2 Job options… which one is better??

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I found this website recently and see it has some great advice/ topics… so I want to see what thoughts are between 2 options. I know the website is for US CPA’s, but I think it’s still close enough to Canadian experiences.

I have gotten my CA (aka the “better” out of the 3 designations here before the merger of all into CPA’s) around a year ago. I have been working at a small-mid-sized public accounting firm here and don’t have Big4 experience. My audit experience is with private companies, charities, and the typical smaller firm stuff, including personal & corporate taxes…

I haven’t been looking for new job for too long yet (since July), but I do see that there are definitely some jobs I would have a better chance at if I had experience with public companies (using IFRS,).

Anyways, so I have/will have the following 2 options:

1. Senior Financial Analyst at a public company

-It is a manufacturing company and it would be at corporate level and dealing with consolidations as they have many subsidiaries. Although I know from discussion what the job entails, I don’t know if this is something I would love doing or would hate once I would start (I HATE audit, but somewhat enjoy taxes).

I think the best advantage of this position would be that I would get the public company/ IFRS experience which I believe would be quite helpful if I want to get a job at another public company in the future.

I am not sure how good/helpful in the future experience as a “financial analyst” is as I really don’t know much about those jobs and never really researched anything about it in the past.

This job would pay 5 -8k more than other option. Didn’t get offer yet but I’m sure I will since it would be just way too easy for me with only 1 option.

2. Division Controller at private company

-It is a 100+ employee company in life science industry and has been growing fast in past few years and is expecting to continue growing.

I feel like maybe they would have preferred someone a little more experienced, so I think its a good opportunity.

I work with a lot of controllers in private companies and always think they have jobs I would like.

Overall, I am not exactly certain what I wanna do in the future but would much prefer something I like then something I hate with more money.

Other than that there are no real other factors that would sway decision. Similar commute time (well 1 is closer with bad traffic, 1 is further against traffic), good health benefits @ both, maybe public company would have better retirement matching plans.

Very little overtime is expected at private company, and I have no idea how much would be needed for analyst position, I didn’t think to ask at the time.

Sorry so long… if anyone has any thoughts or opinions I would be happy to hear it

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    rana_cali

Hmm well they actually both sound like good opportunities. It seems you are more interested in the Controller opportunity, and since u prefer doing something you like than getting more money with something u hate, I would definitely go for the Controller opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I think having a financial analyst position on ur resume looks great, but seems u are more inclined towards the Controller position…so trust ur gut 🙂

AUD: 84
    FAR: 75
    BEC: 78
    REG: 75

DONE-ZO!!!!!!!!

REG: Used Becker 2014 book, NINJA MCQ, Ninja notes, ninja audio

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.