2017 CPA Exam

• Creator
    Topic
    stockmarket1101
    Participant

Hello All. I am new to this forum. Im a current student with about a year left until finishing my bachelors of accountancy in the state of michigan. I recently heard about the new 2017 changes to the cpa exam, and it kinda worries me. I am in intermediate accounting 1 right now and struggling to maintain a C. I feel like everything isn’t clicking right away, but I really wanna go for my CPA. From past experience, can anyone give me some hope that this can be done?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    steve777
    Participant

Are you putting enough effort in the class?

stockmarket1101
    Participant

Yes it is just very difficult, I'm learning what I am getting wrong.

steve777
    Participant

Just keep trying man and atleast your not like a nursing major or something. Nursing majors are a lot harder than accounting majors, not that I'm a nursing major lol

steve777
    Participant

And if I was you I would do nothing except study for the cpa after you graduate until you pass all 4 parts

stockmarket1101
    Participant

you think i can just study really hard for CPA and learn as i study after graduating?

steve777
    Participant

Yes and purchase a cpa kit like Wiley or something.

patelhj1
    Participant

Focus on getting the state requirement to qualify for the test. Take it step at a time. Even if you don't do so well in your accounting class now as long as you have a passion and dedication you will succeed.

PASSED ALL CPA EXAM AUG 2016

BECKER / NINJA MCQ

BEC 78 08/2015
    REG 71 11/2015, RETAKE 83 01/2016
    FAR 75! 5/2016
    AUD ? 8/2016

Becker with Nonstop NINJA MCQ
    Google most difficult professional exam

12tang
    Participant

You'll just have to worry about the CPA when that time comes. Right now, you need to focus your energy on your classes. You'll be able to see the bigger picture once you complete your courses. After that, the material isn't really difficult to learn for the CPA, it's just exhausting. It's really a test of discipline and diligence on your behalf and you will have to invest the time.

BEC - PASS

FAR - PASS

AUD - PASS

REG - PASS

BOOM!  JUST LIKE THAT, I GOT MY LIFE BACK!  =D

Using Becker self-study
    FAR: (82) 175 hours - 1st attempt
    BEC: (XX)
    AUD: (69) 45hrs of study - 1st attempt
    REG: (XX)

Jdn9201
    Participant

Take things one step at a time – focus on passing your classes first. Don't get discouraged – it takes a while for things to click, especially when you are only seeing it in a classroom environment. I've always been very good at Math and I drove myself nuts trying to understand double-sided entry accounting. It took me a long time to get debits and credits too. I really didn't feel confident about it until I had an intern bookkeeping job my senior year of college.

BEC - 88 8/29/15
    REG - 82 11/14/15
    AUD - 83 1/8/16
    FAR - 80 2/29/16

CPA2BEE
    Participant

Don't even think about the CPA exam right now, there will be plenty of time for that to ruin your life when it comes time for you to study for it. I can't imagine the 2017 changes are going to make it THAT much more difficult to pass. As you will see from many people's scores on this forum (including my own), this thing is already brutal to pass.

The material might not make sense to you now, and it still might not even make sense once your done with you classes, but when it comes time to study for the CPA exam you are going to see the material and at least be able to say “Ok, I've seen this before”. Just do one thing at a time, this is a long journey for all of us.

CA CPA - est. Dec 2016

FAR - 80
    AUD - 82
    BEC - 80
    REG - 85

ETHICS - 90
    EXPERIENCE - COMPLETE
    Application for California license mailed 8/4/2016

stockmarket1101
    Participant

When yall study for it does it tell you how to do the problem too? Cuz lets say im not understanding a topic now, when i review for the CPA, will it explain how?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you really want to be a CPA don't get discouraged. I graduated with a 2.9 gpa and 3.05 major gpa with plenty of Cs is hard accounting classes. I wasn't even sure I ever wanted to take the CPA because I wasn't sure I was capable of passing. I waited until k was out of school for a couple years to start my journey because I realized it was going to be hanging over my head if I never gave it a try. Well I started studying on August 1st and passed what many people would say is the hardest to pass and just took Audit today. If all goes well I could be halfway done when 6 months ago I wasn't sure I was ever going to take it. I think you will find studying for the exam is much different. I had trouble focusing on accounting and studying for tests until I absolutely had to in college as there were so many distractions. I waited until i was ready to give it my all. It's amazing how much a difference looking at the materials daily makes.

And yes any decent review course will tell you what you did wrong on a question. I am using the ninja 10 point combo and it has been great so far. All I am trying to say is that I don't think course grades necessarily mean how good or not you will do on the exam as the exam is all about putting in the time and effort.

Tscape16
    Participant

Don't even think about the exam. Get your degree first, then you can worry about your next step. You won't be able to even sit for the exam if you don't hit the requirements. Intermediate is typically a weed out class for the unfaithful.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 90
    REG - 82
    Licensed CPA since 2015.

FAR - 90 ✔
    BEC - 86 ✔
    REG - 82 ✔
    AUD - 92 ✔
    ETHICS - Passed

*Licensed CPA

Tncincy
    Participant

I had the same dilemma a few years ago, to study for the exam or finish school at the same time. Well my adviser encouraged me to finish school. I though she was saying that to make money for the school (lol) but I am glad I finished before trying to tackle this exam. School is the place to nail down the concepts. But finish then focus on the test. I'm still working on the test. Nail down those concepts while you can. You're getting some really good advice on this topic.

@cubfan23, great comments. Sometimes we can get caught up with gpa's. the gpa might indicate how well you learn, but does not determine how good a professional you'll become. One thing for sure, if we study, we'll pass.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

z91
    Participant

Do the best you can in school, and I agree with what others are saying jump on that exam the minute you are out and start studying. Everything will still be very fresh in your mind from school, which will be two times easier while studying because it will trigger things you remember.

Good luck!

AUD - 87, September 2020
    BEC - 83, December 2019
    FAR - 86, May 2020
    REG - 85, May 2019

REG - November 30, 2015 - 87
    BEC - February 5, 2016
    FAR- TBA
    AUD- TBA

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.