BEC – October-November 2009 Window

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff
    Keymaster

This thread is for people taking the Business Environment and Concepts section of the CPA Exam in the October/November 2009 window.

As always, please adhere to the AICPA disclosure guidelines.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Olinto2020
    Participant

I took BEC this past week, used Becker and thought I was well prepared. This is my last section and I can't say how happy I was to not have to study for any sims. As far as the IT stuff was concerned I thought Becker did a fine job getting me ready. Don't underestimate BEC though. It packs a punch!

FAR 88

Aud 92

REG 97

BEC ??

Yandra
    Participant

Hi.. I'm taking the BEC on Nov.30 for the fourth time. Any advice??? I'm determine to pass this exam no matter what.. Help…!!

jeff
    Keymaster

"Hi.. I'm taking the BEC on Nov.30 for the fourth time. Any advice??? I'm determine to pass this exam no matter what.. Help…!! "

Have you considered the Yaeger BEC HomeStudy? It's what I used to pass BEC after 3 failed attempts…

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    zrhodes
    Participant

I'm taking BEC on Nov 9th and am using Becker Review materials. I'm just wondering how other people have studied as far as reading the actual material. The other sections of the exam have had chapters around 55 pages but all of the BEC chapters seem like there 100+ pages. The instructors tell you to read through all the material at least once. What have others done as far as reading or just going over what they covered in the lectures that has seemed to work for you?

Thanks

AUD – 92

FAR – 89

REG – 10/1 (felt like I got a 40)

BEC – 11/9

Anonymous
    Inactive

I read through all of the chapters twice and skimmed the supplement/addendum that is on the becker site. I relied a lot on the pass keys and did A TON of MCs. I took on Oct 3rd and felt pretty good when I left. After I started studying (after the 3rd chapter), I was so ready to give up! Don't let the exam scare you, but don't take it for granted either. Know your formulas and how to get to the answer if you have to get there by working backwards, plugging, etc.

jeff
    Keymaster

I have a section on how I attacked BEC and finally passed in my e-book if interested.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    jeff
    Keymaster

https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-review-free-book.html

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    Anonymous
    Inactive

BEC score release on Friday the 13th?!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, here goes…I have been contemplating how I was going to take FAR (60-ouch) and BEC (72) and in what order. My parents had asked one of their friends who took the exam at 50 how he studied for the exam and explained that he used Bisk everything and without everything he would not have passed. (I am using ONLY Bisk books, because I did not want to pay all that money.) So my parents called me one night and said "Would you care if we paid for a complete review course for you, since you are 0/2?" Of course, I said sure and she said well our friend said Bisk is $1500. So I started researching different study materials…I purchased Yeager today (Now & Then). I am so excited to start using Yeager.

However, I was going to retake FAR on November 9th, but all I am doing is basically handwriting the entire book over and I am not retaining anything. I am also leaving for Hawaii next Monday until the 28th, so I really wouldn't be ready. So after total deliberation and pondering, I decided I am going to wait for my Yeager books to arrive and begin reviewing for BEC on the 29th of October and take the exam on November 30th. I only studied for three weeks with an additional review of 1 week, only with the Bisk book. I feel like I will be more than prepared for the exam! I AM NOT FAILING AGAIN! I will then take FAR in January or February, take a break for the heat of tax season, take REG in May, and AUD in July! Does this sound like it makes sense or should I change how I am doing things? I hate failing, especially when my sister is a 4.00 at a D1 school and is such a perfectionist. I am the oldest one and I have to look up to her! How sad is that? Oh…and she begins taking the CPA in a year…so, I need to pass this and be finished before she starts.

Sorry for such a long post. I don't really have anyone to take advice from here, so this site is so encouraging! Thanks, Jeff!

Anonymous
    Inactive

KSgirl86: Sounds like your awfully competitive with your sister, I'm competitive in general as well and my advice would be to absolutely use that as motivation. I strongly think that you have to find what motivates you to get the exam done, and everybody is motivated differently.

Definitely make sure you have enough time for FAR. It's a WHOLE lot of information to take in. I don't know about Bisk review, I used Becker, but i would recommend understanding the topics at the depth they are presented, don't try to go and understand them deeper than you need to. That exam is huge, but each topic doesn't go very in depth. Know the needed material for each topic, don't make it more complicated than it already is, it sucks enough without that!

jeff
    Keymaster

KSgirl – I agree that you should postpone FAR and take BEC at the end of November…100% agree with that plan.

-Jeff

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I just can't wait for Yeager to get here! I only ordered it this morning when I got to work, but I want it now! When this whole thing is over, it is going to be a miracle! I gave up my GPA for somewhat of a social life, my sister gave up her social life for her GPA. There is a difference, but you have to have social skills. She retains everything and I study for the exam and forget it all. I really think Yeager is going to work well for me! I am sooooo excited!

Thanks for your comments!

Do you think I will be ready to take any of these exams sooner, or do you think they are spread out with time wisely?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn't give up social life for my GPA and I didn't give up social life for the CPA exam. No wonder I'm going on 2 years trying to pass this madness…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'd go crazy with no socializing!

Anonymous
    Inactive

KSgirl86,

Since you are using Bisk books only, are you getting enough practice doing retired CPA exam questions?

In my opinion, even if you know the material inside and out and have been practicing it for years, if you don't practice doing actual CPA exam questions, you are not going to do well. They are VERY tricky!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.