24 Accounting Units Requirement

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a question regarding the 24 accounting unit prerequisite to sit in for the CPA exams.

I took a course at San Diego State called Accounting 505: Fraud Examination. Does this count as an accounting unit? This course was an accounting elective.

I have 151 units and this is just the one thing I don’t know, as Accounting subjects are defined by CBA Regulations section 9.2(b) to include: Accounting, Auditing, Financial Reporting, External or Internal Reporting, Financial Statement Analysis, and Taxation.

Has anyone taken a similar course and got credit for it?

Thank you.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    vvSPAZvv
    Participant

@adam92 While I did not take a course with that precise title, I did have a similar question when I was applying. When I called my state board, they advised anything was an “ACC” course label would more than likely be accepted. You may want to call your state board just to be sure, but I'd assume it would be accepted.

FAR - 76! 10/15; (65) 7/15
    BEC - 82! 11/15; (74) 8/15
    AUD - 01/16
    REG - TBA

Anonymous
    Inactive

I called the California Board of Accountancy and the guy really was not helpful whatsoever. He said that “it depends on the subject course matter” or something along those lines. I told him the class is ACCTG*** and the subject was Fraud Examination, but I took away nothing from what he said.

On the course catalog under Accounting 505 it says:

Skills and tools for auditors, consultants, tax professionals,

managers. Techniques and technologies for fraud investigation

and interviewing. Case analysis, research of public records, ethical

decision-making for accountants.

Do you think that makes it count?

MaLoTu
    Participant

I am fairly certain that they will use it towards your 24 units of accounting. Is this for your application to sit or for your license?

Almost always from my phone... please excuse my typos!

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is for my application to sit. I had my school send in official transcripts the other day and today I was going to submit the California application for the Uniform CPA Examination.

MaLoTu
    Participant

As long as it is an accounting course with the accounting prefix from an accredited school, I do not see how they couldn't accept it.

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

@MaLoTu that it is, but I was just scared that they would see that it's called ACCTG 505: “Fraud Examination” and reject it because it doesn't have the word “Accounting” in the course title. But it is an Accounting Course with the Accounting prefix from an accredited school, I just don't know if they knit pick these kind of things.

MaLoTu
    Participant

You can try calling back and see if you can talk to someone else.

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

They keep transferring me over to the examination unit where they keep saying the line is busy and nobody ever picks up…pretty frustrating.

MaLoTu
    Participant

that is frustrating! mornings tend to be the best time to reach them.

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.