72 3 times on Audit… got any advice?

• Creator
    Topic

I found out I got 72 for the 3rd time! I’m quite frustrated but I will get over it. I’m just not too sure how to approach for the next exam at this point. I really do need to pass on the next window; otherwise, “FAR expires” in Q1 2016. I’m contemplating getting Becker question banks… below ignore the 1st 100 hours i spent prior to the 1st 72.

1st 72 (spent 86 hours): listened through all Yaeger lectures, solved most problems on Wiley MCQ.

2nd 72 (spent 50 hours)

Strategy: to get over the hump so listened to Yaeger cram

-solved 1000 Ninja MCQ

Took a quarter off, moved onto Reg and passed it

3rd 72 (spent 140 hours)

Strategy: start fresh and lock down on concepts while focusing on SIMs

-listened through all Yaeger lectures

-resolved Wiley questions I was having trouble

-reset and solved 1000 Ninja MCQ, solved all Ninja SIMs at least once

-read and and studied Wiley text

-read through many AU-C, AR, PCAOB standards as I was solving problems.

I’m just seeking an honest advice how to approach for the next sit in. I’m thinking about getting Becker question sets. Do you think Becker questions might prepare you better than Ninja MCQs? Any other study advice would be grateful.

If I can do it, you can do it too!

Certified CPA, 2016

Licensed CPA since Apr 16
    Order in sequence of passing
    FAR-71,71,79
    BEC-80
    REG-72,77
    AUD-56,72,72,72,80! Thank you, thank you, thank you Lord!
    FAR/BEC/AUD: Becker & Yaeger lectures (Wiley & Ninja MCQs). REG: Becker lectures (Ninja MCQs).

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Missy
    Participant

Everybody is different but what got me over the hump was rewriting the ninja notes, word for word, three times over (while working 50-100MCQ/day). Somehow the act of copying those notes helped my memorization.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

cpa007
    Participant

Hi hokinizeu,
    I can feel your pain got 72 on Far . I will get over it by today and see as its apart of process. I haven't studied audit so i cannot advice on it. But we are close just want to hit my weak areas when i get my breakdown. And hit MC as much as i can . Got luck ! Hi try roger cram. Just a suggestion.

Hope and determination will lead to success.
    MaLoTu
    Participant

You are missing something. When you go through the multiple choice can you identify why the other answers are not right? I used deductive reasoning a lot on the exam because they questions are not as black and white as the homework. You have to be able to identify the type of entity you are working with and then the rules that would apply.
    I passed on my second attempt, both times using Becker. I watched the lectures then did the MCQ, then I took notes and re did the multiple choice. Along with this I did progress tests of the material I had already gone through. I would say you need a minimum of 150 hours of study.
    I am sorry that you got another 72 … it is clear that you put effort into it.

Almost always from my phone... please excuse my typos!

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

AccountantPinkHair
    Participant

I use both Becker and Ninja MCQ and there are several of the same questions, you shouldn't waste your money on Becker. Personally I HATE Becker in the review phase. When I started going through the books and taking my own notes and doing only Ninja MCQ I started to pass the exams. Taking my own notes without the lecture I think helped me get over that hump. Try putting pencil to paper it'll probably push you over like it did for me. Good Luck!!

BEC 60, 71, 71, 73, 81
    AUD 72, 81
    REG 60, 78
    FAR 71, 78

Licensed CPA in Texas

AUD - 72, 81
    FAR - 71, 78
    REG - 60, 78
    BEC - 60, 71, 71

IF I FALL, I WILL GET BACK UP. IF I AM BEATEN, I WILL RETURN.

mitchmatch
    Participant

So seeing it that your so close to passing, clearly you get it. Now is their some specific sections that you dont understand that you just skim over because you just dont get it? If that is the case then you have your answer. One of the absolute best tricks to this exam that i noticed and i swore by is the following, out of the four answer you get in the mcq's their is usually one or two that give you extreme answers, like an auditor WILL ALWAYS an auditor HAS TOO, an auditor MUST, THE ONLY SAMPLING METHOD IS. Based on Beckers lecture's they say that these are 99% percent of the times the wrong answers. I lived by that and i always narrow down the answer by eliminating these answers. Out of 4 i noticed that 2 usually use these extremes answers, which narrows you down to 50%. Again this is all subjective and you will not always receive these kinds of structure. But it worked for me, and im like others in which i much rather get computational questions, i hated the auditing tricky words, but this method got me through the exam. Additionally i disagree with accountpinkhair, Beckers is amazing, and even the mcqs simulate the real exam look, feel, difficulties. Its very expensive but totally not a waste of money, by far the best option for a cpa course.

FAR-76 First attempt.
    AUD-79 First attempt.
    REG-79 First attempt.
    BEC-79 First attempt.

Done!

BECKERS

Anonymous
    Inactive

identify the entity. its pretty much always non issuers.

rememebr there is NO MEMORIZATION for audit..the only section to memorize is all the independence rules and quality control/professioanl responsibilities.

when you read a question make sure to IMMEDIATELY figure out where you are in the audit process. is this engagement planning? anal procedures and management inquiries? is this the actual audit (CRxIRxDR = AR) actual audit is substantive procedures and test of control and SOMETIMES anal procedures. audit review towards the end however requires anal procedures on the F/S level.

know the IRxCR=RMM ==> RMMxDR = AR conceptually!!

again, i recommend you know the stuff conceptually at all stages of the audit- dont just memorize. WHY does detection risk increase because Control Risk go down? (control risk decreases when controls are good…when controls are good the auditor is able to increase his detection risk (aka hes ok with not being able to test/detect all the stuff bcz hes confident the controls will catch most of the misstatements) therefore with increased detection risk he can DECREASE his substantive procedures.

