Finally passed BEC ,thanks to forum

• Creator
    Topic
    Wannafree
    Participant

It was my 3rd attempt and did’t know what else to study ? credit goes to this forum.Got 80 this time.

WannaB
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    csvirk
    Participant

Congrats. I have passed my last BEC (Retake) with 84. Could have not been able to do it without Ninja and another71 community.

AUD - 80
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 77
    REG - 84
    Hardwork will always pay off!

FAR: 71, 77!
    AUD: 69, 80
    BEC: 72
    REG: 84

Wannafree
    Participant

Thank you csvirk and congratulations for becoming CPA.

WannaB
    RE2PECT
    Participant

Congrats Nath! I'm taking BEC for the third time on 10/3 and kind of hit a wall and not sure what else to study. Been trying to use different materials and test banks to fill in the blanks. How did you prepare for it this time?

Congrats csvirk! Can't wait to get past this beast and move on to REG and be done!

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Roger & Ninja

FAR: 75
    AUD: 73, 81
    BEC: 71, 73, 82
    REG: 68, 82

FAR: 75 Roger & Ninja (notes/flashcards/audio/MCQ)
    BEC: 71, retake 8/29
    REG:

bravesfannc
    Participant

@Re2pect, I'm in the same boat. I'm taking BEC for the 3rd time on 11/12. I scored 73 in May and August. I need something else to help get me over the 75 mark. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

AUD - 76
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 84
    REG - 81
    If you study you will pass.
    Thank you to my wonderful wife who spent many hours calling out formulas and quizzing me on notes. We did it!!

FAR - 84 - 11/14/15
    AUD - 76 - 2/6/16
    BEC - 73 - 7/13/16
    REG - TBD

Wannafree
    Participant

Hey I was on same boat and got 67 and 69 previously .Let me tell you what I did different this time.
    1.This time I did Ninja MCQ ( which I did earlier too and continued ,their MCQ is terrific ) , but focused on memo.Got BEC memo format from this forum and practiced many memos from Becker's and others on “forum memo format ” . Sounds insane but this time I was pretending that I am appearing for memo exam .LOL. You may find that format in forum , if u can't find it , let me know .
    2. I made my own notes, BEC notes which I could review in 4 hours.very condensed.This is basically Becker's compressed in 5 hours.nothing special just helped me to review in 4-5 hours whole Becker's notes.
    3.Earlier I was sticking to problems in exam which was taking more time but due to my illusion or greed that as I know this so I should solve this problem and consumed more time.This time my strategy was “say so sorry ” to those problems after 3 minutes , no matter how confident I was to solve that problem.Finally I had 50 minutes for memos ( which I was not able to to do so in my previous attempts).
    4.I attempted all three memos in skeleton form ( no meat ) ,I mean wrote 3-4 minutes one memo , gone to another spend 3-4 minutes and then 3rd memo.
    My skeleton was ready , now I was filling one paragraphs in one memo and going to another filling 1 paragraph and so on.This I was making sure that if time runs out ,still I would have 80% marks from memo.When I finished all three I still had 4 minutes left.
    Try this and I am sure you would do better then me as you can make out English is not my first language.

WannaB
    RE2PECT
    Participant

Thanks for the tips! I scored 71 and 73 and was weaker both times on the WC. I'm not sure if I'm not using enough buzzwords or if I'm just not doing proper formatting. For my retake, I followed the template that's been posted many times and felt good about 2 of the 3 questions. Maybe the FAR related one I had no clue how to answer wasn't a pretest. Did you sign your memos at the end? I noticed the Becker book doesn't do it, but Roger's book does. I also noticed in the Wiley book that they indent new paragraphs, but the other ones don't.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Roger & Ninja

FAR: 75
    BEC: 71, 73, 82
    REG: 68, 82

FAR: 75 Roger & Ninja (notes/flashcards/audio/MCQ)
    BEC: 71, retake 8/29
    REG:

Wannafree
    Participant

Yes I did sign at end .Yes key words are important.I noted some key words from questions and used those words many times in my sentences.Yes , I had three paragraphs of 5 lines in each memo.in one memo which was fav topic I had 6 lines in each para.But believe me you would pass due to WC.

