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

NINJAS! I am fairly new to this site but have heard a lot about this site from my brother who is a frequent user of Another71. I have a question to ask because I’ve been hearing about this alot lately. Currently, I work as an accounting clerk for a small company that services mostly large non-profit organizations. I am a bit tired of my job and seeking advancement in my career. I want to work for a public accounting firm because I am great with people and love working in teams. I also have both my bachelors and Masters in accounting. However, I was made aware that before I apply I needed to make sure my finances were in order because of a possible background screening including a credit check. Between getting out of high school and entering college, I acquired a credit card through capital one in which i maxed out and it was delinquent for some time then charged off at $982. I also have 1 account in collection for the amount of $110, I am working with the OC to get it taken care of. I am frightened now that this will come back and bite me in the butt because of those mistakes. Before though I did have other accounts in collections but I hired LL to get them deleted and they got it done except Cap One and the other one. My question is do you think i can still pass a background credit check with this on there? Am i doomed forever with this? Anyone with a similar experience I would love to hear from you on what happened and how you managed to get the job in Public Accounting. Oh and P.S. I work in private accounting and they made me sign a FCRA statement when I applied to authorize a background check and they never said anything to me, they hired me with all of the other stuff before I hired LL to get the other ones off. I’m not sure if they actually ran my credit though because its a small company and im sure if they saw that they probably would have limited my responsibilities. Please tell me im being irrational about my debts.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    MrCPA2B
    Participant

I personally don't see this being an issue! I have heard they only look for amounts that are material (which i believe is any debts over $5000). I had an account in collection when i accepted my job and they never said anything to me! But I think you would be ok just ask someone in HR at the firm you want to go to and see if they can help

AUD- FEB 2014
    BEC- APR 2014
    FAR- MAY 2014
    REG- AUG 2014

Using Wiley CPA Exam Review and Ninja Notes
    May the "Force" be with me!

NumberCruncher4lyfe
    Participant

I agree! The only thing most recruiters and firms look for is to see if you have committed fraud in your own finances. I don't necessarily believe that this is a disqualifier for you. On the bright side it only stays on your CR for 7 years and then it falls off so if that happened some time ago.. you should be close for it to be fallen off. I hired LL too to do some work before i started in public accounting and they got rid of everything mostly medical bills, a few collection accounts to clothing stores from my years of being 18 & 19. But i know better now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When Roger briefly mentioned getting a background check done… he mentioned that the main things these people look for is if you committed any kind of a crime. I can only imagine how many people would get disqualified taking the exam because they let a little credit card balance go.

NumberCruncher4lyfe
    Participant

If it ever comes up you should follow the steps listed in this article. Remember Honesty is the best option.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-steps-deal-employers-credit-report/story?id=20309128

LongShot
    Participant

I've got more credit card debt than you (by a lot, unfortunately) and recently got sweet job at a bank. I know they ran a credit check because I reviewed the invoice before passing it to AP lady to actually pay the thing. Granted, I've never had anything in collections and my overall credit is fairly decent, but I do have a good amount of debt and they didn't care. Heck, I've even got two misdemeanors on my record and neither the bank nor NASBA cared about that (neither were drug or stealing related, just having-once-been-a-stupid-kid related).

FAR - 75
    AUD - 72; 87
    REG - 64; 74; 84
    BEC - 88

Done!!

NumberCruncher4lyfe
    Participant

@Longshot I think because your debts were current and paid and not in collections made a big difference. However the OP has debt thats already progressed into the collections/charge off stage. I think that this is a very sensitive topic that not a lot of people want to face but employers do check credit for jobs in financial services. I'm not sure if they would check for jobs like staff accountant or entry level jobs but they will if you became the CFO or Controller. Having direct access to cash and company credit cards is when it is more of a risk. But look on the bright side there are people working for the government with debt and have the highest security clearances. Its not so much that you have debt in collections, its more of how much debt you have in collections and what actions you have taken to correct it.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.