BEC Study Group - Page 3

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    hannah.nido
    Participant

Took BEC this weekend. Just some helpful advice. I would focus a lot of your time on WACC, dividend yield, payback, IRR, NPV, ROA, ROE and ROI. Know how to calculate and what they are. I had 2 economic value added (EVA) questions which lucky I guessed correctly on how to solve. I did not get a single question about Econ (GDP, supply/demand). Got one about exchange rate. Also I made the mistake of knowing COSO- IC and ERM principals but not really understanding what each one really helps prevent. Also technology and supply chain were highly tested.

Good luck everyone!

AUD - 75
    BEC - 83
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training

TC85
    Participant

Fourth attempt on Thursday….really anxious! BEC has been my most difficult and I'm ready to get this out of the way but each time I study I can tell I'm only familiar with it and my eyes start glazing over it….so does my brain lol.

I know it's a vague question, but any advice or tips? Short of hiring a personal tutor, this section is giving me a fit! I've done best with IT and Econ concepts..the cost acct and capital budgeting…..ick.

REG - 74, 76

BEC - 69, 67, 72, 77!

AUD - 70, 73, 75

FAR - 62, 71, 74, rematch 2/13/19!

Diana
    Participant

Aw!

Let your biggest failures be your biggest motivators.

we are all trying to better ourselves; we made it this far, we got this!!

liz
    Participant

Thank you!!!

Jona
    Participant

Hey everyone! Took BEC for the first time back in November and failed miserably 🙁 Retaking it again on January 29th so have about 2 or so weeks left to study and review. The first time I took it I remember it not being as heavy with calculations and more concepts/definitions. Does anyone have any tips on how to study these last 2 weeks?

Thank you!!

Jona
    Participant

Hey everyone! Took BEC for the first time back in November and failed miserably 🙁 Retaking it again on January 29th so have about 2 or so weeks left to study and review. The first time I took it I remember it not being as heavy with calculations and more concepts/definitions. Does anyone have any tips on how to study these last 2 weeks?

Diana
    Participant

OK; so here’s something for y’all to try that really helped me.
    You’ll see above how I mentioned knowing concepts; that’s the most important!!! Because if you understand a concept, the formula is the concept!

So here’s how I realized I learned best.
    Most of us feel like to understand, we have to put it in our own words
    I just ninja as a supplement to Roger.
    I bought a big white board and expo markers (it’s probably 2×3 ft).

So during lectures, I listen and just make small notes on my actual notes
    After each lecture or major group I stop the lecture.
    I go to my white board and I write down key points like roger as I’m going over the concept out loud. Don’t under estimate this method; try it!!!

Let your biggest failures be your biggest motivators.

we are all trying to better ourselves; we made it this far, we got this!!

sg235
    Participant

@Diana- that is a good methodology! Will put it to use:)

AUD - 86
    BEC - 81
    FAR - 80
    REG - 80
    They were on to something when they said do it right the first time..
    Pendragon87
    Participant

Hey guys.

I'm retaking BEC this Thursday after getting a 71 in December 2018.

Has anyone here taken the exam in both quarters and noticed any significant changes? I noticed that there were no revisions to the AICPA blueprints for BEC for Jan 1 2019. But just want to stay alert for any curve balls.

Thanks!

AUD Score  74 , 73 , 68 , 78

BEC Score    71 , 82

FAR Score   60 , 76

REG Score   61, 82

Jona
    Participant

Hey guys!

I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly WACC is…I feel like I'm doing problems but I don't actually understand why I'm calculating them they way I am

Jona
    Participant

Hey guys!

I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly WACC is…I feel like I'm doing problems but I don't actually understand why I'm calculating them they way I am

TC85
    Participant

You're basically calculating the cost (interest rate) only on the percentage of that type of debt or equity, so you can see how much of each type of borrowings is actually costing you.

So, for example:

30% Debt at 5% int, 30% tax rate
    70% Equity at 10% int

Start with the debt. The debt is costing you 5% in interest, but interest on debt is tax deductible so you're really paying (5*(100%-30%)) or 3.5%
    So you debt is costing you: 30 * 3.5% = 1.05%

Next, your equity, which accounts for 70% of borrowings, is costing you 70 * 10% = 7%

So your total cost of borrowing money is 1.05% + 7% = 8.05%.

Those numbers are way off from what's common in reality lol but it's only for illustration. I hope that helps!

REG - 74, 76

BEC - 69, 67, 72, 77!

AUD - 70, 73, 75

FAR - 62, 71, 74, rematch 2/13/19!

CPAnerd
    Participant

Hey guys! I take BEC in a week. Does anyone have any suggestions what to focus on? Especially for the sims? Or even want to share your experience, thanks 🙂

Pendragon87
    Participant

@CPAnerd

Not sure how much I am allowed to disclose about the exam, all I can say is MCQs are tough, hardly any Economics mcqs, don't just memorize financial formulas but try to understand them because questions can get worded in a very strange way. Also, not sure if you took FAR yet, but it definitely helps to know FAR for the BEC and AUD sims.

AUD Score  74 , 73 , 68 , 78

BEC Score    71 , 82

FAR Score   60 , 76

REG Score   61, 82

cpaswag
    Participant

need help with steps on this question :

The J company adheres to credit terms in payment of accounts payable of either 2/10, net 30 (when offered) or simply net 30. Discounts of 2% are offered on 20% of all purchases. The remaining 80% have terms net 30. Assume purchases are made evenly throughout month. Purchases of $310,000 are projected to be made in March and $360,000 during month of April. What are projected cash disbursements for April?

Answer was 309,600

I got the fact that first step we gotta do is finding average daily purchases for March and April by dividing by number of days but confused after that

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.