you can see how that sort of reasoning/CONCEPTUAL understanding is WAYYYY better than just memorizing “CR & DR have an inverse relationship/CR & substantive procedures have DIRECT relationship” that sort of memorization wont get you too far on the test. you gotta walk your way through an audit. i like to pretend im a bigshot auditor trying to audit a fraudster- im gonna catch you- im GONNA figure out the best audit test from the simulation drop down when it gives me 15 options. this makes studying a lil more fun.

for each assertion- know WHY the certain procedures are being chosen. Revenue/Expense cycles are important. everything else flows from that- like the property,plant,equipment/fixed asset cycle is just a beefed up Expense cycle. know completeness/existence (again not memorization but WHY are the auditors doing what they are doing to catch the ‘fraudster'?)

mtaylo24
    Participant

Stick with it. Get through the book and all of the questions, then leave 2 weeks for a review phase.

CPA (2017)

REG:  75

BEC:  76

FAR:  77

AUD: 78

CMA (2019)

P1: 380

P2: 360

AUD - 1st - 60 (12/12), 61 (2/13), 61 (8/13), 78! (11/15)
    REG - 55 (2/16) 69 (5/16) Retake(8/16)
    BEC - 71(5/16) Retake (9/16)
    FAR - (8/16)

Claudia408
    Participant

@hokinizeu sorry about Audit! Took me 3 attempts and 3 different review courses (Wiley, Ninja & Roger) to get over the hump. So I suggest a really new look and possibly getting a new review course and start from the beginning. Are you scoring weaker in MCQ or SIMs?

BEC 65, 71, 75
    AUD 62, 70, 78
    REG 67, 66, 65, 66, 64
    FAR 68, 64, 73

BEC - 75 (3x)
    AUD - 78 (3x)
    REG - 67, 66, Aug 1
    FAR - 54, Sept 8

Martin
    Participant

hokinizeu, you should buy Roger as soon as you read this message, and you will thank me later. I don't know about the other parts, but when it comes to Audit, he is the Guru.

Through God all things can happen!

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people;as I grow older, I admire kind people.
    “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.”

FAR= 72-84
    Audit= 73-82
    BEC= 74-75
    Reg=77

monikernc
    Participant

hokinizeu – i think you need a break for two weeks to start fresh. for what it is worth i used ninja book and ninja mcq's. the book sections align perfectly to the mcq sections. i started at the beginning with book 1, read a section, did the mcq's in custom sessions with new questions in 10-20 question sets. everytime a response came up i read everything that was linked in the source and definiftions. i did the questions 5,814 times. i did all the sim, most 2 or 3 times. as i finished a section i did all questions for each section until i got them 100% correct. then i pulled in prior sections and did random questions for review. these sessions got longer as more sections had to be reviewed. i repeated and hit the review phase trending 100%
    when i hit review i did a progress test just to see how it went.
    i copied my detailed progress report into excel. i had two weeks left and should have reset ninja mcq's but didn't so i had to deal with a lot of repeat questions. i hit every section and kept working to retain 100% trending. i had to hit sections 2, 3, and 4 the most as they were my weakest areas. then i had to keep reviewing other areas to retain them.
    i read standards as needed. referred to my printed home pages of the standards as i did mcq's so i would know where to go for sims. i did watch blitz! when it was available but only when i knew i needed to keep studying but was sick of mcq's.
    i reviewed the recently released questions. i did make some notes and a chart for audit opinions. recorded myself reading an unmodified opinion and a review report.
    i think rest to shake this off through the holidays. you won't forget what you learned but you might be ready to let go of things you don't have a firm grip on so you can take it all in for your next go. go ahead and think about your next test date. get an nts and schedule it so you dont lose credit for your other exam.
    i will be here and will help in any way i can.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

holymoly

I can feel your pain. For me, I failed AUD twice 62,63 and got 84 today.
    I spent much less time this time and I passed.
    The reason I failed previously was because I tried to memorize them and spent less time to understand.
    So, this time, I actually did not spend my time doing any questions but spent my time to grasp the overall understanding of audit.
    Hope it helped. I think you are almost there. just need to firm your knowledge

Anonymous
    Inactive

For my retake I bought Ninja and made sure to answer ever MC right atleast once. You mentioned you did 1000, but there are more. They seem to get more difficult the deeper you go. I did not do any SIMS because the MCs took up all my time. I raised my score from a 72 to an 87.

monikernc
    Participant

i hate that hokinzeu is hurting right now 🙁
    if i were there i would buy you ice cream or take you to a movie or a bar! i would tell you stupid jokes until you laugh.
    but i am here so i applaud your efforts on this journey and believe in you!

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

holymoly

Also you might want to study FAR again for SMs for AUD. I studied at least an hr to refresh J/Es and I am glad I did that 2 weeks before my AUD exam.

thank you all for your time and advice, really appreciate them. you all had valid and helpful points; i will definitely take on some of your advice. digesting concepts and regurgitating and continual push seem to be the only way for me. i will attempt to do all Ninja questions (and i do focus on learning the concepts by reading the explanations and various standards).

@moniker thank you so much for being sweet (your comment made me smile). i know you helped a lot for the past month in the audit study lounge, and i did learn much from you. i didn't know you solved all problems and were trending 100%! no wonder you crushed the exam.

If I can do it, you can do it too!

Certified CPA, 2016

Licensed CPA since Apr 16
    Order in sequence of passing
    FAR-71,71,79
    BEC-80
    REG-72,77
    AUD-56,72,72,72,80! Thank you, thank you, thank you Lord!
    FAR/BEC/AUD: Becker & Yaeger lectures (Wiley & Ninja MCQs). REG: Becker lectures (Ninja MCQs).

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.