8 Weeks Until FAR…UGH!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have 8ish weeks until FAR. My test date is July 26th (I started studying May 14th). I’m currently studying 2 hours/night on the weekday and 5 hours/night on weekends. So 20 hours a week total. I feel like I am moving sooooo slow trying to learn all these topics.. I’m using WileyCPAExcel and I’m on lesson 11/75 (which is inventory). I’m actually learning the stuff pretty good by learning from my mistakes on MCQ… I need to move faster though (I think). I previously read that maybe not listening to the lectures is a good way to go, but the thing is they kind of help me. When I read stuff I don’t necessarily take everything in.

Right now here is my study regime per section:

Watch Lecture + Take Notes

Read Chapter

Do MCQ for the Chapter

Should I cut some of that out, or maybe start moving on to the next section even if I don’t quite understand another section yet just for the sake of getting everything in? I’m currently behind the schedule the software laid out for me but thats partly because I pushed back my test date in the software and I think the due dates on stuff that should have already been due didn’t change. In other words I may catch up to that. I’m just SO stressed right now. Should I keep taking the time to learn the material or need to make more haste? I have about 8ish weeks.

Edit:

Also I feel like the quality of my studies aren’t that great on the weekdays… Like I’m not as efficient because I am sooo freaking tired by time 5-6pm rolls around. I was thinking about maybe doing lectures/reading during the week and doing all MCQ on the weekends.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nessie
    Participant

I am sitting for FAR in two weeks. I am thankful I took 3 days in the middle of my study period to review the first half of the material. I would recommend knowing 90% of the chapter material before moving on. About a month out, spend 30 min a day or so going over your trouble topics. Or, half way through, spend a few days reviewing what you have learned thus far. The thing is, if you leave 2 weeks to review, you won’t have time to learn at that point. A lot of people on this forum panic because they have to learn during their review period.

Good luck and stay focused!

AUD - 80
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 80
    REG - 88
    Using Becker Self-Study, Final Review and NINJA MCQs
    Sat for BEC Dec 6th, 2016 !!!! 84!!!!!

REG Aug 20/15: 88
    AUD: Feb 29/16: 80
    FAR: Jun 10/16: 80
    BEC?

Becker self-study, Becker Final Review & NINJA MCQS

Sage
    Participant

Here is my recommendation based on my own experience. I am using Wiley CPAExcel as well, and I have the Becker books because I had Becker through my first job for a while. I also have been doing a similar 2-3 hours on the weeknights and 5-6 hours on the weekends. Usually I will take off one day a week (or have a really light day) when I first start a section.

I highly recommend continuing to watch the lectures. CPAExcel does short lectures and I really like that, much better than the crazy Becker lectures. I think the instructors give you a good, high level overview of a topic. My process has been to listen to the lecture, then do the multiple choice questions. In my current section (REG), I have found it helpful to spend one or two nights just doing lectures and questions for that lecture, and not worrying too much if I missed a bunch of questions. I'll get through 4 or 5 lessons (or one sub-topic area if there are only a handful of lessons). Then I will spend a night or two going back through those lessons, reading the material and digging into the questions more until I have gotten at least a 90% on that lesson. I have read about how your subconscious brain continues to process things, and I have found it extremely helpful to get a topic rolling in my brain, then it sinks in better when I look at it again a couple days later. This has been my approach during the weekdays, then I usually spend the weekend really diving into lessons I struggled with during the week, or trying to get a jump start on the next area. I think this also helps with reinforcing concepts and helped me get through the lessons faster so at least I am exposed in case I get a question on the test that surprises me.

You have lots of time, don't stress yourself out too much yet., particularly because of burn-out. Stay dedicated to studying for at least two hours during the week and it helps you stay on it. I would say you should try to ramp up your study efforts as the test gets closer, and I think you will naturally do that as the panic of the test comes up, that's what always happened with me anyways. When I first started studying it was really slow going, then about a month before the exam I go into panic mode and find the energy to do an extra hour or two a day and I stopped taking days off.

I definitely advise to do LOTS of practice on questions you've finished. I think one thing that helped me in the sections I have passed so far is to go to the EQ Tutor in CPAExcel and do a 20-30 question quiz on the questions I have correctly answered. This is a good review to do a couple times a week, and as you go farther in the material it will have more to pull from. This can give you a good insight into if you are retaining the material and if there are areas you need to go back and review. I think that helps make the review at the end not so intense and scary because you've been reviewing as you go. I also liked to do quizzes on questions I haven't answered yet, and that gives me a feel for what's coming up.

