5 weeks out from FAR exam

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone,

So I have FAR coming up in about 5 weeks and I made my way through the CPAExcel course about 3 weeks ago and I’ve been knocking Wiley MCQ’s just about nonstop since. I bought the Ninja notes and I’ve been cycling through them a few times a week.

My question is, have I begun my final review too far out? I’m almost getting confused just from the volume of questions and review I’m doing. Anyone have a routine or plan for how they start to finalize their review and narrow done on areas of concern?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    randerso

For me, personally, that would be way too far out to start reviewing.

I watched a free NINJA video that Jeff put up for FAR and I think he recommended a two month or less total study period, else you'll start to forget what you learned initially. My Becker program recommends me to start reviewing about a week before the test.

Can you move up your test date to early October? I mean, if you've learned what you need to learn and you're just in maintenance mode then you might as well knock it out.

REG: (May 2014) - 80 ✔
    AUD: (Nov 2014) - 93 ✔
    FAR: (Oct 2014) - 71, (Jan 2015) - 88 ✔
    BEC: (Feb 2015) - 89 ✔

CA PETH: 94 percent

Kimboroni

I was thinking the same thing as Randerso– can you move it up? I'm afraid you'll get burned out and/or forget with such a long review period.

I originally scheduled a 2 week review period for FAR and ended up just slightly under that, and wished I could have just a couple more days. But I went in on the scheduled day, then couldn't test 'cause the whole center was down (!). I got rescheduled for about 11 days later, and I was already so sick of the material that I barely studied during that extra time. Luckily I still passed, but you still have 5 weeks left, which is such a long time.

AUD 84 (1/9/14-Wiley books/TB + free materials)
    FAR 83 (5/21/14-the above + NINJA 10 Pt Combo Lite)
    REG 84 (7/9/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC/Notes)
    BEC 76 (10/5/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC)

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dave

I would schedule it at the end of the wave you're taking it in to minimize the wait time. So if you're taking it at the first wave of Q4, I would schedule it near the end of that wave.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I ended FAR today, and I'm taking it on the 31st of October.

I'm also going to go back through each chapter taking hand written notes, redo homework's and simulations and do a ton of 30 question commutative reviews.

After doing that, I'll bang out flashcards and memorize details in conjunction with additional 30 question cumulative testlets.

Work starts Oct 3rd.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow. That is a lot of time for review. I sit for FAR on October 11th, and I am still finishing up the last section in Becker, so then I'll have around two weeks to review and I think that is plenty long enough.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ nick

how much time did it took you to finished far?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I study full-time, and I've been studying since the beginning of the month. I had surgery last week and that derailed some of my studies.

With Becker, most of the material resonates with me during the review phase hence the length of my review period.

I pray this is the last time I have to go through this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just passed FAR, and I had about 3 weeks of just hammering MCQ and notecards before I took the test. If you have a high enough trending score on your problems you could always reschedule and take it sooner? It cost like $70 or something, but all that time you may save could be well worth it. Good Luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@camshamcpa

What kinda scores were you getting on the MCQ's?

Did you have to do many J/E's on the exam? I'm a little concerned about how long some MCQ's take.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave, looking at your scores you should be good having three or so weeks to review. Make sure to put a lot of time practicing JEs and simulations. If you are trending over 80-85, you will be fine.

I don't think it is possible to have a review to far out. The sooner you get to multiple choice questions the better.

Passed all 4 exams in 2014!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Appreciate the feedback, I actually just got a new job with EY so the pressure to pass before I start has intensified. Fortunately I picked off an off week between jobs to take FAR so I'm taking in all the great advice.

zoctoman

Go for it Dave. You can do it!

Audit(11/5/13) - 89
    Reg(5/16/14) - 86
    FAR(7/18/14) - 82
    BEC(11/14) - 85

y_u_no_pass
    Participant

Seriously. I am reaching crunch time, but I'm only like 3% through and taking it October 17th.

Florida CPA!
    Took final exam 2/25/15.
    Sent in Application 3/12/15.
    Issued License 3/20/15.
    Used CPA Excel solely for all exams.

y_u_no_pass
    Participant

Seriously. I am reaching crunch time, but I'm only like 3% through and taking it October 17th.

Florida CPA!
    Took final exam 2/25/15.
    Sent in Application 3/12/15.
    Issued License 3/20/15.
    Used CPA Excel solely for all exams.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.