74 in Audit

• Creator
    Topic
    mchinegunfunk
    Participant

Hello my fellow Ninja’s. I recently took AUD and got a 74 back on the exam. First, I was in awe and then in shock! I told myself “Dude, you almost past!” & “Dude, you could have past!” Now as I’m embarking on my Round 3 with AUD in 7 months.

I need guidance on tips on how to prepare. Especially from those who been in this situation. I’ve been told by my peers that they prepared in the same manner for the re-take and didn’t deviate from their previous studying habits and they passed!

I know better than trying to focus on what I remember in the MCQ’s and the Simulations as my peers and sure others here can relate. Their efforts were not rewarded as many did not see those related questions/sections in the re-take. Instead, they left the exam frustrated and deflated. I don’t want to make that same mistake.

If you have 3 study tips on how to prepare for the same section when you got a 74 and eventually passed. Please do share as I plan to re-take the exam on 4/1/14. Thanks!

Ninja from Arizona

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Kenada

Hi,

For me one thing I did to change things up was get the Gleim test bank and practice all the MCQ's there. It helped me as I wasn't memorizing the answer.

I also found the Gleim SIMs a huge help to do.

Lastly I created my own flow charts just to get a better understanding on what process comes first etc. I think by doing that I really started to understand the concepts of the subject and was able to pass the exam.

CA Candidate. 05/27/2014 ~ 786/110
    I am done!!

Kenada

Hi,

For me one thing I did to change things up was get the Gleim test bank and practice all the MCQ's there. It helped me as I wasn't memorizing the answer.

I also found the Gleim SIMs a huge help to do.

Lastly I created my own flow charts just to get a better understanding on what process comes first etc. I think by doing that I really started to understand the concepts of the subject and was able to pass the exam.

CA Candidate. 05/27/2014 ~ 786/110
    I am done!!

Not a Quitter
    Participant

I got two 74s in audit before I passed with an 83. On the first test I was strong on SIMS but weak on MC. The second exam was the opposite. so for the second exam I practiced a lot of SIMS (unlike my first test) and just kept hammering the multiple choice. I think part of my second 74 was just bad luck with my SIMS and I still needed to have extra “edge” on my overall understanding of the material. Bottom line, just keep studying and make yourself that much more familiar with the subject.

FAR- 85 I'm DONE!
    BEC- 75
    REG- 60,60,75
    AUD- 74,74,83

CPAExcel used for BEC, AUD, REG
    Exam Matrix used for FAR plus NINJA Blitz, cpareviewforfree and a little CPAExcel

Not a Quitter
    Participant

I got two 74s in audit before I passed with an 83. On the first test I was strong on SIMS but weak on MC. The second exam was the opposite. so for the second exam I practiced a lot of SIMS (unlike my first test) and just kept hammering the multiple choice. I think part of my second 74 was just bad luck with my SIMS and I still needed to have extra “edge” on my overall understanding of the material. Bottom line, just keep studying and make yourself that much more familiar with the subject.

FAR- 85 I'm DONE!
    BEC- 75
    REG- 60,60,75
    AUD- 74,74,83

CPAExcel used for BEC, AUD, REG
    Exam Matrix used for FAR plus NINJA Blitz, cpareviewforfree and a little CPAExcel

san4596

I recently started back with Wiley review materials, and had used Becker for the exams before hand. Just to give you a little background.

I failed my first exam (BEC) with a 74 using Wiley, and was studying for AUD before receiving the failing grade. I went ahead and finished AUD before doing a BEC retake. I took AUD on 10/28/13, and immediatly started back on BEC to sit on 12/6/13.

I looked at the diagnostics to see which areas were weakest. My game plan was to start with the chapters over my weak areas, and not from page 1 of the book. Due to the Holliday's, I was only able to cover my weak sections and do a light review over the others. I passed BEC with a 76, and passed AUD with a 76 as well. So, my suggestion is to start with your weak areas first, and end with your strong areas. I do suggest going over everything like you did the first time as well.

CPA EXAM: DONE!!!!
    Ethics Course: Passed
    Application Mailed: 3/16/15
    Professional Conduct Exam: 97
    Certification Date: 4/2/15!!!

san4596

I recently started back with Wiley review materials, and had used Becker for the exams before hand. Just to give you a little background.

I failed my first exam (BEC) with a 74 using Wiley, and was studying for AUD before receiving the failing grade. I went ahead and finished AUD before doing a BEC retake. I took AUD on 10/28/13, and immediatly started back on BEC to sit on 12/6/13.

