3 Weeks left until FAR! Need help with plan of attack asap!!

• Creator
    Topic
    ML
    Participant

So my first section is FAR which is coming up the end of this month. I’m using Roger CPA review along with Ninja MCQs and Notes. I am also working full time at a CPA firm, 40 hours a week for the time being until things pick up again. I need suggestions on what you think would be the best approach at this point.

Currently, my plan of attack right now is to skip the lectures, read the chapters (I learn better reading anyways), do the problems in the book and go straight to the Ninja MCQs. Not going to do the Roger online MCQs unless I need to. And of course the Nina Notes. I am currently about 1/3 of the way through with the materials, needless to say I’ve been dragging my feet a little and now I’m cutting it close. My fault. But any advice through your experiences is much appreciated!

Thanks!

AUD (08/31/18) - PASSED  [ROGER + NINJA]

BEC (05/22/17) - PASSED  [ROGER]

FAR (06/06/18) - PASSED  [ROGER + NINJA]

REG (09/07/17) - PASSED  [ROGER]

CA PETH - 94 (09/17/18)

I can't believe I am done. It was slow, unsteady, and painful. But so so worth it.

FAR - 7/31/14
    AUG - ???
    REG - ???
    BEC - ???

"These are the precincts of pain. A goddess lives here. Her name is victory." - Unknown

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Your plan is good in terms of what you want to go over (book, problems, Ninja MCQ), but I'm not sure that 3 weeks is enough time to get through the remaining 2/3s AND do all the MCQ. Any way you can back your test up just a week or two to give you enough time for a good 2 week review? FAR has a lot of material and skimming through it will probably hurt you.

Kimboroni

Agreed. Since this is your first test, you might be underestimating just how much work they are to pass.

AUD 84 (1/9/14-Wiley books/TB + free materials)
    FAR 83 (5/21/14-the above + NINJA 10 Pt Combo Lite)
    REG 84 (7/9/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC/Notes)
    BEC 76 (10/5/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC)

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

ML
    Participant

Thanks for your input CPAMommy & Kimboroni! Unfortunately I've backed up the exam as much as I can. July 31 is the last day of this testing window until the October – November window.

To give you an idea of how my time is spread out. I put in about 3-3.5 hours a day, sometimes more. I get about 1 hour in before work, 1 hour during lunch, and 1-2 hours after work. Somedays, I crank out 3 hours after work if mornings or lunch don't work. Either way, I get 3-3.5 in on weekdays. 6-8 on weekends. So between right now (ironically I'm at the library as we speak) and until July 31, I should get in 110-120 hours. Kimboroni is right in a sense that it's my first section, I may be overwhelmed, but I'm already imagining the absolute worst lol. Regardless how it goes, I guess taking the exam itself will be a good experience to have. Keep it coming guys Thanks

CA PETH - 94 (09/17/18)

I can't believe I am done. It was slow, unsteady, and painful. But so so worth it.

FAR - 7/31/14
    AUG - ???
    REG - ???
    BEC - ???

"These are the precincts of pain. A goddess lives here. Her name is victory." - Unknown

Kimboroni

You're sneaking in study time wherever you can, so that's great!

But unless you have your own scheduling issues or an expiring NTS, you can test in August also. Q3 is July/August, with September as the blackout month.

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

ML
    Participant

Kimboroni – You're right! I can take it August. That gives slight relief, but I do have an expiring NTS. I was expecting the worse so I already put another app in. With luck I should have my next NTS by August, so what I'll do is take the FAR July 31 and again end of August but I'll keep studying. That's actually great because I wanted to take REG in Oct-Nov before tax season… I'll cross my fingers and bang my head on this book and see what happens. Digging the ninja shirt btw.

CA PETH - 94 (09/17/18)

FAR - 7/31/14
    AUG - ???
    REG - ???
    BEC - ???

Kimboroni

You can only take a section once in each window, however. So if you don't pass FAR this window, you can't try again until Q4. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

Thanks!

ML
    Participant

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Well, I'm gonna do my best anyways, thanks again for the help!

CA PETH - 94 (09/17/18)

FAR - 7/31/14
    AUG - ???
    REG - ???
    BEC - ???

Kimboroni

If you can really put the time in, it's possible to get it done this month.

You can always view just a part of Roger's videos if you need a little more clarification on something– he does a great job explaining things and writes everything on a white board, and he has great ways to remember things, too (like TT BPO 75 and 90). So if you can play them in the background while doing your other studying, you might soak up some tidbits.

Speaking of tidbits, I really like Ninja audio and found it to be a huge help in passing FAR by listening to it repeatedly any time I drive.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.