74 on Audit

• Creator
    Topic
    JoshWV
    Participant

This is the third time that I have taken audit. I went from a 54 the first take to a 71 the second take and I found out last night that I scored a 74. I really thought I did well this third time around. First set of multiple choice medium, then hard and then hard again. I found 3 of the 4 sims in the authoritative literature and I am pretty sure I got the research right. The other 3 I felt good about them as well. I still have not received my breakdown by section yet. Any advice on where to go from here? Should I move on or shoot for it again for the fourth time. So frustrated.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    mystical guy

@JoshWV

You ought to celebrate because your scores are rising. You probably need to change something in your study techniques and planning. Usual suspects when it comes to AUD:

1. Are you doing at least 1,000+ MCQs and understanding the ones you got wrong, and why?
    2. Are you understanding why an answer is correct when you get a practice MCQ right?
    3. Are you comfortable with Financial Accounting concepts which appear in SIMs?
    4. Are you spending enough time studying? (At least 1 month of serious daily study)

If you honestly assess yourself you can then start your learning process over and retake the exam. Keep retaking until you get it right. As a CPA, I'll tell you this, the process will change your life… not the license, the process.

CPA - Since 2015
    CISA - Smashed 2012
    CIA - Passed 2015

fuzyfro89
    Participant

Move on to what?

Take it again. Study like you studied the first time. Rework everything. Many people make the mistake of thinking “I'm so close, just a quick refresh and I'll give it another try.” Wrong. That doesn't work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would say your scores are rising, so if you got a 74 now, next time you will get at least a 75. You are bound to pass next time, so don't give up now.

JoshWV
    Participant

Was thinking about moving on to another section. I was so close to passing this time. I think I should try again until I pass it. AUD is the first test that I have attempted out of the 4.

Mamabear

I would take AUD again, but you do need to either add a supplement or do something different with your studying. I suggest adding Ninja Audio and/or Ninja notes. They really helped me raise my AUD score for my retake.

CPA Exam - Finally DONE (November 2014)
    BEC (08/10/13) 80
    AUD (08/24/13) 65 (11/13/13) 85
    FAR (04/12/14) 81
    REG (07/19/14) 69 (11/29/14) 87!!

Panda Love

You should probably retake it again as soon as possible. I know your frustration getting a 74 hurts more than getting a score in the 60's but you got this. You are almost there but like Fuzyfro said don't think because you got a 74 you can skip stuff. Study like it is your first time. Do not move to another section until you pass one that's something i've learned the hard way. I started going back and forth with exams and it took me a long time to pass one section. If you want to finish this journey ASAP make sure you pass a section before you move on to the next. You should be fine with AUD if you don't use Ninja MCQ you should probably get it. It will totally make a difference and it's pretty cheap. Good luck!!

mjbriggs

Josh,

Write out your own flashcards and take them everywhere with you. Not sure what study material you're using (I used Becker) but I printed out all of the sims and brought them everywhere with me too. I'd say about 25% of my studying occurred in the gym.

FAR - 75
    AUD - 83
    BEC - 85
    REG - 72, retake October 2015 - 85 PASS!

And I'm DONE. Praise!

taxman89
    Participant

take it again and buy ninja audio. i hated hated hated aud but the audio for AUD was immense helpful. buy the audio and the ninja mcq and do ALL THE MCQs and walk yourself through the question to make sure you understand what its asking and what it is not asking and listen to the audio 100times.

AUD is the worst section imo. just remember for your retake. you dont need 1 more point you need 75 more points so study like you did after you got the 54

AUD - 75
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 78
    REG - 82
    AUD: 61-67-75 (Thanks ninja aud)
    BEC: 77
    FAR: 78
    REG:69-73-70-82

Aud-75 3x I knew i never liked you
    Bec-77 1x being in the bubble is stressful
    Reg-82 4x its not me its you...and no we cant be friends
    Far-78 1x easiest section

I'm so so sorry you got 74, gotta be very frustrating. I've failed Audit 3 times myself. My advice differs from most up here.

While it isn't a bad idea to retake Audit, it might be worthwhile to step away from Audit for a while. Have you passed FAR yet? Having FAR around your belt will help you with every single section, especially Audit. After I failed Audit 3 times, I moved onto REG and passed it. Having to restudy Audit sucks, but I feel I'm getting a firmer grasp on concepts this time around and BECAUSE I took a step back, it's easier for me to approach it “as if” I never studied for Audit.

Don't give up on your goal of getting your CPA. You CAN and You WILL.

If I can do it, you can do it too!

Certified CPA, 2016

Licensed CPA since Apr 16
    Order in sequence of passing
    FAR-71,71,79
    BEC-80
    REG-72,77
    AUD-56,72,72,72,80! Thank you, thank you, thank you Lord!
    FAR/BEC/AUD: Becker & Yaeger lectures (Wiley & Ninja MCQs). REG: Becker lectures (Ninja MCQs).

jonm857
    Participant

Stick with AUD. As you can see, I finally overcame that beast on my 4th attempt, as will you. I'd argue that AUD is definitely the hardest over BEC and REG. Can't say for FAR yet since I haven't taken it. Dude… you got this.

B - passed
    A - passed
    R -
    F -

B - 81
    A - 87
    R - 73
    F - July 5th

JoshWV
    Participant

I finally got my score report and I did comparable in multiple choice and comparable in task based simulations. Weaker in understanding the entity and weaker in procedures and evidence. I am going to study all over again like I have never seen the material before and test again in January. I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement. Going to look into the ninja mcq's too.

mhenry900

I had a tough experience with Audit, first exam a 74 then a 71. I changed the method of studying in regards to the third time and received a 92.

I stressed memorization on the reports instead of just studying the main points. I also put an emphasis on the management assertions and had them down every which way. I truly believe this helped on the third time around.

Good Luck

Claudia408
    Participant

@JoshWV – plow through Audit… on the exam read each question carefully. i think that alone brought my score up 8 points bc i kept hammering review material that wasn't working for me for my 2nd attempt. i also suggest new review material for a fresh look.

@taxman89 – i haven't take FAR yet but for some reason, i think it would be the “easiest” too bc i think it makes the most sense… at least from what i remember taking accounting courses. why do you think it was the easiest?

BEC 65, 71, 75
    AUD 62, 70, 78
    REG 67, 66, 65, 66, 64
    FAR 68, 64, 73

BEC - 75 (3x)
    AUD - 78 (3x)
    REG - 67, 66, Aug 1
    FAR - 54, Sept 8

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.