6 Upper Level Accounting credits desperately needed!!!!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am in desperate need of 6 upper level accounting courses. I know LSU is an option, but previously took a course with them and hated there format, plus the professor that I had seem lazy and barely helpful at times. I saw previous forums that talked about the UNA CPA Excel option, but I’m confused about how they work, based on what I read it seems like you have to wait a full standard semester in order get the credits on your transcript, which unfortunately is time I don’t have. I am on a budget and can’t afford to take some of the other options that may be available. It seems like the options are limited, but would greatly appreciate any info for other options that you guys have come across. Thanks in advance!!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It might be more for out-of-state students, but check out SUNY Empire for upper level online courses.

ridiqls

What classes are you needing that are “upper level”? Here in CA, for the CPA exam we dont need specifically upper level just any accounting credit.

I'm taking mine at a Community college. i already have a degree with some accounting classes but not much. But the other stuff like the business and 150 credit hours, etc. are all taken care of. So I just need the core accounting classes and those I am completing at 2 different community colleges along with the 10 semester units of ethics classes.

I also took 1 from UCLA extension and their program is good but very pricey. It's around $490 per class and they offer the entire accounting certificate which will very well prepare you for the CPA. It includes everything for the CPA and more.

$490 is if you register early. It goes up to $600-620 if you wait after the early registration deadline.

So it is pricey but if you need 6 semester units, that's 9 quarter units (at ucla extension), which is roughly $1500. https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/ProgramDetails.aspx?reg=CF028

I decided the “name” of UCLA extension is not important especially if I'm going to pass the exam. So I went the community college route and much to my surprise, there's this thing called a BOG waiver. Apparently they pay for your tuition at community college you just pay books and other fees. I'm getting my CPA classes for free basically. Books are pricey sometimes because they always require you buy the ebook version with the online access so you can do the work.

But for a free education, it'd be stupid not to do this option.

Look online for your local community colleges and see if they offer hybrid or online/distance learning classes. Almost every updated school offers this now. And I'm getting a much better education for accounting learning online and teaching myself than I did my entire undergraduate career going to a top UC school. lol 300 people in a lecture = bad learning for me.

It may be possible for you to enroll in community colleges that aren't around you but they almost always require you to come in for SOMETHING. Like paperwork for financial aid or transcripts, meeting with a counselor so they can remove the prerequisite waivers, etc. If you live in Socal I know a few colleges.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.