I looked at the diagnostics to see which areas were weakest. My game plan was to start with the chapters over my weak areas, and not from page 1 of the book. Due to the Holliday's, I was only able to cover my weak sections and do a light review over the others. I passed BEC with a 76, and passed AUD with a 76 as well. So, my suggestion is to start with your weak areas first, and end with your strong areas. I do suggest going over everything like you did the first time as well.

CPA EXAM: DONE!!!!
    Ethics Course: Passed
    Application Mailed: 3/16/15
    Professional Conduct Exam: 97
    Certification Date: 4/2/15!!!

gt5717b
    Participant

I scored a 73 on AUD the first time around. I didn't bother with lecture videos the 2nd time around because I felt each hour I watched a video, I would pick up maybe 1 or 2 informational nuggets that I didn't already know. Whereas, if I spent an hour doing MCQs and rereading the chapters, I could probably glean a lot more.

I also utilized the WTB progress reports. I analyzed my previous study session results to see what areas were the most trouble to me. I then drilled those areas first, both with MCQs and with writing notes in my own words to explain each section.

As I continued to do MCQs, I would target those that I had missed and eventually, I found that there were a number of MCQs that I routinely missed. I was obviously not learning those concepts (or even memorizing the answers). I would setup a batch of MCQs that I had missed 3 or more times, then I would attempt each one. Whether I got it right or wrong, I would make notes about why the right answer was correct and why the wrong answers were incorrect. Sometimes I would reread that section of the book to reinforce the topic at hand.

This really helped hammer home some of the concepts that had clearly eluded me in my first exam attempt. Hope that helps.

REG - 89
    FAR - 84
    AUD - 73, 86
    BEC - 89

GA Licensed CPA

gt5717b
    Participant

I scored a 73 on AUD the first time around. I didn't bother with lecture videos the 2nd time around because I felt each hour I watched a video, I would pick up maybe 1 or 2 informational nuggets that I didn't already know. Whereas, if I spent an hour doing MCQs and rereading the chapters, I could probably glean a lot more.

I also utilized the WTB progress reports. I analyzed my previous study session results to see what areas were the most trouble to me. I then drilled those areas first, both with MCQs and with writing notes in my own words to explain each section.

As I continued to do MCQs, I would target those that I had missed and eventually, I found that there were a number of MCQs that I routinely missed. I was obviously not learning those concepts (or even memorizing the answers). I would setup a batch of MCQs that I had missed 3 or more times, then I would attempt each one. Whether I got it right or wrong, I would make notes about why the right answer was correct and why the wrong answers were incorrect. Sometimes I would reread that section of the book to reinforce the topic at hand.

This really helped hammer home some of the concepts that had clearly eluded me in my first exam attempt. Hope that helps.

REG - 89
    FAR - 84
    AUD - 73, 86
    BEC - 89

GA Licensed CPA

mchinegunfunk
    Participant

@ Keneda – Thanks for your tip. I've heard of people supplementing other study with Becker. I've spent so much $ into exams. I'm not sure if I'm ready to pony up some dough.

@ NotaQuitter – Thanks for sharing your story. My bout with AUD I got Stronger in SIMS and mostly weaker assessments for the MC questions and my final score was a 66. The 2nd bout, I got Comparable in SIMS and comparable in almost every section with the exception of 1 weaker. I got a 74. I feel like I did the hard part of laying down the tracks prior to the exam. I think I'll focus on the the MCQ's/SIM's again and put extra emphasis on the questions I continually get incorrect. Thanks!

@ San4596 – I've used Wiley before and felt that material gave me copious amount of information and feel Becker gives you to pertinent information. (My personal opinion btw). Also, I know I'm going to pass eventually and feel that if I get one exam under my belt. That's the momentum and wind that I need in my sails to continue passing all 4 sections. Thanks!

@ gt5717b – Great tips as well! I don't plan on watching the lecture as I've already done that. At this point, I'm going to reset my stats and start on MCQ's again. This time around I'm going to concentrate on my weak areas. Congrats on attaining your license!

I need to send my application back to the State and schedule another date with AUD for the 1st week in April. Thanks for tips guys and I appreciate the support.

Ninja from Arizona

mchinegunfunk
    Participant

@ Keneda – Thanks for your tip. I've heard of people supplementing other study with Becker. I've spent so much $ into exams. I'm not sure if I'm ready to pony up some dough.

@ NotaQuitter – Thanks for sharing your story. My bout with AUD I got Stronger in SIMS and mostly weaker assessments for the MC questions and my final score was a 66. The 2nd bout, I got Comparable in SIMS and comparable in almost every section with the exception of 1 weaker. I got a 74. I feel like I did the hard part of laying down the tracks prior to the exam. I think I'll focus on the the MCQ's/SIM's again and put extra emphasis on the questions I continually get incorrect. Thanks!

