150 credits and 1 year work requirement in New York

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I passed all cpa exams sevecral months ago. and have grandfathered the 120 credit requirement in New York. I would like lower my experience requirement from 2 year to 1 year, but I am not sure where to begin with ? I heard that undergraduate courses should be enough to fufill 150 credit requirement ? any advise would be appreciated !

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    mhueycpa
    Participant

First call NASBA and ask what classes you need to take. I need to meet the 150credit requirement as well, I called and they said I just need 25 more credits 3 in ACC and 22 in ANY COURSE WORK (Religion, Basket weaving, etc.) They said I can take classes at any college/university including community colleges. HTH

THE 300 CLUB WILL DO JUST FINE!

Missy
    Participant

I'd think long and hard on it if I were you. Unless someone else would be paying your tuition the $ (plus time) of taking those extra credits is unlikely to make it worthwhile to save yourself the additional year of experience.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Anonymous
    Inactive

the reason I want to take extra credits is that I actually have 10 years accounting experience ( well I am 30+ :/ ) , but unfortunately not able to get my hours sign off.

I just started a position as a controller and do not think I will want to work under a CPA for 2 years. so I may as well plan ahead and lower the 2 year requirement down to 1 year and also able to get to know some young folks at classes.

mhueycpa
    Participant

Cheapest classes will be community college courses. I'm taking 25 Non-Degree credits at a Senior College in the CUNY system for a total cost of $11k ish. Community college would be cheaper, but none are close to where I work.

THE 300 CLUB WILL DO JUST FINE!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.