New job – no idea what I am doing

• Creator
    Topic
    Pakpak
    Participant

I started a new job at a top regional firm last week. My first few days consisted of onboarding but the latter half of that week I was given work and it was hell. I was coming home at 10 PM working 12 hour day. No real training of processes, programs, or software. They just said ask if you have questions.

Little background about myself. I have 3 yrs of experience in tax. All of it with individual tax returns. I may have embellished a little on my resume and during the interview that I know a some corporate tax. In reality, I did one S Corp 2 years ago and had no idea what I was doing. But I feel like I needed to embellish during the interview to have the opportunity to learn how to do corporate acct&tax.

At first they were giving me individual tax returns, and I was able to do them (even if it took 2-3×s the billable budget – I’m thinking this will speed up over time). But end of last week they gave me a list of complex c corps to work on. I’m thinking, okay, I’ll look at the prior year over the weekend and figure it out. Weekend comes and I can’t find last year’s workpapers or documents in their damn software. I still don’t know how to navigate.

I am so lost, confused and don’t know where to start. Even had a few sleepless nights last week. Now I have to do these Corp returns that I have no idea how to do on top of not knowing their software, programs, or processes. I feel like I am going to be sitting at my desk for 12 hours not getting anything done tomorrow. I am stressed and panicking hard.

I am thinking of speaking with my manager about these concerns by Tuesday. If no real solutions can be made then it’s goodbye. I want to succeed but don’t know where to start. It’s recruiting season so I can most likely find another job maybe at a smaller firm that provides training. Worst comes to worst HR block. My problem is I really need to learn accounting and tax for partnerships, s & c corps. I can only do so many w-2s. I want to grow and enhance my skills.

How should I go about bringing up these concerns to my manager?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Ro
    Participant

I would definitely ask for help. You're wasting too much time trying to figure it out on your own. Ask if there is any training available on the software that the company uses or any notes that will help you navigate.

AUD - 75
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 78
    REG - 76
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
    Lindsey_p87
    Participant

Agree with Ro – ask for help. They may assume that you have knowledge of corp tax based on what you told them, but they can't expect to not train you on the company's software and procedures. Ask your manager if you can set up a time with someone for an overview of the software. It sounds like they just kind of left you to fend for yourself, so you're going to have to take the initiative to bring up any questions you have. I'm sure that they would rather you ask the questions than sit there for hours spinning your wheels.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

PC
    Participant

Talk with your manager and start with the basics. PY workpapers are a must-have. System software training should really be a must-have too. Save the career trajectory concerns for after you can stand on your own 2 feet there.

It may be a good idea to have a quick sit-down with the manager and figure out your respective working styles. You're obviously going to have questions. And in an ideal world, your manager is actively checking in with you to ensure it isn't spin-wheel city on your end. In reality, too many managers are good at “doing” and bad at teaching/coaching. Ask how they want questions posed to them throughout the day (tell me right away vs accumulate questions before speaking up).

Obviously this is just one person's opinion. I've worked for around 40 different managers across big 4 and hedge fund administration – seen way too much talent walk out the door due to inept people-management. Ask around a bit – how did other folks figure this out? Give them a chance to invest in you but be realistic if it's the sort of place that is “sink or swim on your own.”

There is no education like adversity.

BEC – 85 (10/1/18)

AUD – 91 (12/10/18)

FAR – 92 (5/13/19)

REG – 87 (9/9/19)

Adam
    Participant

You get what you deserve for lying, bite the bullet and ask for help to someone that might no what they're doing, you've done one corporate tax return in your career and lied in order to take someones else's opportunity at a top regional firm as opposed to paying dues and working your way up…lol youre a POS in my opinion..You will likely be fired shortly once they figure this out.

Lindsey_p87
    Participant

Dude.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

say
    Participant

Listen, there is no honor in suffering. Ask for help. The beginning of a job is always challenging because you're going through a learning curve, getting acquainted with the work culture, and familiarizing yourself with their systems. I think you're panicking because maybe you feel that you exaggerating about the Corp tax experience is biting you back. I will tell you as someone who saw this in her career with new hires. I didn't expect them to master the work at all, but I wanted to see them try, be resourceful, and ask for help. You can't even look at prior year because you are afraid to ask for help with using the system. You're just setting yourself up for failure. Make sure when you do ask for help you know exactly what you are going to ask.

