Is an A/P job good experience?

• Creator
    Topic
    sileemo
    Participant

I’m getting my masters in tax and trying to get into Big 4. I currently have an accounts payable job and I wasn’t sure if this type of experience is good enough. I’ve always had the mindset that internships are better, but looking at the job descriptions, it seems like I wouldn’t learn much since they seem to be for undergrads. Or does it even make a difference?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    titine
    Participant

IMHO, you wouldn't learn much from AP position. Since you want to get into public accounting, I think an internship with the public firm will help you more.

titine
    Participant

IMHO, you wouldn't learn much from AP position. Since you want to get into public accounting, I think an internship with the public firm will help you more.

JY

Sileemo, you are right about internship experience being better. I don't know what experience you have previously, but aside from experience, I'd rather have an A/P job than not having a job. You can always look for an internship job while you have a job. Also, depends on the industry the A/P job is in, if it is at a publicly traded company in the industry that the big 4 are hiring for, the experience might be worthwhile.

REG: 86 8/3/13
    BEC: 85 8/31/13
    FAR: 87 10/27/13
    AUD: 90 11/30/13

JY

Sileemo, you are right about internship experience being better. I don't know what experience you have previously, but aside from experience, I'd rather have an A/P job than not having a job. You can always look for an internship job while you have a job. Also, depends on the industry the A/P job is in, if it is at a publicly traded company in the industry that the big 4 are hiring for, the experience might be worthwhile.

REG: 86 8/3/13
    BEC: 85 8/31/13
    FAR: 87 10/27/13
    AUD: 90 11/30/13

Texas CPA
    Participant

I did both while working on my masters and I picked up bookkeeping jobs on the side. I think an internship would be better. I ended up going the IT route for awhile so I did not utilize my intern experience from E&Y which might tell you how long ago that was.

Reg - Passed 82 Nov 2012 - Becker
    Aud - Passed 86 May 2013 - Becker
    BEC - Passed 88 Aug 2013 - Becker
    FAR - Passed 88 Nov 2013 - Becker

https://www.becker.com/cpa-review

Texas CPA

Texas CPA
    Participant

I did both while working on my masters and I picked up bookkeeping jobs on the side. I think an internship would be better. I ended up going the IT route for awhile so I did not utilize my intern experience from E&Y which might tell you how long ago that was.

Reg - Passed 82 Nov 2012 - Becker
    Aud - Passed 86 May 2013 - Becker
    BEC - Passed 88 Aug 2013 - Becker
    FAR - Passed 88 Nov 2013 - Becker

https://www.becker.com/cpa-review

Texas CPA

acamp
    Participant

Getting an internship at a Big4 is a very similar process to getting hired, they go through multi-round interviews, etc. During the internship pay is very competitive and at the end, provided they haven't found a way to screw up, they get offers. If you're still in school, it seems like internships are easier to come by.

Self proclaimed: Highest ratio of Replies to Others v. Posts Created on A71

California CPA - Big4 Aud Manager Alum - Private Accounting at Startups

FAR, REG and BEC with Ninja Notes + WTB Only

Ninja + Wiley Test Bank: [FAR - 81] [REG - 76] [BEC - 88] [AUD - 73](doh!)

Becker Videos: [AUD - 82]

California CPA

acamp
    Participant

Getting an internship at a Big4 is a very similar process to getting hired, they go through multi-round interviews, etc. During the internship pay is very competitive and at the end, provided they haven't found a way to screw up, they get offers. If you're still in school, it seems like internships are easier to come by.

Self proclaimed: Highest ratio of Replies to Others v. Posts Created on A71

California CPA - Big4 Aud Manager Alum - Private Accounting at Startups

FAR, REG and BEC with Ninja Notes + WTB Only

Ninja + Wiley Test Bank: [FAR - 81] [REG - 76] [BEC - 88] [AUD - 73](doh!)

Becker Videos: [AUD - 82]

California CPA

StephAV

I was an A/P clerk in college. I didn't learn much it was checking the coding, data entry, filing… I'd say it is better than no related work experience though. I would work hard to land a job before you graduate grad school and ditch the AP job. The AP person at my office has an accounting degree. She actually graduated at the same time I did, but she didn't go into public accounting, she took a temp AP job and now it seems she'll be stuck in that position. You get a much better big picture overview in public accounting which is what you need to move up the latter, usually.

FAR - 7/13 - 72, 11/13- 74, 2/14- 82!!! Best score ever (for me)!!!
    BEC - 1/14 - 75!!! Perfect score! First Pass! YAY!!!
    AUD - 8/14 - 80!!!
    REG - 5/14 - 72, 10/14 - 66, 1/15 - 78 - DONE FOREVER!!!
    I did 5 of the UNA and CPAExcel classes to earn units.

StephAV

I was an A/P clerk in college. I didn't learn much it was checking the coding, data entry, filing… I'd say it is better than no related work experience though. I would work hard to land a job before you graduate grad school and ditch the AP job. The AP person at my office has an accounting degree. She actually graduated at the same time I did, but she didn't go into public accounting, she took a temp AP job and now it seems she'll be stuck in that position. You get a much better big picture overview in public accounting which is what you need to move up the latter, usually.

FAR - 7/13 - 72, 11/13- 74, 2/14- 82!!! Best score ever (for me)!!!
    BEC - 1/14 - 75!!! Perfect score! First Pass! YAY!!!
    AUD - 8/14 - 80!!!
    REG - 5/14 - 72, 10/14 - 66, 1/15 - 78 - DONE FOREVER!!!
    I did 5 of the UNA and CPAExcel classes to earn units.

Safe
    Participant

I am also just finishing my first year as an accounting clerk, though im not enrolled in an accounting program yet and my BA was in economics. It IS a very comfortable (though kinda dangerous) spot to be in as I am deciding on where to go next in order to flesh out a pathway towards CPA. Personally, the only thing keeping me awake and tuned in there is my appetite for taking on more and more new tasks – I was hired as a Clerk with only a small private business internship the summer before, but i was confident i could do the job successfully and learn valuable insights for the future, and i suppose my boss/hiring manager believed in my work ethic and pedigree…But I too find myself taking on new tasks regularly w/ the expectation of gaining solid(ish) accounting experience to add to my professional toolkit…Long story short, what would be a logical next step to go from here to having a CPA? Any commentary is welcome, I know I have plenty more research ahead of me but it is encouraging hearing others' journeys and perspectives 🙂

Pork Flavored Bacon
    Participant

What is your function as an accounting clerk? You're not an accountant but you're a clerk? I have never heard of that position before. It sounds like a hybrid data-entry/admin position.
    The first step you will have to take, if you're going to pursue the CPA career path, is to start taking the appropriate classes. Without them, you will never be able to sit for the exam.
    In the meantime, you might even look around and see if you can get an internship somewhere to get some exposure to public accounting.

FAR - 75 | REG - 87 | AUD - 82 | LAW - 81

TommyL
    Participant

An Big 4 internship is way more valuable than an AP position. It's pretty common for the firm to hire interns after the internship ends, and once you gain 1-2 years working experience, you can jump straight to any Senior position in a corporate company and make way more $$$.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 78
    REG - 86
    Goals
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.