Leave a Perm position for a contract?

• Creator
    Topic
    Chloe
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I’ve been thinking there will be no worries after passing my CPA but there are more and more worries for jobs after. I’ve been working at a public practice for over 4 years which is a mid size firm with 4,500 employees across the country. I know it is a bad timing for leaving the firm for a temp job (6 months); however, I have nothing to learn in the current position and no future. My partner keeps on manipulating me as you will be a manager next year since you just got your CPA blabla but guess what nothing happened afterwards. I am tired of being treated this way. They don’t give me challenging work like provisions. During my performance review, the management tried to find out my mistakes which are like “oh you need to improve Nexus/PE researches and don’t worry. you will be a manager next year.”

Last month, a recruiter reached out to me for a position that was supposed to be a perm but the company does not know if they have enough work after 6 months and the management hasn’t approved a budget to hire a perm employee so it becomes a temp job. There were 3 interviews for this 6 months contract which is unusual.

It is a mining company and people who are working there are super experienced with 20 years plus tax experience. They don’t normally hire a rookie like me so I am thinking that it’s good to deep my foot inside of the industry and get to know people to get some references in the future if they don’t hire me after my contract. They said they might have a better picture if they want to hire me as a perm position or not after 6 months contract due to Covid-19 and so on but I wouldn’t rely on the words because I have to get ready to find something after the contract. However, I am not sure how Covid-19 is going to be after 6 months and I am scared of being unemployed for a while. Of course, I can collect unemployment insurances but I don’t want to have a big gap on my resume. The job is really interesting and they pay me $25k more than my current job.

Could you please give me any advice:

AUD - 81

BEC - 76

FAR - 75 (expired), 76

REG - 77

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Recked
    Participant

Given the state of the economy, and accounting specifically, with all the layoffs that have been going on.
    I might be inclined to stick with the steady work. Try and get the manager offer in writing, or a specific written path for you to make manager, with goals and milestones for you to reach to help achieve the position.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

thunderlips
    Participant

i dont think going to a temp job is a good idea given current state of economy, what happens after those 6 months is up?

Chloe
    Participant

Thanks for your opinion! They said it can be a perm position after the contract but I shouldn't rely on that right? I mean it is always two possibilities: no perm contract or perm contact.
    My firm announced that we should all work 4 days a week from July to Sep. I can't even predict I will still have job after September. We are really low and many clients don't engage with our services this year. Moreover, they really don't treat me well. I've been played many many times. I have a kid and my management keeps on saying things behind of back like, don't have a kid, she screwed up her career after having one.
    It's just to toxic here. I am losing my self confidence…. I don't want to be sr. staff another year. It will be weird if I stay in the same company with the same title over 5 years. However, a contract is huge risk and I've never taken any contract work in my life.

AUD - 81

BEC - 76

FAR - 75 (expired), 76

REG - 77

Recked
    Participant

Keep searching.
    No point in jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
    The contract might work out with you getting a full time gig, but if they haven't approved the funding for that position, I see no point in trying to take that route.
    Just keep working hard, and looking for other opportunities.
    You can use -no room for growth- as your primary reason to interview with other firms.

Skynet
    Participant

I would listen to everyone's advice on not leaving with the state of the economy and the pandemic.

I knew a guy that was a CPA who left for another state to be with his parents. He took a contract job for the tax season but was laid off before his contract ended and this was a B4 firm.

Right now if you have something steady, stick with it until things are safe and normal again.

AUD - 90
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 84
    REG - 87
    World Domination Plan

Phase I : Pass CPA Exams - Complete
    Phase II : Megan Fox - In Progress
    Phase III : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase IV : Form the new Charlie's Angels with Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson, & Gal Gadot
    Phase V : TBD

BEC : 78
    REG : 87
    FAR : 84
    AUD : 90

World Domination Plan

Phase I : Pass CPA Exams - Complete
    Phase II : Megan Fox - Initiated
    Phase III : Bring back 8-Tracks
    Phase IV : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase V : TBA

Tiff

I guess I see things differently…I'd say “jump.” Take a leap of faith. I'd say you're already losing where you are, especially if the environment is toxic, management continues to lie to you and you're going nowhere fast. Heck, you're an accountant. IDC what the state of the economy is…everybody still needs an accountant!
    And while you're on contract, continue to actively look for something else…just in case! But it sounds like you're unappreciated where you are, you may go to the new place and they consider you invaluable and will do anything to keep you! Learn something new…Go for it!
    But hey…what do I know!

monikernc
    Participant

It is different with a child. Hang in, keep looking and move when you know it is right. If you are asking us, something is clearly wrong, right?!!

