Experience Pending

• Creator
    Topic
    Key522
    Participant

I passed the CPA exam almost 4 years ago but I have not worked under a CPA for a year for the experience requirement. How do I put that on my resume? CPA (experience pending)? CPA Candidate?

AUD - 85
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    BEC - Feb 2015 68 April 2015 84

FAR - July 2015 77

AUD - Oct 2015 74 Feb 2016 71 April 2016 85

REG - Jan 2016 67 July 2016 74 Oct 2016 80

BEC Feb 2015 68 - rematch Apr 2015 - 84
    FAR July 2015 77
    AUD Oct 2015 74 Feb 2016 71 April 2016 85
    REG Jan 2016 67 July 2016

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    monikernc
    Participant

Do you have a year of accounting experience that an actively licensed CPA could attest to? If so there are states that will license you. I just did that and was approved by Montana for my initial license then by Colorado, where I live and work, through reciprocity. I can finally work as a CPA in the state where I live.

Until you are licensed all you can do is list your successful completion of exams and license is pending experience.

Some states, NC is one, will license you with 4 years of accounting experience – I don’t know what documentation is required. It is on the NC Board website.

Check it out!

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

madhav

Hi I got my license after NASBA verified my experience through their contracted CPA. It cost $500 if you do not work under CPA to review your experience. It is easy process but you do need accounting experience(see state requirement).

Key522
    Participant

I’m located in NJ. NJ is not listed as a state they will do the review for. Did you get licensed in your state?

AUD - 85
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    BEC - Feb 2015 68 April 2015 84

FAR - July 2015 77

AUD - Oct 2015 74 Feb 2016 71 April 2016 85

REG - Jan 2016 67 July 2016 74 Oct 2016 80

BEC Feb 2015 68 - rematch Apr 2015 - 84
    FAR July 2015 77
    AUD Oct 2015 74 Feb 2016 71 April 2016 85
    REG Jan 2016 67 July 2016

Parthamis
    Participant

I was in a similar situation over a year ago; Passed all the parts for 2 years, and looking for a job without the experience to fufill the requirements.

You should have a line at the bottom of your education portion of your resume, here's what I had:
    Passed all CPA Exams in 2017: BEC (2/07), REG (3/21), FAR (9/19), and AUD (12/19); License pending

This puts emphasis on the fact you passed the exams, which is the hardest part of the procedure. Most firms that sees this will welcome you with open arms, and once you complete a year at the next firm, then apply for the license.

Parthamis Prime

AUD - 73, 75... and done.

FAR - 80 (UNBELIEVABLE)

BEC - 78

REG - 81

Pete
    Participant

I’ve found firms don’t care about having the cpa exams passed that much. They would much rather have you be available for on-campus interviews/hire from their intern pool. I’ve found it incredibly difficult, just to get the firms to send a response rejecting me. I’ve networked hard for a long time to no avail.

B=84 This exam was such a b**** that I thought I failed-don't know how these things work
    A=76 Slacker I am, I'll happily take it
    R=81 I LOVE taxes
    F=80 I don't wanna get banned for an expletive I'm thinking with "yea" proceeding it

monikernc
    Participant

Get licensed in another state with experience verified by a licensed CPA then apply to NJ through reciprocity. Read the NJ regs and statutes to see how it is done.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!

AGI
    Participant

To be honest, in NJ and NY, they don't care much if you only passed the exam. I've passed the exam closed to 8 years from now, and still searching for an employer willing to take me. Employers understand that they pay you regular price because you don't have a license, and once you do they will need to promote you or pay you premium. With so much competition right now, a lot of employer will rather just take a regular employee who is not interested in license at all (there's plenty in the market). Same price no long-term problem.

With the big firms, it's even worst. I have had at least 8 interviews with big 4s and CPA firms after I graduate. No body wants to take me. I have solid accounting experience and have been working in full time, in a big private company. They don't value it unless you are also in public accounting. Since the pay in CPA firms and public accounting isn't any higher than my existing ones, I just stay with where I am now and hope for a management position.

I told myself when I get to management I will hire a CPA to sign myself off!

NY - CPA

New York - NYC
    Passed CPA Exam (11/2014)
    In search for a position in NYC that will fulfills the license requirement.

fsugirl2005
    Participant

@JFKGY

How would you describe your personality? I just find it so odd that you had that many interviews and not one person was interested in you. When it comes down to it, if the interviewers don't click with you, they won't hire you…experienced/licensed or not.

REG - 78
    FAR - 79
    AUD - 76
    BEC - 75

I have been on this journey off and on for over 10 years. I think it's about time that I wrap this up.

AUD - 10/21/16 (75----07/2010 expired)
    FAR - 10/28/16
    BEC - 11/2016
    REG - 01/2017

Using Gleim CPA Review, Ninja Audio, Ninja Book

AGI
    Participant

@fsugirl2005

It would be my personality, or maybe I was asking for too much in the job. Most of my interviews with the big firms were from college career fair, because only through career fair are you CPA-exempted. Almost if not all Big 4 posting preferred CPA equivalent in NYC.

Anyhow, since I was already working full time, I was hoping for a competitive salary and benefit package in my job. I do need to feed a family. I don't think I was asking for a lot, a $60k salary and benefit package (sick leave, annual leave, pension, health insurance, etc.) I guess they aren't happy for it. I don't think it was my personality, other than the fact that I don't like to party.

