In continuation of last week, heres Part 2 to my Beginners Guide to Testing at Prometric.
Virginias Beginners Guide to Testing at Prometric, Part II:
- The Prometric worker leads you to your computer, where you are prompted to enter that launch code you copied off your NTS onto your scrap paper. Once that launch code is entered you have 10 minutes to start the exam or you are locked out and you cant begin. You do have some house-keeping type questions to answer on the computer during this time as well.
- Use this time to quickly jot down anything you want on your scrap paper, adjust your chair, and set up. Dont let that 10 minutes go by without starting your test, not only will it lock you out you will have to pay again to re-sit and wait until the next testing window to take your exam. There is no countdown clock for these ten minutes.
- If you wear layers and you take off one layer during the exam, someone from Prometric will come in and ask you to either put it back on or will take it from you. Having someone interrupt you when youre deep into the CPA exam is very distracting. Out of the four Prometric sites Ive tested at, I find that theyre all very cold.
- If its winter and you have a running nose, you cant bring tissues in (not even one). But you can go out and get one from the Prometric staff.
- Know where the bathroom is before you start your test and if youll need a key or not.
The least amount of time you can waste on breaks the better. Its probably best to note where the water is too (water fountain, water cooler, etc).
- If you take a break during the exam, the only thing you take with you from your computer is your ID, everything else can be left at your computer. When you walk out of the secured computer area you must sign out with the Prometric person that signed you in. Then youre free to head to the bathroom or the water fountain.
You have to check back in with the same person, sign back in and pull out your pockets again to show there is nothing in them. When you sit back down at your computer youll have to re-enter your launch code from your NTS.
- After your exam is complete, youll go through some more house-keeping type questions on the computer. When youre all done with that you walk back out to your Prometric person thats been checking you in and out. You must sign out one final time, and hand in your scrap paper and pencils. The Prometric worker will give you a stamped authorization indicating you took that exam on that day. After that, youre free to leave.
Dont forget to take a nice deep breath when you get outside youre done (for now) with that one!