150 hour requirement. Unsure about "repeat classes earned during Masters"

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Appreciate anyone with input or who has been in a similar situation.

I have passed the 4 exams and satisfied the work experience requirement. This is strictly about an odd situation for the hours requirement that I was unable to find any prior discussion about.

After passing my final exam about 2 years ago, I started working full time, and also decided it would be smart to get the additional 30 credits via a MAC. When I applied to sit, my only deficiencies were 12 upper level Accounting credits as I had earned 24 accounting credits and 42 business credits during undergrad. This meant if I wanted to , I could have taken 4 upper level accounting courses, and then 6 courses (18 credits) in anything pretty much to get the extra 30 hours to 150…. I wish I chose this method.

Well, Before being able to take the core level courses of the MAC program ( upper level accounting) I was forced to RETAKE the “equivalent” of the undergraduate level accounting courses of COST accounting, AUDITING, and FINANCIAL REPORTING, but at the “graduate level”. This was because I earned C or C+ in undergrad which was good enough for credit then, but there was a required score of at least a B to take the CORE level MAC classes.

These classes started with 6000, but they were for all intensive purposes, the same class. I took these 9 credits, and then additionally passed 4 UPPER level accounting courses (12 credits). Shortly after this I burned out from the last few years of cpa exam studying, working full time, and pursuing a Masters. I did not pass another Masters Class and then basically dropped my pursuit of it.

I have taken close to a year off from school, thinking that at some point before the end of next year (when it will be 3 years since my last exam passed) I would just go ahead and take 9 credits at community college online to be as painless as possible. This would be the 21 plus 9 credits to get to 30.

It just now hit me that part of those 21 additional hours I earned included 9 hours that were “equivalent courses”, and I am unsure if those would be acceptable. Like I said, I did get the 12 upper level additional accounting credits, so I hope that if the other credits could be in ANYTHING, then a repeat course is acceptable.

Any thoughts? The Florida Board could not answer, and the advisor I used to go to is no longer around. The people at the community college were clueless. I truly appreciate your input as I am currently unable to sleep and panicking.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    M.O.D.

I doubt they will deny them. How would they even know they are equivalent? Who's to say it is not taught at a deeper level by the graduate program.

BA Mathematics, UC Berkeley
    Certificates in CPA and EA preparation, College of San Mateo
    CMA I 420, II 470
    FAR 91, AUD Feb 2015 (Gleim self-study)

h0wdyus

Check the Florida state board of accountancy rules for licensure. Get the relevant section which relates to the education. Write them an email ,quoting the relevant section, along with the link to your courses you are taking. The board has a list of courses with the course Number/Description. I did this with Colorado board, they had the description with the number. If you show them you have done your research they will answer your question. Colorado has a pre licensure evaluation form too, they evaluate your eligibility for licensure for a small fee.

The only one that can answer your question is Florida Board, you have to research it and keep sending them emails to which they can relate too. A generic question asking for all the details will get you a very vague answer. During my search I found out the college you take your courses should be Regionally accredited and not National accreditation. NASBA has a list of Resources for deficient Education, which applies to Boards that are aligned with NASBA, here is the link https://nasba.org/products/nasbainternationalevaluationservices/resources-for-deficient-education/

You can also call NASBA and enquire.

Lastly you should file your licensure application and let them send you a response with the deficiencies, they are then bound to answer your questions.

FAR - 81 29th Aug 2013
    AUD - 84
    REG - 82
    BEC - 89 29th Aug 2014
    Using Yager

FROM NJ

Hammer
    Participant

Had the same question for myself for awhile back. I called my state board. They told me as long as the course had a different course number and the college treats it as a different course you are fine. I had almost 10 classes that were basically the exact thing but had different course numbers. No big deal

FAR - 70, 81
    AUD - 83
    BEC - 77
    REG - 70, 78

Licensed in Ohio.

Now what the hell do I do?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for the responses. I am more at ease now after reading them.

-M.O.D makes a good point about them possibly being completely different courses.

-MCHAMMER- That is definitely good to know since they are courses at 6000 level as opposed to 3000 before. My college treated them as grad level courses.

-Howdyus- I searched the Southern Association via the link you sent me and found the community college I plan on taking the additional courses at in Florida. It is accredited within that region. I will also write the Florida Board with a more specific question.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.