Biff Tannen
    Participant

Welcome public accounting. It’s called sink or swim. Just remember to ask lots of questions (even stupid questions are okay). Try to leverage prior year work papers as much as you can, but try to make them better as you go. Play the politics game right.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 79
    REG - 85
    “An investment in knowledge pays the best dividends” - Benjamin Franklin
    Tommy
    Participant

I don't know ONE person that hasn't made their experience sound more colorful than what it really is. It's about survival out here so Congrats on the new Job @Pakpak! Now go ask someone for help.

And don't listen to @Adam. He's an idiot. YEA I SAID IT! Come see me in Atlanta GA if you wanna make something of it.

With love 🙂

Licensed in IL & GA
    hamcpa2018
    Participant

I have 20+ years experience at a small accounting firm, 4 people small. I worked my behind off to get to where I am today. I understand where @Adam is coming from. I perhaps may have been less abrasive but the over all point @adam made was dead on. Perhaps you thought you could learn in the next three months and be proficient enough at the start of busy season and just did not think that the firm would have you participate in the corporate deadline, now 14 days away. See the manager, fess up and be more careful moving forward. Also, small firms are where you get the love and attention you need to grow and be proficient. You may not make the big bucks initially, but with hard work and time, you will get there. You're not a POS, you just made a tactical error. Live and learn.

Ever been so frustrated you skipped anger and went straight to laughing like a lunatic...........
    Nate
    Participant

Hamcpa2018 is dead on, Adam, while has a point, was just being a jerk for no reason. It's best to acknowledge your own mistake which was fibbing on your resume. However you're not the first to do that and you certainly won't be the last. We all do what it takes to get a job. I bet even Adam embellishes during interviews, who doesn't? You act all confident and like you care so much about the company and it's your top choice when most of the time you just want a job or a better job than you currently have. But lying on your resume about experience is taking a little far, not because you're being a POS or taking someone else's job, but because you're putting yourself in a bad situation. Definitely talk to your manager, maybe don't say you lied on your resume, but mentioned you're confused. Better that than them noticing your taking way too long to prepare returns with way too many mistakes.

AUD: 54 (10/31/15); 83 (12/02/17)
    BEC: 70 (01/31/16); 90 (07/02/17)
    FAR: 73 (10/03/15); 88 (02/17/18)
    REG: 83 (06/09/18)
    AICPA Ethics: 91 (06/28/18)
    Licensed: 08/16/18
    say
    Participant

I really do think people are going in on you for embellishing a little too hard. You're working for a larger firm that has resources. If it was a mom and pop shop, you're entire team would definitely feel your short comings. You have to do, what you have to do to go out and get what you want in this world. It is a cut throat environment. You're not stealing or hurting anyone… you are hurting yourself with how you're handling this situation. You have 13 days until the deadline and you need to ask questions to get the tasks done. If you're sitting at your desks panicking wasting hours and getting no where, you're going to not only hurt yourself, but you're going to hurt the team. Don't say anything about you exaggerating on your experience. After all, no one assignment is identical to the other everything has a unique challenge. Make sure you gather all the questions and ask them at once versus going to their office multiple times. Lastly, the attitude of – if I can't get it by such and such date I am quitting is a God awful attitude to have. You won't make it in the next place either. Life is hard you need to get used to that fact.

PC
    Participant

There's nothing here to “own up” to.

You claimed to have “some” corporate experience – and technically that is true. You didn't claim to be a subject matter expert, and the interviewer never expressed that you needed to be one. If they wanted to confirm your technical expertise, they would have asked technical questions. I've been asked verbatim in an interview to explain Credit Default Swap accounting. If technical expertise in a certain area is so critical to the position being filled, it's the interviewer's responsibility to confirm the candidate has that expertise. And not by asking one measly yes/no question.

You can certainly explain that maybe you “haven't seen one like this before” or something along those lines, but there's no need to apologize or act like you've done anything wrong. It'll just eat up time that could have been spent learning what you don't know.

There is no education like adversity.

BEC – 85 (10/1/18)

AUD – 91 (12/10/18)

FAR – 92 (5/13/19)

REG – 87 (9/9/19)

hamcpa2018
    Participant

Oh, PC…there are so many problems with your post, lol….well off to study!

Ever been so frustrated you skipped anger and went straight to laughing like a lunatic...........
    Pork Flavored Bacon
    Participant

Adam got pissed at me for calling a guy out for bullshitting in interviews and here he is calling OP a POS for doing the same. How ironic. But he's a Senior CPA in Chicago making 80k with four years of experience so he can say whatever he wants.
    Good luck, Pakpak. Hope things work out for you.

FAR - 75 | REG - 87 | AUD - 82 | LAW - 81

Let's not ignore the fact that Adam is 33 years old and only making 80k.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 77
    REG - 76
    Licensed in VA
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.