@ San4596 – I've used Wiley before and felt that material gave me copious amount of information and feel Becker gives you to pertinent information. (My personal opinion btw). Also, I know I'm going to pass eventually and feel that if I get one exam under my belt. That's the momentum and wind that I need in my sails to continue passing all 4 sections. Thanks!

@ gt5717b – Great tips as well! I don't plan on watching the lecture as I've already done that. At this point, I'm going to reset my stats and start on MCQ's again. This time around I'm going to concentrate on my weak areas. Congrats on attaining your license!

I need to send my application back to the State and schedule another date with AUD for the 1st week in April. Thanks for tips guys and I appreciate the support.

Ninja from Arizona

jlondon

@mchinegunfunk I really feel your pain… as you can see my audit score of 74 as well!!! It kind of really pissed me off. I got Angry..

I'm still currently awaiting my score.. but what I did find helpful was some advice I read somewhere on this forum. Which was to take each MCQ, and turn it into 4 to 5 learning experience. Because even though audit seems like pure memorization, they still tend to focus on the same area as the thousands of MCQ.. So just keep doing those, and write out WHY the reason they are wrong. Just understanding the concept helps, it kind of becomes common sense on many of the parts.

But as for reporting, make sure you know how each report applies to what, and where each paragraphs go. That is extremely important.

BEC: 69, 57, 72, 73, (anticipated for 4/4/2015)
    AUD: 65, 63, 74, 84!!! (expires 7/31/2015)
    FAR: 63, 57, (scheduled for 4/1/2015)
    REG: ... 42, (Anticipated to be around 5/20~)

-Every Set Back is a Set Up for a Major Come Back #motivation

"I've missed over 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost over 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot, and missed. I've failed, over and over and over again in my life. And that is why, I succeed." - Michael Jordan

"You are not your past, but the resources and capabilities you glean from it" -Jordan Belfort

jlondon

@mchinegunfunk I really feel your pain… as you can see my audit score of 74 as well!!! It kind of really pissed me off. I got Angry..

I'm still currently awaiting my score.. but what I did find helpful was some advice I read somewhere on this forum. Which was to take each MCQ, and turn it into 4 to 5 learning experience. Because even though audit seems like pure memorization, they still tend to focus on the same area as the thousands of MCQ.. So just keep doing those, and write out WHY the reason they are wrong. Just understanding the concept helps, it kind of becomes common sense on many of the parts.

But as for reporting, make sure you know how each report applies to what, and where each paragraphs go. That is extremely important.

BEC: 69, 57, 72, 73, (anticipated for 4/4/2015)
    AUD: 65, 63, 74, 84!!! (expires 7/31/2015)
    FAR: 63, 57, (scheduled for 4/1/2015)
    REG: ... 42, (Anticipated to be around 5/20~)

-Every Set Back is a Set Up for a Major Come Back #motivation

"I've missed over 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost over 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot, and missed. I've failed, over and over and over again in my life. And that is why, I succeed." - Michael Jordan

"You are not your past, but the resources and capabilities you glean from it" -Jordan Belfort

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn't get a 74, but I did raise my score 20 points on the retake. I didn't rewatch the lectures. I ignored my “weak” areas from my score report and decided to reread the entire book from cover to cover. I took notes on that, then incorporated those notes into the Ninja Notes and rewrote the entire set of notes. I did every MCQ from Wiley and every SIM. I wrote notes on the ones I got wrong. I studied all the notes and redid the MCQ I got incorrect until I got them right. Using the AL on the test was really helpful to me for the SIMS, even some of the non research questions were in there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn't get a 74, but I did raise my score 20 points on the retake. I didn't rewatch the lectures. I ignored my “weak” areas from my score report and decided to reread the entire book from cover to cover. I took notes on that, then incorporated those notes into the Ninja Notes and rewrote the entire set of notes. I did every MCQ from Wiley and every SIM. I wrote notes on the ones I got wrong. I studied all the notes and redid the MCQ I got incorrect until I got them right. Using the AL on the test was really helpful to me for the SIMS, even some of the non research questions were in there.

mchinegunfunk
    Participant

@ CPAMommy. Thanks for the tips. No, I don't plan on watching the lectures. I cleared my stats on my Becker and started over on Chapter 1. I'm positive, I'll pass this exam this time! I don't know what happened the last time other than what I saw on the Sims I didn't see in my previous exam.

I'm going to incorporate the Ninja Material with my Becker material and going to rock AUD! Thanks for your tip and good luck with FAR & REG.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.