[Q3] BEC Study Group 2014 - Page 75

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff
    Keymaster

@h0wdyus

Incorrect

The answer is B. Comparable sales.

“The use of comparable sales is not an income approach to valuation of a business, it is a market approach. Under the comparable sales approach, the value of a business is determined by comparing it to other entities with comparable characteristics for which the value is more readily determinable.”

This was a tricky one

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 15 replies - 1,111 through 1,125 (of 2,289 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    M.O.D.

Actual costing is the historical cost that the firm paid for the product. It is the cost used in preparing financial statements according to GAAP.

Normal costing is the overhead cost averaged over the seasons, usually one year. (used to set overhead rates)

Currently attainable (practical) standards: expected to be achieved with well-trained workers, allowance for normal spoilage and downtime (possible but difficult to attain) (used to set standards)

Ideal (maximum/theoretical) standards: set under optimal conditions, no waste, downtime, most skilled workers (sometimes used for JIT/Lean production goals)

Guys, you have to know this basic cost accounting.

BA Mathematics, UC Berkeley
    Certificates in CPA and EA preparation, College of San Mateo
    CMA I 420, II 470
    FAR 91, AUD Feb 2015 (Gleim self-study)

M.O.D.

Concentration banking is using regional banks (which transfer to a headquarters bank), in conjunction with lock-boxes to speed up check receipts.

CMA I 420, II 470

GoVPI
    Participant

Stole.. what program are you using?

MOD.. I feel a consensus that most people on this board struggle with cost. Maybe Becker isn't strong enough on it.

BEC - Passed

AUD - 74 šŸ™

REG - TBD

FAR - TBD

BEC 8/14/14 - Passed
    Graduated from college 12/13/14
    AUD 8/31/15 - 74. Retake - Passed
    REG
    FAR

M.O.D.

Questionable (trick?) question

Which of the following nonvalue-added costs associated with manufactured work-in-process inventory is most significant?

A. The cost of materials that cannot be traced to any individual product.

B. The cost of labor that cannot be traced to any individual product.

C. The cost of additional resources consumed to produce any individual product.

D. The cost of moving, handling, and storing any individual product.

@14

Stole is using Gleim plus some other test banks as well.

What does Becker cover under cost accounting?

CMA I 420, II 470

stoleway
    Participant

@M.O.D….is my answer to your question correct?

@CPAin14…..Im using Gleim, Ninja, WTB, and cpareviewforfree, its my last exam and I'm leaving no stone unturned. I am struggling with some random concepts in Ninja though. I hope it gets better before exam day.

@MOD…….D. The cost of moving, handling, and storing any individual product.

The cost of carrying inventory is a major headache for most firms, but it actually doesn't add any value to the products.

REG -63ā”‚ 84!!
    BEC- 59ā”‚70ā”‚ 71 ā”‚78!
    AUD- 75!
    FAR- 87!

Mass-CPA

M.O.D.

Practical capacity is NOT the right answer. It is used to set standards but not the overhead rate.

Normal capacity is smoothed for seasonal changes and is used to set the overhead rate.

Please read my explanations above.

Yes, cost of moving is a non-value added activity, but why would it be called “significant”? Is it because it is the biggest? I would not think so. Corporate administration (including accounting) are non-value added activities as well and are likely even more significant.

And the other items on the list are not even non-value added activities: they are all overhead applied to the product.

CMA I 420, II 470

Masso
    Participant
    M.O.D.

Which of the following systems assists with nonroutine decisions, serves strategic levels of the organization, and helps answer questions regarding what a companyā€™s competitors are doing, as well as identifies new acquisitions that would protect the company from cyclical business swings?

A. Decision support system.

B. Management information system.

C. Executive support system.

D. Transaction processing system.

CMA I 420, II 470

Masso
    Participant

I think it is executive support system

M.O.D.

ESS is correct.

What do the other ones do?

CMA I 420, II 470

Zackrampage

C I believe.

FAR - 62 , End of aug 2015
    BEC - 67, 67
    AUD - TBD
    REG - TBD

Masso
    Participant

DSS examine data and present choices to manager

MIS receive info from TPS, aggragates them and reports them into useful format

TPS is a type of business info system. it includes batch processing and online processing

GoVPI
    Participant

@ MOD, Im relistening to Becker cost chapter tonight. I will get back with you.

Decision support system – extension of a management info system that provides tools in support of decision marking

Management information system – provides management feedback on daily operations of financial and non financial reports internal and external to help make decisions.

Executive support system – answered in question above

Transaction processing system – processes transactions such as payroll (typically high volume transactions)

BEC - Passed

AUD - 74 šŸ™

REG - TBD

FAR - TBD

BEC 8/14/14 - Passed
    Graduated from college 12/13/14
    AUD 8/31/15 - 74. Retake - Passed
    REG
    FAR

stoleway
    Participant

Let me add some important features to MASO explanation

DSS examine data and present choices to manager- Deals with unstructured and complex data, this requires human judgement and insight

MIS receive info from TPS, aggragates them and reports them into useful format- data is usually structured and easy to interpret, in summary it gives you automated responses

TPS is a type of business info system. it includes batch processing and online processing- This is a subset of MIS, information from here is transferred into MIS

REG -63ā”‚ 84!!
    BEC- 59ā”‚70ā”‚ 71 ā”‚78!
    AUD- 75!
    FAR- 87!

Mass-CPA

M.O.D.

Nice. Good job everyone. This is how we should answer all questions on here, with full explanations and with showing our work.

Also, you should have a note file with all these summary information, in your own words.

My file is on word and some 30 pages long.

These notes you refine throughout practice, and should have memorized before the exam.

If you fail then it is because your notes were incomplete or not memorized, so you can continue building up your notes for the next exam…

CMA I 420, II 470

Viewing 15 replies - 1,111 through 1,125 (of 2,289 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.