3 weeks to study BEC while working Full-time

• Creator
    Topic
    swimgirl2005

HELP. I need advice on how to study and work full time for BEC. I am taking the exam August 28. I have not started “officially” studying. I am very nervous for the first 3 sections. Does anyone have any advice?!!

B: 8/28/14
    A:71,73,73 RETAKE 1/5/15
    R: 10/11/14
    F: 11/26/14

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Assuming you're an American candidate, it's probably between 2 and 5 PM where you are right now. That means you still have time to get a lot of studying in tonight and my advice to you is to take advantage of every minute. Let's say you usually go to bed at 11pm – you have 6-9 hours to study still tonight. For BEC, that should get you through at least a couple chapters if not more.

Think of all your time like that – how much you can use for studying. That's what it will take to be ready for BEC by 8/28.

How much time can you study through the week? Let's say, theoretically, you think you can get 2 hours of study per week day. (A lot of people who work full-time do more than that, but each person's abilities vary, so we'll use 2 hours for an example.) There's 18 business days before your exam, so that's 36 hours of studying at 2 hours per work day. On the weekend, let's say you can get in 14 hours (2 7-hour days, 1 10-hour and 1 4-hour, etc.). There's 3 full weekends between now and then, so that's another 42 hours. That gets you up to 78 hours plus whatever time you can still study today – I've seen a lot of people say around 80 hours is about right for BEC with a lecture-based course, so you should be in good shape.

That's the way you have to think to make your deadline – look at each day and each minute and make the most out of it. If the weekends seem like 14 hours would be too much, do more during the week, etc.

This is all assuming you're doing lecture-based study. If you're doing book-based, then you probably won't even need that much time. I did book-based and would have to look back to remember exactly how much study time I had, but know it was below 50 hours, want to say more like 40 hours, so if you're book-based, you should have plenty of time.

Either way, just put your nose to the grindstone and get to work! 🙂

mla1169
    Participant

While I think BEC in 3 weeks csn be done, I think you should push it out until the beginning of October if your NTS isn't expiring in August. Its not like your 18 month clock is ticking, you were already pretty frustrated with coming so close but not getting to 75 yet, sounds like the extra tine would benefit you.

FAR- 77
    AUD -49, 71, 84
    REG -56,75!
    BEC -75

Massachusetts CPA (non reporting) since 3/12.

Kimboroni

Yes, given your other recent thread, I'm with MLA and think getting a win under your belt would really benefit you, and rushing to do it this month probably isn't going to be the best approach. You can probably do it using the time management techniques Lilla suggested if you really have to. But if you don't have to, maybe you shouldn't if you really want to give yourself the best chance of success.

AUD 84 (1/9/14-Wiley books/TB + free materials)
    FAR 83 (5/21/14-the above + NINJA 10 Pt Combo Lite)
    REG 84 (7/9/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC/Notes)
    BEC 76 (10/5/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC)

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.