71 on Reg..

• Creator
    Topic
    Nancy
    Participant

I took Reg in June and got a 71. I had around 55-60 minutes left for the sims. Felt 100% confident on the research question and then I don’t know what happened on the rest of the sims. I took way too long on one sim and ended up guessing and only finished 2.5 of the sims and flat out guessed on the rest due to time running out. The score report said I was below average on BOTH the sims and multiple choice. Any advice for the next time around? I am taking the exam July 25th. Should I save extra time on the sims and go faster on the MC? I felt like I was going at a really good pace and with only 4 points needed to pass I am sure if I finished the sims I would have passed. Also, does anyone know about how many more questions I would have needed to get from a 71 to a 75? Could one or two more MC questions make the difference?

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - 78
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 82
    BEC: 78

REG: 82

AUD: February 20, 2017

FAR: January 2, 2017

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
    Philippians 4:13

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    CPA2BEE
    Participant

I left almost 2 hours for SIMS my first REG take and ended up spending about 45 mins on the research question alone. Having said that, I still felt like I had enough time for the other SIMS too. I don't think more time would've necessarily changed my score for the better.

A lot of people recommend 1.5 hours, I lean more towards 2 hours if possible. However, definitely don't want to rush through MCQs. I am shooting for 1.5 hours or more tomorrow.

CA CPA - est. Dec 2016

FAR - 80
    AUD - 82
    BEC - 80
    REG - 85

ETHICS - 90
    EXPERIENCE - COMPLETE
    Application for California license mailed 8/4/2016

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you got more difficult questions correct that could push you over the edge.

However, don't fall into the trap of thinking you need four more points. You need 75 new points.

musiccitycpa
    Participant

I have had to take REG 3 times unfortunately and have learned that this test is a COMPLETE luck of the draw.

I took my first one completely unprepared and nearly passed with a 71. Came in to my 2nd one much more prepared and got a 61. Came in as prepared as I could be on Saturday and have never walked out of a CPA test more confident. It really all depends on what kind of Sims you get. The research question can also range from ridiculous to so easy you second guess yourself. It really sucks that it comes down to luck.

My 2 cents on how long to leave for Sims is 90 minutes. Just depends on how deliberate you want to be with the MCQs.

AUD- 77
    BEC- 84
    FAR- 69, Sep 16
    REG- 71,61,88

Mehow
    Participant

MCQs are worth more so make sure you get those right. But you can't calculate how many more you needed right because of the weighting of the questions if you got a harder testlet and the pretest questions.

FAR = 86 4/22/16
    BEC = 80 6/01/16
    REG = 07/26/16
    AUD = ?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.