4 weeks enough to restudy and take FAR?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I did not pass FAR this time around. I’ve got 4 weeks until I leave the state for a bachelor party.

Do you guys think 4 weeks is enough for me to study FAR? it’s been 2 weeks since I’ve done any studying, so the material is somewhat fresh. I plan on studying starting tomorrow.

My plan is to just go through the previous 10 chapters and redo all the MCQs I missed on the first go-around. Then I will just do sets of 100 MCQ progress tests.

Any other tips? I really want to nail it this time around, before the extension busy season begins..

Let’s put a nail in this coffin once and for all! I’m so devastated that this failure ruined my summer plans..

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Kimboroni

I would think that'd be enough. You're pretty close, so it really could be just a matter of luck and getting a different test that better hits your stronger points, but of course that could as easily go the other direction as well. So you don't want to underestimate the situation. But it sounds like a solid plan to me.

AUD 84 (1/9/14-Wiley books/TB + free materials)
    FAR 83 (5/21/14-the above + NINJA 10 Pt Combo Lite)
    REG 84 (7/9/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC/Notes)
    BEC 76 (10/5/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC)

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

Mamabear

Yes. 4 weeks is enough time for a FAR retake. Your plan sounds good. Get in as many MCQ as you can, but make sure you really try to understand why you got them wrong. It won't help to just go through them and memorize questions/answers. You can do it!

CPA Exam - Finally DONE (November 2014)
    BEC (08/10/13) 80
    AUD (08/24/13) 65 (11/13/13) 85
    FAR (04/12/14) 81
    REG (07/19/14) 69 (11/29/14) 87!!

MintsRGood
    Participant

Yes, 4 weeks of intense and focused prep should get through a retake! I agree with Mamabear that it's critical to take notes on your incorrect responses and understand why each answer is correct and the other choices are incorrect. Take each MCQ as 4 learning opportunities. Good luck!!!! 🙂

REG: 75 DONE 🙂
    AUD: 61, 71, 68, 92 DONE 🙂
    BEC: 76 DONE 🙂
    FAR: 72, 74, 79 DONE 🙂
    Licensed Michigan CPA 🙂
    -Some people dream of success...others wake up and work hard for it!!!
    -The cowards never start and the weak die along the way!
    -You better work, b***h!
    -Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.-JFK

Anonymous
    Inactive

Definitely enough time. My suggestion:

1) Start with the first chapter, and transcribe the notes into flashcards

2) Do the MCQ's for this chapter until you are comfortable with the material

3)Do steps 1 & 2 with the next chapter, and so forth.

4) Keep reviewing those notecards in your “non-MCQ time” (car rides, ect.)

This is my method for final review. It works.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes. I took FAR the first time 11/16. Started studying for AUD then found out early/mid-December that I got a 74. I switched form AUD back to FAR and took my FAR retake on 1/4. I only got a 77 on my retake, but I passed with only a few weeks of studying. I hadn't done nearly enough MCQ for my first attempt so that's all I did to prep for my retake. Clearly I didn't do great, but I got my pass so that's all that mattered.

taxgeek83
    Participant

That's about what I spent on my second time around, and I passed. I would highly recommend the Ninja MCQs, especially if you've thoroughly exhausted your Becker test bank (just assuming that's what you have, from your signature). I've never used the Becker test bank, but I do have Wiley and Ninja is so much better. Highlights your weak points almost down to the tiniest detail. It's a pretty sweet setup. Make sure you go through the whole thing, figure out where you're still lacking knowledge, and go back and review until you figure it out. Got me past a 75!

Zhaba

I had 2 weeks to study for it. But I was not working and coming from taking both Intermediate and advanced accounting courses from current semester, so consolidations, governmental, non-profit were fresh for me. After 2 weeks of intense preparation, by the time I took the test, my head felt like a bowl of gazpacho – so much information and everything was mixed up. Somehow I pulled 80. While using becker, I left the question that I got wrong on homework untouched until a few days later, then i would come back to them. Helps me remember the concepts much better that if I had done them right away, the same day. I think this is the best way to commit this information to the long-term memory.

Besides, what are you losing if you take it and fail? Good Luck!

jennibfox

Hi All. I am retaking my FAR exam on July 3rd. I am planing to go through all of the becker material and mcq this week. Be done by Sunday. I also ordered the NINJA mcq which are great. Will do those the next week. I need to figure out the best way to prepare for the SIMs. Does anyone have any helpful hints?

FAR - JULY 2014 - PASSED
    BEC - MAY 2015 - PASSED
    REG - AUG 2015 - PASSED
    AUD - AUG 31 2015

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for all the great tips and encouragement, folks! I feel much more confident about my retake now. i'll have to be strong and not feel so defeated by this exam and make sure I knock it out this time around

@k917 what was your study strategy for the retake?

Not a Quitter
    Participant

I do think four weeks is enough time but I do have some advice. Do not underestimate the amount of studying you will need to do in those four weeks because you were so close with a 73. I say this because of the two 74s I made in a row on AUD. I did not give it my all and thought I only had a little more studying to do and that backfired big time. Good luck!

FAR- 85 I'm DONE!
    BEC- 75
    REG- 60,60,75
    AUD- 74,74,83

CPAExcel used for BEC, AUD, REG
    Exam Matrix used for FAR plus NINJA Blitz, cpareviewforfree and a little CPAExcel

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, I've been told I need to study as if I'm studying for the first time.

I think instead of redoing only the questions I missed on the first go-around, I will just redo all the MCQs. I'll aim for 2 days per chapter. That'll give me about a week for a final review.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.