150 hour requirement specifics…

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have 149 hours from my days of undergrad, so I need one more credit hour to license. My state board website says:

“The board shall grant a license to practice as a certified public accountant to persons who make application and demonstrate:

(1) at least one hundred fifty semester hours of college education, including a baccalaureate or higher degree conferred by a college or university acceptable to the board, with the total educational program including an accounting concentration or equivalent…

To meet the educational requirement as part of the one hundred fifty semester hours of education, the applicant must demonstrate successful completion of:

(1) at least thirty-six semester hours of accounting in courses that are applicable to a baccalaureate, masters, or doctoral degree and which cover financial accounting, managerial accounting, taxation, and auditing, of which at least twenty-four semester hours must be taught at the junior level or above; and

(2) at least thirty-six semester hours of business courses that are applicable to a baccalaureate, masters, or doctoral degree and which may include macro and micro economics, finance, business law, management, computer science, marketing, and accounting hours not counted in item (1).

(C) The board shall accept a transcript from a college or university accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools or another regional accrediting association having the equivalent standards or an independent senior college in South Carolina certified by the State Department of Education for teacher training, and accounting and business programs accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) or any other accrediting agency having equivalent standards. Official transcripts signed by the college or university registrar and bearing the college or university seal must be submitted to demonstrate education and degree requirements. Photocopies of transcripts must not be accepted.”

That’s all it says on the education requirement. My plan was to attend a local university in the Fall to knock out the one credit hour by taking some kind of elective class. Like a physical education class… tennis or something. I wanted to verify that this was alright, so I called up the board and spoke with one of the administrative assistants. He said that the class cannot be an elective, but must be a course required by a student who is seeking a degree on that specific subject. In other words, a core class for any major. I REALLY don’t think that is correct, especially considering the fact that I’ve never seen anything that specific written anywhere or heard of it. Also, I took plenty of elective courses before, all of which count towards my 149 total currently recognized by the board. For example, swimming isn’t required by any major. I took it when I was a full-time student and the board is currently including it in my total count.

I know this is a board rep that I spoke with and I should take his word for it, but… it just seems wrong. So I figured I’d get some insight from you all. I’m concerned because of cost. Any core class is a 3 credit hour course, which will cost much more than a 1 credit hour course, since I’m a part-time student. Any thoughts? Should I call the board and try to speak with someone else? Thanks

*My state is South Carolina, by the way. Also, I have all required accounting and business courses already completed.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Java230

Hey as long as you have the accounting credits done, the rest does not matter (as long is it is on a college or university transcript). I used 3 credits I got in 9th grade in high school for keyboarding (I went to a very poor school) so the teacher wanted everyone to have college credit when leaving 9th grade, so we didn't have to to pay anything just show our teacher we can type 20 words per minute to get credit, and the Board took it (since a local community college actually accepted the credit).I didn't have any other credits at a community college. I submitted just under 150 (from my bachelor degree) from my University and used the few credits from a random community college. So submit any credits you have and/or do some fun classes! I would do cooking class for college credit.

By the way, THANK YOU Mr. HALL!!!!

Licensed WA CPA 2/2015
    Government Auditor Since 2007

Anonymous
    Inactive

Called back this morning and spoke with a different rep. I asked her if there were any restrictions on the type of class and she said no. As long as I have the required accounting and business courses, I could take anything. Without even giving a hint of to what I wanted to take, she threw out the example of taking a golf class at a the local college. As long as a passing grade shows up on a transcript from an accredited college, it works, she says.

I don't know whether to be relieved, angry with the other guy, or remain skeptical as to who is correct… Anyway, thanks Java

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took a golf class for 1 credit and OH is going to accept it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You should also look at taking a CLEP test. I got over 20 hours from CLEP tests. I borrowed a review book from a library, read it, and took the test the next day. I passed them all. They should cost less than $100.

impska

Yeah. That guy didn't know what he was talking about. No one has 150 non-elective classes. That kind of degree doesn't really exist.

All I know is that I've had two different boards accept my credit in Beekeeping – taken in another country, as an elective.

REG - 94
    BEC - 92
    FAR - 92
    AUD - 99

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.