7 months left to pass 2 exams (on 2nd & 3rd attempts)

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The CPA exams have been really difficult for me. It seems like I have to study so much more than the average person and even then, I struggle to pass. It took me 1 year of studying and 3 attempts to pass FAR. Luckily I passed BEC on my first try after 10 weeks of studying. I have attempted REG twice and I failed. I have attempted AUD once and I failed. I usually budget 12 weeks for each exam because I am only able to study for a maximum of 3 hours each week night and 8-12 hours each day of the weekend.

I planned on retaking AUD at the end of August. I am trying to plan all of my tests around the scoring cutoffs so that I have minimal wait time for score releases. If I pass AUD then I will retake REG at the end of November (if I fail, I will jump right back into AUD before taking REG). That would give me December-mid February for a third retake if I needed to. If I don’t pass them all by Valentine’s day, I will lose FAR. I’m panicking at the thought of losing FAR. I don’t want to rush to take my exams and then fail and end up losing FAR. I figure that I have 3 attempts total for 2 exams. I’m so worried that I may need to take a 4th retake, but I don’t know how I could do that since I hate jumping back and forth between tests.

Does anyone have advice for utilizing my 7 months wisely? Should I continue my plan of trying to study for as long as possible?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    tgwadez11
    Participant

I have 7 months to pass 2 exams as well (REG and FAR). That is 3 testing windows. So 3 times a piece. I've already taken REG and failed back in May, so am retaking REG tomorrow. Then FAR in late august. From there, if need be, I will take them both in the same window again…and again. One right away, the other at the end of the window. Good luck to you!

AUD (PASSED) - 56, 91
    BEC (PASSED) - 80
    REG (PASSED) - 68, 74, 77
    FAR (PASSED) - 78

KCCPA13

I think you have a good time line. Best of luck to you! I was in a similar situation where my FAR was going to expire this October. Beginning of the year, I've only passed FAR AND AUD and felt that REG was impossible. But I decided to focus on REG solely for Feb retake and was able to pass, and got really lucky with BEC and was able to pass that on the first try. If I can do it, you can too!

FAR ✓
    AUD ✓
    REG ✓
    BEC ✓

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M DONE.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@tgwadez11 Wow! You are taking two exams per window?! I have a really hard time going back and forth between exams. Part of me thinks that I need to attempt two sections per window, but I'm afraid to because I feel like I would lose a lot of information and I would be having to take the exams before I was even close to being ready.

golfball7773
    Participant

Why can't you take one at the beginning of the window and one at the end?

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - 86
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    AUD - 71, 73

BEC - 74, 86

REG - 77*

FAR - 57

*expired

(I have been trying to become a CPA since 2013). only one test down.......

FAR: 63, 55, 62
    REG: 65, 77*
    AUD: Fail, 64, 71
    BEC: 72, 74, 81

*expired

needcoffee

I have 4 testing windows to pass 3 exams while working and also being in school….here's to us! I'm taking 2 during this testing window. We can do it!

"It's choice not chance that determines your destiny".

golfball7773
    Participant

me too! REG goes away 11/30/2015…. I work full time and volunteer as a supervisory committee member for a local credit union and have a wife 🙂 It is a struggle but we can do it!!

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - 86
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    AUD - 71, 73

BEC - 74, 86

REG - 77*

FAR - 57

*expired

(I have been trying to become a CPA since 2013). only one test down.......

FAR: 63, 55, 62
    REG: 65, 77*
    AUD: Fail, 64, 71
    BEC: 72, 74, 81

*expired

Last Chance CPA
    Participant

@BananaPancakes – I would do 2 exams, beginning and end of each window, just as golfball suggested. I have one window before FAR expires at the end of July. I have failed REG 4x. I think you need to give yourself as many opportunities as possible, with adequate amount of studying for each section. Would you continue if your window expires?

I would study AUD and then REG each time…there is more exhaustion with REG. I wouldn't study AUD for more than 5-6 weeks given your schedule.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 76
    REG - 76
    I want those initials next to my name!!!!

FAR - 76
    AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    REG - 76

Now I need some experience!!! And some networking...

law0915
    Participant

“a maximum of 3 hours each week night and 8-12 hours each day of the weekend” Seems like exactly what I did. I think you're taking too long to prepare and you may forget things when you get to the exam. DO REG 6-7 weeks, BEC 4-5 weeks, then finish with AUD-5 weeks,. I agree, study during the black out month and then test in the middle of the first month and at the end of the last month. Bang it out! If using Becker, re-watch the lectures and dive straight into MCQ after. Pull up the e-book during the first time through MCQ and when you're done with all chapters, redo the MCQ again one chapter after the other. Live the dream.

REG 77 Feb14
    BEC 13*, 79 Aug14
    FAR 64**, 76 Nov14
    AUD 89 Feb15

*Exited exam after first testlet
    **Only studied F1-F6 out of 10 Becker chapters

Licensed Arizona CPA

y_u_no_pass
    Participant

Yeah I think especially since you have failed some you should aim for two per window. Good luck

Florida CPA!
    Took final exam 2/25/15.
    Sent in Application 3/12/15.
    Issued License 3/20/15.
    Used CPA Excel solely for all exams.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.