5 weeks for REG?Doable

• Creator
    Topic
    hannah2822
    Participant

So I am starting to study for my REG part..

I have around 5 weeks left and work full-time

I work in the tax industry so I guess I can easily relate to some part of the material..

I am using Becker now and I hope I can pass on my first attemplt..

I am planning to spend 20+ per week.

what do you guys think?

any suggestion?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Panda Love

If you have limited time i'd suggest to just stick to the MCs because the lectures are time consuming. There's 8 sections for Reg if you're using Becker you should focus on every single section but since your time is limited i'd suggest to focus on R1-4 the most and leave like a week 1/2 for R5-8. Good luck!!

Kimboroni

REG in 5 weeks when you work full time sounds a little bit tight, as there is a lot of material for REG. I did REG in exactly 7 weeks, which seemed about right. It should help some that you work in tax, but depending on what you do, it may not help as much as you're currently thinking it might. I work a little bit in tax and some in corporate law, and it helped me, but I still needed to put the time in on the actual exam material.

You will probably need to put in more than 20 hours a week to get through everything and have a solid 2 week or so review period at the end.

AUD 84 (1/9/14-Wiley books/TB + free materials)
    FAR 83 (5/21/14-the above + NINJA 10 Pt Combo Lite)
    REG 84 (7/9/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC/Notes)
    BEC 76 (10/5/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC)

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

I scheduled 8 weeks but probably put in about 4 weeks of real solid work between personal obstacles and getting sick the last two weeks before. I somehow pulled out an 83 but honestly after reading some people's exam experiences I think I just got lotto winner kind of lucky on my exam pull. I think it can be done in 5 if you put in the hours and are the kind of person who can retain during long study sessions. There is tons of great advice on this forum, but the best advice I can give is to know yourself, your study habits and be honest with yourself on where your strengths and weaknesses lay. If tax is already a strength and/or if you are a person who can (and is willing to) put in marathon study sessions while giving up your life, you will probably be solid in 5 weeks or maybe even less. If none of the above is true, I might either push it back or if you don't mind gambling with a couple hundred bucks, study as hard as you can, go in as a recon mission, just do the best you can and hope for a good pull (like I did).

MBA,CMA,CPA, CFF?, ABV?

y_u_no_pass
    Participant

I used CPA Excel, and although I gave myself 4 weeks I was only about 10% through at 2 weeks out and learned most of the material in 2 weeks. I also work full-time although those two weeks were hell. I only got through the material with one day to review. But it is definitely possible. It just depends how much time you are willing to put into it. I was spending all night and every weekend at that point.

Florida CPA!
    Took final exam 2/25/15.
    Sent in Application 3/12/15.
    Issued License 3/20/15.
    Used CPA Excel solely for all exams.

ijustwant76

A friend of mine worked in tax and said that was her easiest exam.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've worked in a local CPA firm for the past 4 years and have a light to moderate tax background (I just started becoming heavily involved this past tax season) and I still managed an 81 with around 3 weeks of study time at around 2-2.5 hours each evening. I used only the NINJA Notes and MCQs and supplemented them with what I already knew in certain areas of taxation and it seemed to work well for the actual exam.

So I definitely think it's doable even with a slight tax background since you're used to dealing with all of the different limits and deductions and know at least some of the tricks already. Just make sure you don't neglect the business law portion. My exam had some tricky questions that I wasn't expecting in that area.

playonwards

REG in 5 weeks is what I'm doing and I work full time. Two chapters per week and a week for review. You don't need more time than that. I say that assuming you want to pass and that you'll study like you're supposed to. How many weeks some here “need” is more of a reflection on their inability to stick to their study plan. Again, not saying that is everyone's case but in general if you want it bad enough there's really no point in wasting your time doing much MORE than 5 weeks. At some point you either know the material or you don't. Sure, it might be nice to have a few extra days to review but I tend to think those days should be the difference between you getting an 85 or a 90. By your 7th review day you'll probably be itching to just get the test done with anyway.

FAR- 92 (7/25/2014)
    AUD- 93 (8/30/2014)
    REG- 93 (10/10/2014)
    BEC- 91 (11/10/2014)

Using Becker self-study only. Working full-time.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.