Can I survive at a CPA Firm without any Bookkeeping Experience

• Creator
    Topic
    Felix The Cat
    Participant

Good Morning,

I do not have any bookkeeping experience, however I have an accounting degree and completed some quickbooks “real world” practical courses ( I understand the month end close process, performed bank recs in courses- but have never prepared it in real life) .

I did volunteer for a CPA firm for two weeks where I did some very basic NTR/Compilation engagements on Caseware a few years ago: I understand the denotation (AA,FF etc).

My question is do you think I would be able to successfully complete basic NTR/Compilation engagements without any actual bookkeeping experience? Assuming I was a small CPA firm.

This is causing me quite some anxiety, thank you for your honest advice.

Thanks and have a great day,
    FTC

Havent decided when I will be writing BEC, FAR, REG, AUD
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anthony
    Participant

It's not rocket science. As long as you get some training and ask questions you should be fine.

AUD - 82
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 81
    REG - 82
    FAR - 74 first attempt
    vbmer
    Participant

If a CPA firm hires you without any experience, they don't expect you to know anything. You'll be fine.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 89
    REG - 80
    Manager, Big 4 Corporate Finance, CPA (WA)
    AusNat
    Participant

Those things can be taught easily when you've got a good grasp of accounting principles. As long as you didn't/don't mislead them about your experience, you should be fine.

AUD - 94
    BEC - 90
    FAR - 95
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Are we there yet?

Waiting impatiently on my last score.

Felix The Cat
    Participant

Good Morning,

Thank you for your reply. I did put on my resume that I had 6 months of bookkeeping experience.

Do you still think I have a chance of surviving/thriving? I did get high marks in university in various accounting, audit, tax courses.

Cheers,

FTC

vbmer
    Participant

Well, now your question makes a lot more sense. In short, sure, you'll probably survive. You won't thrive as a CPA by lying, though.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 89
    REG - 80
    Manager, Big 4 Corporate Finance, CPA (WA)
    Lindsey_p87
    Participant

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you – but why did you put that you had 6 months of experience on your resume if you don't have that?

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

Pete
    Participant

Depends on the size of the firm and specifically what you'd be doing. I'd say you'd generally be ok in an audit role, but if you were in an area like financial services (typically involves book-keeping/tax) you might have issues. Usually, most the people I've seen at a larger firms, are extremely FAST. If you're taking too long to do basic book-keeping functions, they'll notice your hours being too high for the project. The “i'm new to doing this” excuse won't fly in that scenario like it would for audit.

I'd say a smaller firm would probably be more forgiving in this area and actual vs budgeted hours.

B=84 This exam was such a b**** that I thought I failed-don't know how these things work
    A=76 Slacker I am, I'll happily take it
    R=81 I LOVE taxes
    F=80 I don't wanna get banned for an expletive I'm thinking with "yea" proceeding it

Felix The Cat
    Participant

Depends on the size of the firm and specifically what you'd be doing. I'd say you'd generally be ok in an audit role, but if you were in an area like financial services (typically involves book-keeping/tax) you might have issues. Usually, most the people I've seen at a larger firms, are extremely FAST. If you're taking too long to do basic book-keeping functions, they'll notice your hours being too high for the project. The “i'm new to doing this” excuse won't fly in that scenario like it would for audit.

I'd say a smaller firm would probably be more forgiving in this area and actual vs budgeted hours.

This is a actually a quality reply.

Thank you Pete.

Fresh
    Participant

Bookkeeping is not a priority for a bigger CPA firm. There are people who don't know their accounting that do bookkeeping. In fact, if you have an accounting degree, you shouldn't ever be a bookkeeper. You're immediately an Accountant. I can see how a Partner could see it as a plus though! But not needed, and you could get passed up for promotion because your competition was just more social than you.

If your CPA firm is extremely small, then you might be hired to do compilations and bookkeeping, and with all due respect, I recommend getting a better job. None of the work you do would even count to the CPA Audit Experience. You aren't giving assurance for anything. You know what I'm saying?

The best recommendation I have to survive is to pass the CPA before you start your job in public accounting. Tons of bullshit goes away, then you start getting the stress you want. If you are older, or have some blemish on your life, you DEFINITELY need to pass.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 81
    REG - 77
    The Real Slim Shady
    fsugirl2005
    Participant

Deleted as I just realized this thread is super old.

REG - 78
    FAR - 79
    AUD - 76
    BEC - 75

I have been on this journey off and on for over 10 years. I think it's about time that I wrap this up.

AUD - 10/21/16 (75----07/2010 expired)
    FAR - 10/28/16
    BEC - 11/2016
    REG - 01/2017

Using Gleim CPA Review, Ninja Audio, Ninja Book

ellabella
    Participant

I have seen other people who have basic accounting knowledge get into the accounting firm fold and thrive. My recommendation is to get CPA accreditation (check with your state if your accounting undergrad is enough). Using a good review program is essential for passing (I use UWorld Roger), plus it gives you confidence. Getting that accreditation will really boost your prospects and give you confidence to succeed in the accounting firm.

Ella

Mom of Two, studying for the CPA Exam

AGI
    Participant

In my personal opinion – Experience is never the key, more like a mixture of luck, personality and connections.

Everyone start off somewhere without experience. I got accepted to my first pay job because I had a pocket book app in my phone that shows I keep track of my finance. I got another job because by chance my boss trust the quality of my school. He literally said everyone in my school have solid accounting knowledge and knows exactly what to do.

Surviving has nothing to do with skill. Connections, personality, and ability to get sales will be the KEY, plus good co-workers.

NY - CPA

New York - NYC
    Passed CPA Exam (11/2014)
    In search for a position in NYC that will fulfills the license requirement.

Fresh
    Participant

@JFKGY 100% FACT!

AUD - 75
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 81
    REG - 77
    The Real Slim Shady
    AGI
    Participant

@Fresh

Office are political. Drinking every night. Holiday gifts. Trying to beg your senior for cases (and clients). Protecting your case from being stolen by your coworker. Year end review.

I got an interview opportunity randomly because I was complaining to whoever that was sitting next to me on the train when we are stuck in the tunnel. Turned out to be a banker and he give me a card and told me his bank is looking for hiring. (Even CEOs take subway to Wall Street. There's just no parking.)

NY - CPA

New York - NYC
    Passed CPA Exam (11/2014)
    In search for a position in NYC that will fulfills the license requirement.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.