I think the Big 4 prefer fresh college graduate that year, with no experience and can be work / shape as needed. They don't like you having so much opinions. The salary offer was also low that year. A bunch of my friends got the offer but was only offering $55-65K when working over 40+ hours. Over the years, salary just get worst. You don't even get paid when working as interns.

NY - CPA

New York - NYC

Pete
    Participant

The above poster is absolutely correct. It’s nearly impossible to get into public accounting, unless you have the on campus recruiting. He’s doing better than I am because I can’t even get interviews despite passing the CPA/CFE. I’ve been sitting on this piece of paper for years as well. They discriminate heavily against non-interns/campus recruitees. It’s Almost as if they consider it a plague on your resume to not be hired while on campus. I even did an internship At a National firm to try getting my foot in. They ended up going with the partners/manager’s sons for full-time. Go figure. Now I’m essentially acting as an accounting manager, making under 50k/year, working 50-60 hours per week. Most places won’t even look at me because I don’t have the public accounting/CPA background. To the above poster, I absolutely feel your pain in this area. Hell, I’m barely able to get entry level accounting interviews. I recently had a 4 round interview, only to get rejected for an industry job.

B=84 This exam was such a b**** that I thought I failed-don't know how these things work
    A=76 Slacker I am, I'll happily take it
    R=81 I LOVE taxes
    F=80 I don't wanna get banned for an expletive I'm thinking with "yea" proceeding it

fsugirl2005
    Participant

@JFKGY

Ah, understood. I think you can get $60K at a regional firm. Did you check those out?

REG - 78
    FAR - 79
    AUD - 76
    BEC - 75

I have been on this journey off and on for over 10 years. I think it's about time that I wrap this up.

AUD - 10/21/16 (75----07/2010 expired)
    FAR - 10/28/16
    BEC - 11/2016
    REG - 01/2017

Using Gleim CPA Review, Ninja Audio, Ninja Book

4EverInDebt
    Participant

I'm in this same boat and it's so frustrating. It was hard enough for me to pass those damn exams (I repeated 3 of them) and all I need is the damn experience. I only have experience in AR/AP with like 6 months exposure to tax prep (basic tax prep) using quickbooks and doing mostly the tedious work like bank recs, a few journal entries, filling out tax docs, etc and now this pandemic. Not to mention that I've been out of work for 4 years. From studying for the CPA exams to taking care of personal issues, etc and now a year into my masters I still can't find a job to work under a CPA. I passed my last CPA exam in June 2019. So the clock is ticking…
    I've been to a couple of interviews. I've been told that I'm likable that they like me etc….but of course no luck yet. It's probably the fact that I've been out of work for 4 years but hey shit happens, everyone has their life problems. I guess I just have to keep looking and hopefully one day I'll land a job working either for a small CPA firm or a bigger one.

I know I can get a job working in A/R, AP, bookkeeping, but this damn requirement is making it so complicated that I refuse to start working in those areas. I even had to turn down a job offer (before COVID) in AR because I was made to belief by the employment agency that it was an accounting position…yeah sure that's what they always call it.

Good luck to everyone on their journey to become a CPA!

AUD - 76
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 78
    REG - 76
    4EverInDebt
    AGI
    Participant

I have considered that option, but it looks like NYC is over-competitive and might have too much accountants hanging around (CPA and non-CPA). I have been referred to several CPA firms through connections and other accountants, most of them offer somewhere $40-50 K. I think most firms knew that you are basically here for your license and try to offer a much lower salary. They basically want a few labor to trade off the licensing. Even after licensing, they will not offer you a bigger salary. The truth is, they don't have enough sales to paid for an extra CPA, unless you somehow can bring them extra sales.

I am seeing more and more of my friends not pursuing the CPA license, or into other positions outside of accounting. The truth is, the cost to maintain the license is costly, and unless you are in auditing / tax / public, there's not much use. More companies are exporting their services to CPA firms, and a 50 people CPA firms need maybe only 2 CPA to run the game (with 40 unpaid interns – free).

NY - CPA

New York - NYC

AGI
    Participant

@4EverInDebt

Consider transfer over to a state that doesn't have a time requirement. The score in NYS never expired. In addition, due to COVID, many online position is available. Try to get an online freelance / volunteer / part-time position that have a CPA hanging around. It doesn't need to be in the same state as you are currently in.

When I did my job hunting, I used LinkedIn a lot to search if the firm has a CPA (for non-accounting firms). This way, I applied as a regular accountant and doesn't look like “I'm here for the license”.

If you are not very picky, and willing to land on companies outside of CPA firms, you should be able to land on something.

NY - CPA

New York - NYC

monikernc
    Participant

@4EverInDebt Hook up with your state's CPA Society and start networking or request a mentor you can talk to about this. Many states do not expire scores but many do require that the experience requirements be met within a certain period of time. I struggled with the experience requirement too and just this year finally met the requirements for Montana. I was originally a NC candidate but could not get a year of experience supervised by a CPA. Once Montana licensed me I was able to get licensed by CO where I live and work but whose education and experience requirements I could not meet for an initial license. So it is possible. Attending CPA Society functions and getting a mentor to help with my resume were very helpful. I don't know why you don't consider A/R and A/P jobs accounting experience, most states accept industry experience and these would count in the states I am licensed in. Don't give up, it took me 4 years after passing the exams and 7 years from the time I went back to school for the education requirements but within months I am now licensed in two states. Good luck!

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.