WannaB
    Moeshow
    Participant

Yeah for BEC WC it's about buzzwords and format. WC is just not over thinking it and making sure you have the correct format, buzzwords and grammar. Not enough time to write something too precise. It isn't a term paper.

@NATH Exactly! On these CPA exams it's about a timing strategy. Don't spend too much time on one question, even if you'll be able to figure it out. I gave myself abut 3-4 mins before I'm like, time to move on. I'm usually anal about sitting there and trying to figure out every problem but you must think of the potential pts lost on not finishing the exam. 1 point isn't worth the possibility of 5 later down the road. It's all about having a strategy going in.

BEC - PASSED 2016
    FAR - PASSED 2016
    AUD - PASSED 2016
    REG - PASSED 2017

Roger CPA review

BEC 2/26/2016 81
    FAR 05/2016

Purely Roger CPA Review, for now!

vorobjeva44
    Participant

Hello, Nath!
    I failed BEC with 72 🙁 It was my first exam and I didnt have a time to do MCH Ninja, which I regret now. Plus I event didnt take a look at WC part while preparing despite English is my second language. I think I failed because of Memos, i didnt know the format , just did it as it was essay. Can you please share memo format that you have? Or your notes also 🙂 Thank you so much in advance!!!

AUD - 77
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 82
    REG - 81
    Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do.

Wannafree
    Participant

“Dear [insert name], (note that a salutation is only necessary if the WC is formatted as a letter instead of a memo)

Thank you for allowing me to assist with your inquiry regarding [restate the question]. When analyzing [Subject matter to be discussed], we must consider

Each topic should be its own paragraph. Begin each paragraph by giving a definition of each topic.

In conclusion, I recommend [summarize your findings above, preferably using more buzz words].

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. Should you have any more questions as you review [subject matter] in greater detail, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

[your name]

WannaB
      Wannafree
      Participant

@vorobjeva44 ,you got 72 so you are better then me .Let me insist that without WC its very difficult to pass BEC. take some memo from becker's or Wiley and just practice memo on that format. Believe me WC 10 marks is bonus.

WannaB
      vorobjeva44
      Participant

Nath, thank you so much!
      My WC were just an essay format and I shouldn't be so easy on it 🙁 Now I will prepare as it should be done before! It was great experience so now I know what to fix! Thanks a lot!

AUD - 77
      BEC - 75
      FAR - 82
      REG - 81
      Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do.

Pete E. Rino
      Participant

@bravesfannc

Here is my word of advice. Don't remember the past. Focus on passing now. Make sure you know how to write. The Writing part doesn't grade on content but on formal tone and addressing the question. You want those 15/15 points. As for studying, from my experience (only took it once beginning of this month and passed), you need to know the material more than practicing questions. Ratios especially. You don't want to mess up a ratio question. You probably seen that they aren't trying to trick you. Those calculations should be straight forward. Capitalize on your strengths and don't burn yourself out. Do not study the day before is my recommendation. Just relax the day before and be calm and energetic for the exam. Most important thing — know the concepts. MC questions might help a bit, but for my test, it was just do I know what is happening, or not. I did like 2000 questions for BEC and the test was different. BEC is knowing the concepts. I wish you luck. Get it next time so you never have to see it again!

Just note, everyone gets a different test. I was hearing people getting all IT and COSO questions. That was not the case for me luckily. And no practice questions would have helped me for IT. For IT you especially wantto try to learn the concepts. With COSO, both the material and MC questions will help.

jeff
      Keymaster

Please check out the forum rules (#4/5) if you haven't had a chance: https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/topic/cpa-exam-forum-faqs-and-help-center/

AUD - 79
      BEC - 80
      FAR - 76
      REG - 92
      Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
      NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.