BEC Experience

• Creator
    Topic
    zman
    Participant

Man…. I feel like I really dropped the ball on the MCQ’s. There was a lot of questions that I had to flag on the first set and ended up guessing on most of those. I feel like I was able to finesse my way through the SIM’s and the written communication’s are what they are.

If I don’t pass it is definitely because of that first MCQ set. I felt really good about the second set. Praying I passed and can be done with all of this but I don’t feel good about it at all.

AUD - 77
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 81
    There is no substitute for effort and attitude
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    FutureCPA2019
    Participant

Gosh, it seems like a lot of people had troubles with this BEC exam (including me). I took it on October 7th and am still waiting for my score. This was the first exam for me when I just wanted to walk away in the middle of it as I get totally crushed by the questions. Let’s hope this means that there will be a curve 🤞

AUD - 90
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 87
    REG - 88
    🌸
    VD
    Participant

Yeah, I took it on 10/14 and the first MCQ testlet was super hard. I also had to guess on a lot them.

I thought sims were ok but I spent too much time on them that I ran out of time for the writing section. I only managed to finish one.

Hope they throw out the questions that most people get wrong 😀

Stevie
    Participant

Do you feel the exam was more conceptual or calculation based?

Thanks

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 80
    REG - 81
    (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^
    zman
    Participant

First testlet was very heavy on calculations. Second testlet was not. My Sims actually required a decent working knowledge of financial accounting.

AUD - 77
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 81
    There is no substitute for effort and attitude
    se7en.14
    Participant

Are there 4 SIMs and 3 WC on each exam?

Orpheus
    Participant

I took BEC 2 days ago. This was a strange, frustrating experience. I am confident that I failed it. 2 month of FULL TIME preparation did not help me at all (this is in addition to PhD in business and 5 years of business professor experience…). A lucky high school kid with 0 college education could pass it; the most educated person could failed it. Most of the questions I would evaluate from the educational perspective as a total trash. It was technically the junk that you could not learn anywhere but could use a sophisticated guess…; most of the info not directly covered by NINJA or GLEIM or any other resource. I had approximately 30 (half of the test) MCQs from IT garbage and COSO trash. One of my SIMS was extremely wordy, I almost fall asleep while reading, forgetting the beginning of the story when approached to the end. Extremely time consuming SIM, based on Variances analysis – all sections had 2 types of entry (2 types of labor, 2 types of material, 2 types of VO…). There is ABSOLUTELY no way for me to finish this trash on time… The last WC I just started; 1 SIM – put just random answers (there was no time to calculate)…
    My conclusion: when I'll hire a new employee, I will never give a preference to a person with CPA just because the person has it…
    96 trending on NINJA, 86 average, and I know all topics and concepts. NOTHING could help…

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - 69
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 89
    Per aspera ad astra
    Ralphie Dos Nachos
    Participant

@Orpheus I'm right there with you, I'm excited to start REG at this point. My third take on BEC will be january 2nd, happy new year to me.

FAR - 76

AUD - 89

BEC - 84

REG - 86

Lindsey_p87
    Participant

@Orpheus if you were trending a 96 on Ninja, I'd be very shocked if you failed. It may have felt like the material came from left field, but the questions come from the Blueprints. If you have a good knowledge of the study material and can APPLY it to questions you haven't directly seen, I think you're fine.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

Orpheus
    Participant

Lindsey, this is the problem: the ability to apply in most cases was irrelevant on this test. The most difficult part was not to find the right answer but to realize what the question is about. Again: approximately 30 questions on COSO & IT. This is absolutely different from my September attempt (I failed it but I came virtually without preparation). There was absolutely no time for me to process all the information (time management skills – irrelevant in this case).

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - 69
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 89
    Per aspera ad astra
    JJ
    Participant

(wrong thread)

hamcpa2018
    Participant

Just took BEC and I have no idea what I just took. This test was not representative of Ninja or Gleim. I used Gleim and Ninja to pass my other 3 sections. Besides the IT questions and the 1 variance sim, I would have bet the rest of the test was all pretest. Virtually no calculations and 85% of the cram (cost, finance, currency, ect) omitted from test. Guess I will be taking this again in January. (FAR expires 1/21 – fantastic!) What I cannot wrap my head around is this: it's one thing to take the test and bomb on topics that you saw/studied in the cram. It's another to bomb the test because you didn't see it in the cram. I agree with Orpheus, the ability to apply was irrelevant on this version of the test. Never had this problem before. I'm absolutely flabbergasted.

Ever been so frustrated you skipped anger and went straight to laughing like a lunatic...........
    3Countries
    Participant

Orpheus, did you use Excel during the exam? I found that it really helped me to keep track of all the information I encountered in the SIMs for BEC. I took it recently and don't yet know if I passed, but I actually had 80 minutes left once I got to the WCs. If anything, using Excel helped me save a lot of time, which enabled me to relax and take my time on the essay portion. I am also a relatively fast test-taker, so that might be part of it too, but I still think Excel made a big difference.

I can definitely identify with your main complaint, though. Some of the conceptual questions they asked in the M/C section were not covered by my review material at all and required sophisticated guessing.

AUD - 83
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 85
    REG - 80
    SDG
    Lindsey_p87
    Participant

@Orpheus, I agree that figuring out what the question is asking is the majority of the battle on these tests.

Idk, maybe I've just gotten lucky? But I have yet to see a ton of questions that weren't covered in the material. The ones that are truly from left field are probably pre-test. I hope that you will update us when you get your score because I'd still be very surprised if you failed.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

Rosie
    Participant

I just left. I’m not feeling too confident. I did not manage my time well at all. I spent too much time on the first Testlet and couldn’t make up the time anywhere else. I only had 30 minutes for the written communications. I only had that because I guessed a few of my SIMS. The timer went to :00 then I pressed submit. It’s going to be torture until 12/19 release.

AUD - 76
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 81
    REG - 81

AUD: 76 (March 2019)

FAR: 63 (January 2019), 81 (May 2019)

REG: 81 (September 2019)

BEC: 76 (December 2019)

Goal: Pass all Sections by Dec 2019 COMPLETE!

VexS
    Participant

@Orpheus; I agree with your sentiment. I was furious coming out of the exam finding that the majority of the topics that I studied were not tested for me. Hardly received any calculations for the MCQs at all. Hopefully, December 19 will bring us good news.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.