7.5 yrs has gone fast: New Focus.New Determination.New Name.New ?'s (long post)

• Creator
    Topic
    FlyguyFocus

Hi All,

Believe it or not, I have been a member of the another71 family for quite some time now and my CPA journey dates back since late 2007. The last 7 1/2 years have consisted of many failed attempts at the CPA exam. Over these past 7 1/2 years, I have tried to juggle the CPA exam with public accounting , moving and relocating, getting married, and most recently the birth of our first child. The latter is the reason I am here today. My new child is my motivation to get this exam done once and for all. Maybe he is what I needed to finally get that focus and determination on track and dedicate myself to passing these tests.. I started my new journey about a month ago and am scheduled to take BEC on May 28. My plan is to do my very best, and if I do not succeed, plan to retake in beginning of July. Either way. BEC will be behind me by mid-July. Before my questions, here is just a little bit of background on me both past and present:

Study Courses: Over my CPA exam studying history, I’ve tried them all, Becker, Yaeger but finally, I think Roger CPA has really helped the material stick. I am supplementing Roger with NINJA MCs for my upcoming exam

Exam History: I’m taking BEC, because I got a 70 on it about two years ago and think it will be a confidence booster once I pass. I’ve failed AUD, REG, and BEC multiple times over that last 7 1/2 years but really wasn’t truly committed for many of these.

My struggle: For those times I did really study and commit to the exam, I had some poor results, which served as an obstacle I had trouble overcoming once the failing score presented itself on my computer screen. I also have had issues getting good quality studying time in and juggling this with family/social life (a common struggle for all).

My plan and study objectives: I’ve been focused on getting between 12-15 hours a week in until my exam at the end of next month.

My motivation: My family.

Hopefully I haven’t bored you with my CPA studying background and goals, as I approach my current but not last questions for all of you :-):

1. Supplementing RogerCPA with Ninja MCs. Is this enough? I am really focusing on the Ninja MCs, as the Roger q’s I ran through really quick.

2. I have about 140 questions left unseen in Ninja MCs and am trending around 54%. My goal is to finish these and then go back over all questions again. I’ve struggled with some of the calculation questions, so my first go around was really just understanding how to complete them. Should I delete all my stats and start over? How would everyone approach?

I have a new name, a new focus and a new dedication to beating this exam once and for all. This will be different than the past and I am confident that I can pass this exam. I’m glad everyone here is with me for this journey and I’m looking forward to keeping you all updated.

FlyguyFocus

BEC - 67, Mid-July retake
    FAR -
    AUD -
    REG -

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    CPA50
    Participant

Wow! Love your dedication and new focus. I also use Roger, supplemented with Ninja and also Fast Forward Academy. I have passed two and am determined to get FAR on Wednesday. I haven't taken BEC yet, so I can't help you with experience.

We can do this!! Go get 'em!

AUD - 80
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 80
    REG - 80
    3 years

+ 16 tests

+ 2 expired sections

= DONE FOREVER!

AUD 88 (expired), 80 retake
    FAR 64,69,67,73,67,73,73,73, August 3
    REG 75 (expired) September 7
    BEC 72, 77

The adventure continues...

Tncincy
    Participant

Welcome back…..don't take NO for an answer. The same obstacles and distractions will re-appear to be a discouragement but you have to be determined to stay focuses. What has helped me tremendously with studying is doing the questions first. Then going back to read or find formula's. I've found the formula to be within the answer to the questions. So I think Ninja mcq's and Roger is more than enough to pass. If you are looking to streamline the study process even more, get the audio or notes.

Congrats on your family accomplishments and good luck……..

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

Zuly
    Participant

Welcome back…stay strong!

I'm currently studying with Roger and also supplementing with NINJA MCQ and Wiley book for more references and questions. I think you'll do great with Roger and NINJA MCQ. Roger is really great at keeping your attention and the NINJA MCQs are a lot more difficult and comprehensive.

Wishing you much success!!

FAR - (11/01/14) 71 (02/07/15) 79
    AUD - (04/30/15) 86
    BEC - (07/21/15) 73 (10/01/15) 75
    REG - (11/30/15) 55 (05/19/16) 74

FlyguyFocus

HI Everyone

thanks for the support! Any feedback on question 2 in my original post? I am almost complete on the Ninja MCs and am trending around 54%. Wondering if I should “reset” my stats and start over, or just go over each section questions again with my existing scores. Will it help me track progress? I really need to focus in on the calculation questions. Either way, my goal is to complete all questions again, this time really understanding the wrong answers.

