27 & not sure where to start

• Creator
    Topic
    mcap28

Hello all. I am going to start this thread by saying that I am 27 y/o and have little accounting exp. I graduated back in 2008 with a B.S. in accounting. The market was tough and I didn’t graduate with an overall great GPA, which prevented me from landing an actual accountant position. I took my first job that became the next 4 years of my life, until i was recently laid off. What little experience I do have in accounting field is mostly cost accounting. My main concern on moving forward to study for the CPA is that there is a great deal of information that I have not seen in a very long time; making it difficult for me to decided where I should really start in terms of studying. I plan on purchasing used study material due to my current financial situation. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments as to how I should tackle this problem?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Gatorbates
    Participant

I became eligible when I was 27, then put it off because of work, marriage and kids. I became unemployed about 18 months ago, so used it to get back into the exam mode. I'm now 40, so it's never too late. Some words of wisdom: Do it now. Don't let any more time pass. That's my one regret. It will make you SO much more marketable if you ever lose your position, or are looking to upgrade. As far as where to start, I would start with your strongest point, which as you say is cost accg. So I'd say BEC (even though I hated that one!). I'm a tax guy and started with REG, and passed on my first attempt, so it gives you confidence and starts the ball rolling.

Good luck!

Licensed Florida CPA:
    B: 71, 73, 79
    A: 83
    R: 78 (expired), 77
    F: 74, 74, 80

It's finally freaking over.

Gatorbates
    Participant

I became eligible when I was 27, then put it off because of work, marriage and kids. I became unemployed about 18 months ago, so used it to get back into the exam mode. I'm now 40, so it's never too late. Some words of wisdom: Do it now. Don't let any more time pass. That's my one regret. It will make you SO much more marketable if you ever lose your position, or are looking to upgrade. As far as where to start, I would start with your strongest point, which as you say is cost accg. So I'd say BEC (even though I hated that one!). I'm a tax guy and started with REG, and passed on my first attempt, so it gives you confidence and starts the ball rolling.

Good luck!

Licensed Florida CPA:
    B: 71, 73, 79
    A: 83
    R: 78 (expired), 77
    F: 74, 74, 80

It's finally freaking over.

stoleway
    Participant

@mcap28

I have bachelors degree and master degree in accounting, I got my bachelors degree in Africa and moved over here for my MBA, I thought things was going to be easy after my MBA but apparently its not going the way I planned. I have no experience in accounting so I decided to start from scratch by accepting an Account Payable job with a large telecom company. Its not easy to get a real accounting job when you have no experience NOT even the entry level.

One exciting thing for me is that I have real hopes, I fight hard enough to prove myself worthy. well blah…blah

I have also seen that mordern accounting recruiters will always put your resume at the top when youre a CPA, being a candidate and having an exam under your belt can also help in terms of job searching.

CPA designation is very important and has become the top accounting designation one can boast off.

When you are thinking about being a CPA, think about the reason why you want it , the exams is so hard and crazy that anyone pursuing it need to have a great motivation and not think about quiting until the job is done.

There is a whole lot to study, it gets depressing sometimes but only thing to keep you going is the desire to succeed.

Im 29, I started this journey 9 months ago and Im still struggling, its actually not a big deal! If you study hard you will make it.

Since you have some exposure with cost accounting, why dont you start with BEC?

REG -63│ 84!!
    BEC- 59│70│ 71 │78!
    AUD- 75!
    FAR- 87!

Mass-CPA

stoleway
    Participant

@mcap28

I have bachelors degree and master degree in accounting, I got my bachelors degree in Africa and moved over here for my MBA, I thought things was going to be easy after my MBA but apparently its not going the way I planned. I have no experience in accounting so I decided to start from scratch by accepting an Account Payable job with a large telecom company. Its not easy to get a real accounting job when you have no experience NOT even the entry level.

One exciting thing for me is that I have real hopes, I fight hard enough to prove myself worthy. well blah…blah

I have also seen that mordern accounting recruiters will always put your resume at the top when youre a CPA, being a candidate and having an exam under your belt can also help in terms of job searching.

CPA designation is very important and has become the top accounting designation one can boast off.

When you are thinking about being a CPA, think about the reason why you want it , the exams is so hard and crazy that anyone pursuing it need to have a great motivation and not think about quiting until the job is done.

There is a whole lot to study, it gets depressing sometimes but only thing to keep you going is the desire to succeed.

Im 29, I started this journey 9 months ago and Im still struggling, its actually not a big deal! If you study hard you will make it.

Since you have some exposure with cost accounting, why dont you start with BEC?

