Hedging: Risk Sharing or Risk reduction

• Creator
    Topic
    Pravi.iyer
    Participant

Hi,

I have a quick question:

Becker’s B1-M1, Simulation 1 mentions that Hedging is “Risk reduction”. OTOH, Wiley CPA states that Hedging is a means of “Risk Sharing”.

Which one of the above is correct please?

Thank you

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Thanks.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    AusNat
    Participant

They both are correct.

If I make denim and my raw materials costs will skyrocket if the price of cotton surges up, then I'm facing a risk of loss when cotton prices rise. So I buy a call option from you to purchase 25,000 lbs of cotton at $5.00 per lb. on June 1. Now, if the price of cotton goes up $1 to $6/lb between now and June 1, I'll be out $30,000 in extra raw materials cost that I need to make my fabric, BUT I'll also be able to buy $150,000 worth of cotton from you for only $125,000 when I exercise the option, so I've made $25,000 on the option and (netting the loss and the gain), my risk that cotton prices will surge in the next few months has been REDUCED to $5,000 instead of $30,000.

But there has to be a loser too. I bought that call option from someone – you. You have to sell me $150,000 of cotton for $125,000. For me to offset my potential loss with a potential gain, someone else has to enter into an opposing position and risk losing when I win. In the process of reducing my own risk from cotton prices rising, I transferred some of that risk to you when I bought the option.

AUD - 94
    BEC - 90
    FAR - 95
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Are we there yet?

Waiting impatiently on my last score.

Pravi.iyer
    Participant

thank you. But what's the correct answer to choose at the CPA exam – reduction or sharing?

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Thanks.
    AusNat
    Participant

Did you get a practice question on that? I can't imagine an exam asking that question and giving both of those as answer options, but if they did, I would select risk reduction. That's my purpose in entering into the hedge.

AUD - 94
    BEC - 90
    FAR - 95
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Are we there yet?

Pravi.iyer
    Participant

It's a Becker simulation Q

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Thanks.
    AusNat
    Participant

A Becker simulation asked you to select whether hedging is risk reduction or risk sharing? Or did it just use a different phrase to describe something than Wiley did?

AUD - 94
    BEC - 90
    FAR - 95
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Are we there yet?

Pravi.iyer
    Participant

Becker asked me to pick b'ween the 2.

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Thanks.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.