30 year old w/ only internship experience looking for entry role?

• Creator
    Topic
    Rivens
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you would have any advice for me. I am 30, graduated almost 7 years ago, and have been working in different jobs than accounting since I graduated. I have 2 internship experiences, including a year in a public firm but again, that was a while ago.

I am currently self-employed developing websites and I’ve decided that I really want to become an accountant. I am planning to pass the CPA in about a 5 month window to give myself a resume boost as well as show employers that I am serious about becoming an accountant.

I know I would be competing against fresh graduates with good GPAs and fresher experience, so I know I am at a disadvantage.

Any tips for me in terms of timing or job prospects or resume builders or job experience opportunities would be helpful. Thank you.

Brah u srs
    FAR - 85
    BEC - 77
    AUD - 71 -> 61 -> 71 -> 67
    REG - 75

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    fuzyfro89
    Participant

If I were an employer, and I saw a web-developer who studied accounting 5+ years ago applying for an accounting related position today, I'd have the very obvious question going through my mind: “Why now?”.

If they have other candidates available who are less risky, then you're probably going to the bottom of the pile. Your challenge is to get in front of people and SELL yourself.

If I were in your shoes, I'd focus completely on passing the exams. If you can pass all of them (ideally), or at least 2 of them, it will go a long way to show that you are serious about changing your career. More importantly, it will demonstrate that you haven't forgotten all your accounting knowledge.

Age isn't important. It's not legal for an employer to ask in most (all?) states. No need to bring it up.

Track55
    Participant

I don't think you need to pass all of them. Even passing one will help. At interviews it does come up and the next question is “when is the next test?” My resume shows:

CPA Candidate: California Board of Accountancy

REG Exam: Passed. I don't put the score. If they want it that bad they can look at Linkedin.

I am also in my 30's and look like a kid. However they can still tell from your transcript how old you are since it has the years.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 86
    REG - 92
    California - Internal Audit

CPA since December 2016.

(took seven tries, 1 year 10 months).

AUD - 74, 99 !!
    REG - 74, 92
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 73, 86

Studying for Ethics exam

California candidate
    Business and Industry

Lost1
    Participant

If I were you, I would aim for small public accounting firms. partners at small firms are more likely to look for someone who is going to stay long term. The cost of hiring and training new hires is expensive. small firms tend to put more focus on this area than bigger firms. I don't think you need to try to hide your age. Surprisingly a lot of partners actually appreciate older candidates because they tend to be more career minded and stay long term. Public accounting has high turnovers and there are a lot of firms out there that are desperate for any help they can find because one of the senior snapped and quit, or staff on maternity leave…etc. This is actually a not a bad time to ask around. 5 weeks before 9/15 deadline. This is the time partners and managers realize they have a lot more work than it seemed and panic kicks in a little.

if you are someone with basic accounting knowledge and some computer skills – someone who can rollover prior year workpapers to current year and data entries (k-1s and 1099s), I think you got a shot at finding a entry level position right now before 8/15!. good luck

"If you can do it, I can do it better."

Rivens
    Participant

Thanks guys. I know that I can bring my own unique intangibles to the table, nail the interview, and I plan to provide a presentation and answers for objections in future interviews. Main concern is if I can land an interview I guess. And yes, I will definitely need to pass my exams to show commitment! Which is why I can't be looking for a job in the near term, because I need to nail these exams first. Fortunately, being self-employed gives me a lot of flexibility for studying.

Brah u srs
    FAR - 85
    BEC - 77
    REG - 75

Missy
    Participant

Do not put the year you graduated on your resume. It's completely irrelevant unless you're a new grad with no experience.

Be sure to tailor your resume to your audience. Don't care how great you are at web design, very few people will grasp the technical jargon that is impressive to you. Stick to your soft skills, customer relations, problem solving, etc.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Jim Deal

I disagree, turn your weakness into a selling point by targeting accounting firms in your area that have a focus in IT. Being able to relate to and understand the client and their operations is an enormous advantage and one Partners will pick up on immediately if you're going into audit.

Instead of trying to appear like everyone else, differentiate—carve and exploit a niche. The client will appreciate being able to talk to someone who speaks their language and you'll feel much more comfortable in an environment that you are familiar with.

Missy
    Participant

Neurons I agree with your reasoning above however the first person to review a resume is generally HR or a recruiter who actually is looking for certain keywords and homogenous traits. You have to go through them first to get to the partner or manager who will be impressed with the niche skillset. Load up a resume with terms like binary language or SQL language (bad examples, not IT inclined) and the person filtering the resumes through doesn't make the “hey this could be an asset to our clients” connection.

Resume gets you an interview, the wow factor comes during an interview.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Rivens
    Participant

Yes, thank you for the tips. I used to digress too much at interviews when I was younger and treated it too informally, but I feel my next will be a breeze.

Also, yes, I do plan on catering my entire resume for the recruiter. I will highlight my CPA candidacy 150+ credit hours and (by then) finished with the exams. I will be having my graphic designer to help it look just a bit more interesting than the rest in the pile too.

Also, yes, I would never put SQL or more detail than necessary about my technical skills. Those acronyms would probably mean nothing to people in the accounting industry, lol.

Brah u srs
    FAR - 85
    BEC - 77
    REG - 75

Jim Deal

I respectfully disagree but do what you feel is right for you. I have a highly technical niche background (no accounting experience) and received two Big 4 offers (interviewed with three) and more interviews with mid-size and smaller firms than I could attend precisely because my resume really stood out.

I had the same concerns you did but chose to differentiate knowing that I couldn't compete by trying to look like more of the same.

Best of luck either way!

Rivens
    Participant

@Neurons, Are you in a consulting segment? I have a friend who studied biology or some science and he is working at Accenture as a medical science consultant or some sort (he also did not study accounting).

Brah u srs
    FAR - 85
    BEC - 77
    REG - 75

Jim Deal

@Ronsoness Audit, I considered consulting but I wanted to keep my options open with respect to exit strategies. If I can hack it for more than two rounds without going insane I might consider moving around.

FYI, bright lines on your service line preference during the interview.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.