Is this your first section? Good luck!!

AUD - 79
    BEC - 81
    FAR - 89
    REG - 81
    "You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water" -Rabindranath Tagore

FAR - 89
    AUD - 78
    BEC - 81
    REG - 5/28/16

TrackStar
    Participant

@crusheverything just to add my thoughts. I took it once and used Becker only and now going at it at a whole new angle. You can do all the lectures and MCQS you want but please make sure you purchase Jeff's Ninja Notes as well and re-write/ re-type them it's like a brain teaser and can benefit. My test is coming as well in July and I've started from scratch with FAR and feel like Im going to pass this time around with Ninja included.

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with the problems longer" ~Albert Einstein ~

FAR (04/16/16)-61, (07/23/16)- Becker, Ninja Notes, Ninja MCQs
    Reg (09/10/16) Becker, Ninja Notes, Ninja MCQs
    AUD (11/05/16) prob. Roger, Ninja Notes, Ninja MCQs
    Bec (TBD)

Anonymous
    Inactive

@justwanttofinish Did you also read the chapters as well, or just do lectures and mcq?

@TrackStar I was considering purchasing the Ninja Notes if I have the time in my review stages. I just feel so overwhelmed right now, I can't even think about getting more material :(.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bump

Anonymous
    Inactive

FAR was, by FAR, the most difficult section for me. I spent about 10 weeks studying for it. I also used CPAexcel, and I added Ninja MCQs during the final three weeks or so (highly recommended!). I never watched any of the lectures, as I found them to be a waste of valuable time. I took AUD first and watched all of the lectures, but I found that I pretty much zoned out during them. So I stopped watching them from that point forward. I also suggest for you to move on, even if you're struggling with a section. Go through the material and do the best you can to understand things, but don't waste too much time on it. FAR has so much material that if you keep doing that, you'll keep falling further and further behind. You will also find that as you go through more of the material, some of the stuff you didn't understand the first time just seems to come together.

My studying basically consisted of the following: read each section and do MCQs/SIMS. I saved myself about three weeks before the exam to just focus on the Wiley MCQ test bank and Ninja MCQs. While doing these, I would take notes that I could review periodically. FAR was beyond overwhelming for me, and the material didn't really start coming together for me until less than a week before the exam. It's a long battle and I totally feel your pain right now. I had more than a few emotional breakdowns while studying FAR. 😉 Hang in there…you will get through it! Best of luck to you!

Anonymous
    Inactive

you have eight weeks. that is plenty of time. get your mind right- you are psyching yourself out. continue at your pace. see where you are a week from now,or two weeks from now. definitely do not panic.

FAR is 36 days out for me and i just started studying if that makes you feel any better. take solace in my procrastinatory ways. (i actually work better under pressure) right now my brain is telling me oh well you still got a month left to study if you watch netflix for the next week. the closer the exam, i find, the less my mind plays tricks on me and tries to deceive me.

TrackStar
    Participant

If it helps type up your notes as you read the material that way when doing MCQs you can quickly reference them. I did that in college and just switched over to that method here recently and it's working. So I have my own notes and the Ninja to reconcile against. Treat it like work.

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with the problems longer" ~Albert Einstein ~

FAR (04/16/16)-61, (07/23/16)- Becker, Ninja Notes, Ninja MCQs
    Reg (09/10/16) Becker, Ninja Notes, Ninja MCQs
    AUD (11/05/16) prob. Roger, Ninja Notes, Ninja MCQs
    Bec (TBD)

Anonymous
    Inactive

My plan going forward for anyone else studying FAR using CPAExcel:

Studying:
    Read Sections
    Do MCQ (Skip Lectures)
    Skip Research Base TBS. (Debating skipping all TBS because they are time consuming but good practice.)

^ This is so I can get through all the material at a good pace.

Review:
    Re-write Study Notes
    Pound MCQ
    Memorize Formulas/Calculations

I'm going to put special focus on NFP, Government, Bonds, and JE during review because I see a lot of people saying it's tested pretty heavily. What does everyone think of this method?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.