Also, going to start honing in on my notecards and go through Roger questions again. For the first time in a long time, I'm actually looking forward to my test at the end of the month.

FlyguyFocus

FAR -
    AUD -
    REG -

ruggercpa2b
    Participant

I dont think you should reset your stats. If anything your current scores should help you narrow down your weak areas. I know Jeff always tells us to try and raise that trending score to be in the 80s. I would also not focus too much on getting as many questions done but instead make you sure you truly understand the material in the questions that you are working through.

Welcome back!!! You can do this.

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    AUD - 1/6/18
    FAR - TBD
    REG - TBD
    BEC - TBD

AUD - 73, 72 retake 7/2/2016
    BEC - 8/20/2016
    REG - TBD
    FAR - TBD

I am so ready for this nightmare to be over. Been at this way too long.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm in the same position. Graduated college almost 7 years ago, went into public accounting, passed BEC failed AUD and FAR numerous times. I called it quits and always regretted not finishing it.

Fast forward to today. I started last fall and during that time frame I bought a house, got engaged, transitioned to a different department.. Although we don't have a kid yet, my fiancee pushed me to get it. And now here I am, 1 score release away from being done with this beast…

You CAN and you WILL get this done! Dedication and support from your family will get you through the exams. Best of luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good luck. I admire your dedication and perseverance.

GSU-CPA

Honestly with CPA there is no juggle between work social life family yada yada yada….

There is CPA and then there is work…. nothing else …. everything else needs to be placed on hold .

One would think that by now you would realize that…. also read Jeff's book he had similar struggle like you and it was only when he made the CPA his main priority and only priority that he succeeded. You can get it for free on his website.

REG-77
    BEC -Waiting on score May 5th
    AUD - May 30
    FAR - Q3 depending on if i pass above two in Q2

FlyguyFocus

Thank you everyone for their guidance and support! This has probably been my best 5 week study span in a long time. I'm looking forward to continuing the momentum up until my exam next month. Currently I am trending around 61% on ninja MCs. Would everyone think I am about where I should be at this point in my study plan?

Thanks again all!!

flyguyfocus

FAR -
    AUD -
    REG -

FlyguyFocus

Hello ninjas

A little less than one month until my fresh start with BEC. Currently, I'm trending around 62% on Nina mcqs. Am I on track? I'm about 70% through my second go around doing all the questions and once I am finished I may focus on those questions still answered incorrectly. Should I go back to the Roger questions or focus on Ninja MCs? I'm also doing ninja notes and studying my own flashcards I have made throughout the process.

Any advice would be fantastic!!!!

FAR -
    AUD -
    REG -

10keyLeah

So you went from 54% to 70%. Good job. Make sure you are reading all the correct and incorrect answers. Focus on your weakest areas, and try to get that 70% up to 80%. Be careful that you really understand a question, and that you are not just memorizing them. That can happen after you've been through questions once or twice. Ninja note are awesome, so use them!

Ninja Combo, Yaeger, Wiley -- Licensed CPA, May 2015

Zuly
    Participant

With a month to go I think you're doing great! I'd continue with NINJA MCQs since they are harder than Roger and tend to be more comprehensive. You can always go back and forth between the two to keep you from memorizing questions/answers, if that helps. I'm about to start studying for BEC with Roger and I also have NINJA 10PT combo. Any advice on studying for BEC?

FAR - (11/01/14) 71 (02/07/15) 79
    AUD - (04/30/15) 86
    BEC - (07/21/15) 73 (10/01/15) 75
    REG - (11/30/15) 55 (05/19/16) 74

FlyguyFocus

@10key – I have about 100 questions left on Ninja MC and my trending score is about 62% average is about the same. When referenced before, I meant to say i was 70% through the questions a second time around.

With a month to go, is 62% mean I need a ton of work? I will say this, for the first time, I feel like I've been “really” studying and dedicated to it, so I am actually at a point where i know i am not ready yet and still need some work. I'm just curious that once I complete the remaining mcs the second time around if I should redo ALL of them again for a 3rd time or just focus on the questions that have been answer incorrectly. Some guidance here would be very much appreciated!!!!

@zumo – definitely focus on the Roger videos and absorb everything and anything. Do all of the study questions as well and the class questions. Once complete, just keep doing those ninja mcs!

FAR -
    AUD -
    REG -

FlyguyFocus

Hi ninjas any advice on the above question on MCs?

FAR -
    AUD -
    REG -

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.