10 Points increase BUT score report exactly the same

• Creator
    Topic
    OneStep

I got 71 on my AUD retake. My first try on AUD was last May when I scored 61 (probably because I studied only 2- 3 weeks). I studied for 2 months for my retake in February, and I was hoping I will pass.

I was hoping that when I look at my score report, I will be able to see where I improved and which are my weak areas.

I got it today and my score report is EXACTLY the same as my last one. Huh!?? How is that even possible? I am stronger on the SIMS, and stronger on Auditing and Review services, and weaker in all other areas.

Since the report is based on my performance compared to candidates with scores between 75 – 80, and I scored 71 which is pretty close to 75, how come there was not a change in my report? I definitely dont feel weaker in all those other areas, I must say I m sure I know some of these areas very well compared to my first try. At least at comparable level, but definitely not weaker….

Do you think there might be a mistake?

FAR - Apr 2013 - PASSED
    REG - Oct 2013 - PASSED
    AUD - Apr 2014 - PASSED
    BEC - May 2014 - PASSED

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Micky

Got this from the CA board website:

You should use caution in interpreting your content area performance.

Your performance by content area and item type is much less reliable than your total test score because each performance measurment is based on a smaller number of questions.

You should study all content areas when retaking the test. If you study only the areas where you are weak, you might do better on those areas, but worse on others when you re-test.

As you review your performance, keep in mind that there is some imprecision in all assessments, especially when results are based on a smaller number of test questions. Your examination performance could differ from one day to the next, depending on a variety of factors.

Pretty sure it applies to all.

REG-89 (08/26/13)
    FAR-91 (10/28/13)
    BEC-87 (11/25/13)
    AUD-96 (01/06/14)
    Ethics-92 (12/08/13)
    CPA Licensed

Micky

Got this from the CA board website:

You should use caution in interpreting your content area performance.

Your performance by content area and item type is much less reliable than your total test score because each performance measurment is based on a smaller number of questions.

You should study all content areas when retaking the test. If you study only the areas where you are weak, you might do better on those areas, but worse on others when you re-test.

As you review your performance, keep in mind that there is some imprecision in all assessments, especially when results are based on a smaller number of test questions. Your examination performance could differ from one day to the next, depending on a variety of factors.

Pretty sure it applies to all.

REG-89 (08/26/13)
    FAR-91 (10/28/13)
    BEC-87 (11/25/13)
    AUD-96 (01/06/14)
    Ethics-92 (12/08/13)
    CPA Licensed

jternida1
    Participant

@onestep

I also took audit twice and failed both times. I was always strong for mcq but weak for sims. How did you prep for the sims? Pretty sure sims are preventing me from passing

AUD: 74, 67, 76!
    BEC: 70, 75!
    FAR: 76!
    REG: 67, 73, 79!

Using Roger Review Course, Ninja Flashcards, WTB & book

jternida1
    Participant

@onestep

I also took audit twice and failed both times. I was always strong for mcq but weak for sims. How did you prep for the sims? Pretty sure sims are preventing me from passing

AUD: 74, 67, 76!
    BEC: 70, 75!
    FAR: 76!
    REG: 67, 73, 79!

Using Roger Review Course, Ninja Flashcards, WTB & book

OneStep

@jternida1, honestly I dont think I prepared much for the SIMS, i just made sure that i understand the material. I did practice several SIMS in my review book and practiced research questions in the WTB.

I believe I was stronger on the SIMS because I left about 2 hrs for the SIMS and I used the AL search tab. I know for some sims, the AL cant help you much but i was able to find my two research questions pretty easily because i have already practiced that and i knew how to navigate in the AL. I also found another SIM word for word in the AL.

hope that helps!

FAR - Apr 2013 - PASSED
    REG - Oct 2013 - PASSED
    AUD - Apr 2014 - PASSED
    BEC - May 2014 - PASSED

OneStep

@jternida1, honestly I dont think I prepared much for the SIMS, i just made sure that i understand the material. I did practice several SIMS in my review book and practiced research questions in the WTB.

I believe I was stronger on the SIMS because I left about 2 hrs for the SIMS and I used the AL search tab. I know for some sims, the AL cant help you much but i was able to find my two research questions pretty easily because i have already practiced that and i knew how to navigate in the AL. I also found another SIM word for word in the AL.

hope that helps!

FAR - Apr 2013 - PASSED
    REG - Oct 2013 - PASSED
    AUD - Apr 2014 - PASSED
    BEC - May 2014 - PASSED

Study Monk

The reason why your total score is different and your score report is the same is because each category was tested at a different percentage on each exam. The categories that you were stronger on had a higher percentage of points on your most recent exam.

I spoke to an ancient wise man who sent me on a mushroom induced journey through an ancient forest to find the key to passing the CPA exam. A talking spider monkey told me to throw the last of my drinking water in the dirt to find what I was looking for. So I followed his instructions and the following message appeared in the soil:

"Do 5000 multiple choice questions for each section"

Study Monk

The reason why your total score is different and your score report is the same is because each category was tested at a different percentage on each exam. The categories that you were stronger on had a higher percentage of points on your most recent exam.

I spoke to an ancient wise man who sent me on a mushroom induced journey through an ancient forest to find the key to passing the CPA exam. A talking spider monkey told me to throw the last of my drinking water in the dirt to find what I was looking for. So I followed his instructions and the following message appeared in the soil:

"Do 5000 multiple choice questions for each section"

TNIRISH

Surely you realize that the score report is extremely broad and vague. You could be weaker in an area still but still scored better than last time for instance. There is little value to the score report in my experience. With a little more effort you will be passing in no time.

TNIRISH

Surely you realize that the score report is extremely broad and vague. You could be weaker in an area still but still scored better than last time for instance. There is little value to the score report in my experience. With a little more effort you will be passing in no time.

mla1169
    Participant

The score reports are completely useless and don't provide any useful information in my opinion.

Study another 120-150 hours as if its your first time taking this section. Dont be deceived by what you feel is a “close” score. This exam is for all practical purposes pass/fail. I was still as far away with a 71 in Audit as I was with a 49.

FAR- 77
    AUD -49, 71, 84
    REG -56,75!
    BEC -75

Massachusetts CPA (non reporting) since 3/12.

mla1169
    Participant

The score reports are completely useless and don't provide any useful information in my opinion.

Study another 120-150 hours as if its your first time taking this section. Dont be deceived by what you feel is a “close” score. This exam is for all practical purposes pass/fail. I was still as far away with a 71 in Audit as I was with a 49.

FAR- 77
    AUD -49, 71, 84
    REG -56,75!
    BEC -75

Massachusetts CPA (non reporting) since 3/12.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.