REG -63│ 84!!
    BEC- 59│70│ 71 │78!
    AUD- 75!
    FAR- 87!

Mass-CPA

tarmacjerry

@mcap28

I started my journey when I was 30, having spent the previous 4 years self employed in a completely different arena. I needed to start with an area I was most familiar with, which was Regulation. I had been filing personal income taxes since college and knew much of the information. Additionally if I spent too much time on the other sections and credit would have lapsed I wouldn't be completely discouraged as I already had the familiarity.

I suggest you starting with the section you are most comfortable with. Passing Regulation the first time around gave me enough motivation to carry me through the next two sections (sat 2x for each). Had I not passed the first time around I can say for certain I would have continued to pursue obtaining the license.

REG: POW!
    BEC: WHAM!
    AUD: KAPOW!
    FAR: SPLAAT!!

Impatiently watching the clock as 2,000 hours ticks away...

tarmacjerry

@mcap28

I started my journey when I was 30, having spent the previous 4 years self employed in a completely different arena. I needed to start with an area I was most familiar with, which was Regulation. I had been filing personal income taxes since college and knew much of the information. Additionally if I spent too much time on the other sections and credit would have lapsed I wouldn't be completely discouraged as I already had the familiarity.

I suggest you starting with the section you are most comfortable with. Passing Regulation the first time around gave me enough motivation to carry me through the next two sections (sat 2x for each). Had I not passed the first time around I can say for certain I would have continued to pursue obtaining the license.

REG: POW!
    BEC: WHAM!
    AUD: KAPOW!
    FAR: SPLAAT!!

Impatiently watching the clock as 2,000 hours ticks away...

Wanna_B_TXCPA2014
    Participant

The first place I would start is ensuring that you meet your state's requirement for accounting hours. If you do then, then you need to find a review course. If you dont then you need to get your additional hours.

If you can sit for the exam in your state, then do some research online as to what review course best suits your learning style. Once you find a review course you like, the begin your preparation to passing the exam.

I am using Yeager and they suggest taking the exam in the following order: FAR, AUD, REG, BEC.

Does this help?

Wanna_B_TXCPA2014
    Participant

The first place I would start is ensuring that you meet your state's requirement for accounting hours. If you do then, then you need to find a review course. If you dont then you need to get your additional hours.

If you can sit for the exam in your state, then do some research online as to what review course best suits your learning style. Once you find a review course you like, the begin your preparation to passing the exam.

I am using Yeager and they suggest taking the exam in the following order: FAR, AUD, REG, BEC.

Does this help?

Kenada

Its never too late to start but as mentioned above, start it as soon as possible – don't put it off.

Also I totally agree with what has been said…when you start – keep that motivation of why you started this journey very close to your heart. There have been times I have wanted to kick the exams aside cause i could not take one more day of studying. Then I have to remind myself why I started this in the first place.

Everyone is different and one of things I didn't do was check out the different review providers. I started with Becker and It did not work for me. So i moved to Rogers and couldn't be happier.

My suggestion to you is – you tube the CPA reviewer. Watch the video and pick the one you liked the best. you need to enjoy the lecture as well gain the knowledge from it.

By the way I am 33 with Bachelors in Accounting. I have the ACCA from the UK (14 Exams to get licensed), CGA from Canada (16 Exams to get licensed.. Thank God they gave me exemptions for the first stages so had only 6 exams to sit)

Lastly CPA – 4 Exams… just 2 more to go and I can say “my decade of studying is over and done with” – Hello World where have you been ?

FAR 05/27/14; 786/110 - Done !

Kenada

Its never too late to start but as mentioned above, start it as soon as possible – don't put it off.

Also I totally agree with what has been said…when you start – keep that motivation of why you started this journey very close to your heart. There have been times I have wanted to kick the exams aside cause i could not take one more day of studying. Then I have to remind myself why I started this in the first place.

Everyone is different and one of things I didn't do was check out the different review providers. I started with Becker and It did not work for me. So i moved to Rogers and couldn't be happier.

My suggestion to you is – you tube the CPA reviewer. Watch the video and pick the one you liked the best. you need to enjoy the lecture as well gain the knowledge from it.

By the way I am 33 with Bachelors in Accounting. I have the ACCA from the UK (14 Exams to get licensed), CGA from Canada (16 Exams to get licensed.. Thank God they gave me exemptions for the first stages so had only 6 exams to sit)

Lastly CPA – 4 Exams… just 2 more to go and I can say “my decade of studying is over and done with” – Hello World where have you been ?

FAR 05/27/14; 786/110 - Done !

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.