BEC – October-November 2009 Window - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff
    Keymaster

This thread is for people taking the Business Environment and Concepts section of the CPA Exam in the October/November 2009 window.

As always, please adhere to the AICPA disclosure guidelines.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree! The more practice you can get on those evil questions the better!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just didn't want to fork out the money. Now my parents are helping me out, so I get the most out of my review material. My Yeager was shipped today! YAY! Then I will have the lectures, software, and the books. I am not gaining anything from the books alone. So I am trying something else before I get my motivation so far down the drain that there is no coming back.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think a good review software is necessary. I would have been completely lost and wuldn't not even have known where to start without it!

I'm sure you'll find it very helpful! I used Becker, but I've heard great things about Yeager!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just don't get Bisk! Maybe it is because I only used the books, but after all the things I heard about Yeager, I was impressed. I even talked to Bonni Yeager on the phone and she was very personable and acted like she cared.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats nice for them to be so personal. Becker is definitely not very personal. Although I must say when I had complete electronic failure, they did a great job of making sure I could still put the software on my computer even though I went over my alotted download amount! So I guess they did a pretty good job overall.

I think it would be hard to study with only books. I feel like things have to be told to me in like 3 different ways before I get it haha. I'll stare at a book for hours and not retain a thing!

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is exactly how I feel. I am currently on Chapter 13 – Accounting for Income Taxes in the Bisk book and it is the only chapter out of 20 that I know like the back of my hand, but I work a lot in this area. So for the other 19 chapters, I am not so much retaining anything whatsoever.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You definitely have to figure out what works best for you! Luckily I took the exam during/right after my master's degree so I felt pretty comfortable with how I needed to study to retain the information

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't have my masters. I have two BBA in Accounting and Financial Planning. I finished my accounting degree a year and a half before I graduated from college, so I was only working on Financial Planning to get my required hours. Then I graduated last December and started working December 29, just in time for tax season. So I had almost 2 years without any accounting classes. It is really hurting me!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ya it makes a big difference, keeps it fresh in your head! My professors did a great job stressing us to get the exam done ASAP. The program has a great passing rate so they seem to be doing an excellent job!

My boyfriend is in a similar boat as you, he's been working for 9 years or so though and the exam just kept getting put off,and hes going back to do it now. He's having a difficult time, but making progress!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I guess you could say I am making progress to going from a 60 on FAR (my first test, which I forgot how to study) to a 72 on BEC (sort of figured out a better way to study). So close, but yet no cigar.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don't get discouraged, its hard but theres a lot of people going through the same thing! You just have to keep at it every time! He passed audit, but has failed REG & FAR multiple times, it hasnt' been fun but I just keep tryign to stress to him how rewarding all the hours will be when he just gets it over and done with!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have wanted to quit so many times. I can't even sleep at night because I feel like I should be studying. I can't have a drink with friends because I should be studying. This exam is to me and my friends baby is to her. It is absolutely disgusting. I just dont know how I will feel when this thing is over. I might be lost and not even know who I am anymore.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hahaha ya its weird you all of a sudden have time for a life! It helped me to focus on how much better things will be when its done, rather than letting it get you down, use it for motivation to get you moving the right direction!

Anonymous
    Inactive

KSGirl86,

Don't get discouraged. I have my undergard in social work, my masters degree in taxation and I only worked an internship at a public accounting firm for 6 months. Now I work in industry and do corporate tax work. I have never done financial accounting in my life. Only took a few classes to be eligible for the exam. I have taken 3 and passed 2 (feel good about the 3rd one) exams on my first try. I have FAR left and it is very overwhelming for me but I am trying to stay positive. Speaking from experience, you need to take some time and have fun for a few hours a week or you will not be as productive. Keep your head up! You can do it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

KSGirl86,

I was very unfamilar with the exam when I started the process. Here is how I did it. First off…Use Becker. It worked for me. Follow the Becker program exactly how it is laid out. If you want to know my exact study plan, just let me know. My last 2 exams were audit(89) and financial(80). I am not saying any of the other products do not work, I just have never used them. I am sure Yeager is good. Jeff gives good advice. I am just trying to help.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.