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

Recked
    Participant

I feel like the advise you get from the older crowd is going to be much different than the younger crowd on this forum. I'd stick with the advice from older more experienced people, who have lived through these struggles, etc. But of course I am biased.
    Priority #1 is keeping the income coming in to have a roof over your head and food on the table, especially with a kid.

Chloe
    Participant

Thank you everybody. I've read all the comments with my husband last night and we will make a decision by early next week. My husband got laid off in March. He worked at a hotel; of course, no more job in a tourism industry with the state of the economy now. We live in Canada so thankfully, he is collecting emergency funds from the government which is $2,000. My husband is encouraging me to take the temp job since he's been seeing me that i am suffering from my current job and he said that we can live with unemployment insurance after my contract since the contract work pays me 25k more than my current job.
    However, i am more worried about having a gap on my resume.

Again, thank you for all your comments.

AUD - 81

BEC - 76

FAR - 75 (expired), 76

REG - 77

Anthony
    Participant

I wouldn't even consider it without seriously searching around first and to see what is out in the market.

AUD - 82
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 81
    REG - 82
    FAR - 74 first attempt
    krstnam
    Participant

I’m old and I say cut ties with the current organization. I’m guessing you’re female, and unfortunately, the game is a little different for us in the job market. If they are already blowing smoke up your ass, why stay? Even with the economy the way it is, who is to say that your job there is secure anyway?

If you leave at the very least you’ll get some experience to add to your resume, even if you have a gap in employment, you have a pandemic to blame it on.

I see things from different lenses though….I’ve been “screwed over” with my job for years. I wish I would have cut ties sooner. All of my performance reviews were excellent, I was told I’m a great worker and I’m appreciated, no disciplinary action, etc and it didn’t get me anything but a stagnant career and discouragement.

Anyway, best of luck to you! Whatever you chose I’m sure it’ll be the right one for you!

I'm going to be the person who says "I finished even though..." not the person who says "I didn't finish because..."

B - 77, 76

A - 57, 64, 72, 76!

R - 78, 72, 78!!! DONE

F - 54, 73, 71, 64, 69, 76!

Chloe

Hey @krstnam

Thank you so much for your sincere advice. I am so touched. Yes, I actually see this thing in different angles and made my decision. I will take the temp position.

As you said, if I have a gap on my resume, i will blame it on Covid.
    I should deserve better! I am tired of hearing I am screwed my career because of my daughter. She is blessing to me. She is not a burden for my career. Work is work. Nothing more than that. I want to work with people with warm hearts and even if my future bosses are asses, it’s only for 6 months so I don’t care.

Thank you so much again. Wish you the best for you as well. Hope you and your family stay safe.

Chloe

RobOh

@Chloe, I am what this crowd would consider “old” and I applaud you for making your decision. While it is not what many would call safe, it sounds like you weighed all your options and have the support of your husband. Everyone's situation is different and it sounds like you took everyone's input here to heart and made a decision that you and your family are comfortable with. This forum has for years been so supportive and what makes it so great to come to for support. Now that you have made your decision, go in there and Wow them by taking on this challenge and show what a great asset you are to this firm.

This is probably one of those moments in your life that you will always remember. I've made some good and bad decisions when I look back on my career but I always had my wife's support. I'm so glad you have your husband's support. The hardest decision I had to make was when I was in a good position at a money management firm with good pay but I hated what I was doing. I went out and got my MBA and I had to make a decision whether or not to change my career and accept a position at a Big Four with much less pay. My wife knew how miserable I was and she was so understanding and encouraged me to go with the Big Four because she knew in my heart I needed a career change. Everyone around me thought I was crazy but I joined the Big Four, got my experience, and got my CPA and went into industry with higher pay and I am so much happier and have no regrets.

Good luck at your contract position and show them what you are made of. No matter what happens with this position, think of this as you wanting to improve your career, new responsibilities, learning possibilities, and challenging work. I would personally use those as reasons where someone would look at you as someone that takes charge of her own career and not blame it on others. Keep in mind, you should keep good connections with the people at your current position, as it is always good to not burn bridges and it is always great to have a network that you will sure use at some time in your future.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.