New job – no idea what I am doing - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    Pakpak
    Participant

I started a new job at a top regional firm last week. My first few days consisted of onboarding but the latter half of that week I was given work and it was hell. I was coming home at 10 PM working 12 hour day. No real training of processes, programs, or software. They just said ask if you have questions.

Little background about myself. I have 3 yrs of experience in tax. All of it with individual tax returns. I may have embellished a little on my resume and during the interview that I know a some corporate tax. In reality, I did one S Corp 2 years ago and had no idea what I was doing. But I feel like I needed to embellish during the interview to have the opportunity to learn how to do corporate acct&tax.

At first they were giving me individual tax returns, and I was able to do them (even if it took 2-3×s the billable budget – I’m thinking this will speed up over time). But end of last week they gave me a list of complex c corps to work on. I’m thinking, okay, I’ll look at the prior year over the weekend and figure it out. Weekend comes and I can’t find last year’s workpapers or documents in their damn software. I still don’t know how to navigate.

I am so lost, confused and don’t know where to start. Even had a few sleepless nights last week. Now I have to do these Corp returns that I have no idea how to do on top of not knowing their software, programs, or processes. I feel like I am going to be sitting at my desk for 12 hours not getting anything done tomorrow. I am stressed and panicking hard.

I am thinking of speaking with my manager about these concerns by Tuesday. If no real solutions can be made then it’s goodbye. I want to succeed but don’t know where to start. It’s recruiting season so I can most likely find another job maybe at a smaller firm that provides training. Worst comes to worst HR block. My problem is I really need to learn accounting and tax for partnerships, s & c corps. I can only do so many w-2s. I want to grow and enhance my skills.

How should I go about bringing up these concerns to my manager?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Tommy
    Participant

I'm pretty sure @Adam is 34 by now

Licensed in IL & GA
    Lindsey_p87
    Participant

I don't see any problems with @PC ‘s post. If the company, which is a large regional firm and should theoretically know how to interview candidates appropriately, were planning to throw this person to the wolves with no training on corporate returns, they probably should have asked more questions about the candidates' experience in that area. OP said he mentioned that he had “some experience”, which is technically true. If they expected him to be an expert, they should have asked more follow up questions. It would be different if OP claimed to be an expert with a ton of corporate return experience, but he didn't say that. Applying for jobs and interviewing is a game of jumping through hoops and making yourself look as desirable as possible to employers. Not to mention the fact that no 2 companies are the same anyway – you will always need to be trained on a company's software and procedures. You should never be expected to start a new job and know what you're doing on Day 1. That's ridiculous.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

NYSCPA
    Participant

That escalated quickly… So how old is everyone and how much do you guys make? Also, please provide region for pay adjustments.

For the OP. It's now Wed. How did your chat go?

NYS Licensed CPA. 12yrs in this shit and it never gets easier!
    Tommy
    Participant

You first, @NYSCPA

Licensed in IL & GA
    jombe
    Participant

I think most people on this thread is trying to place blame on the employer's inadequate hiring tactics, i.e. it's employer's fault that they didn't test Pakpak's knowledge base properly, which doesn't seem really fair. I get the employer isn't completely blame-free on this one, but shouldn't the applicants make fair representation of themselves as well? Do employers now have to go into interviews, assume the applicants are going to be dishonest & bang their heads on the table to get some truth out of them?

I am just saying, what is the root cause for what's happening in Pakpak's work life? Isn't it Pakpak's own misrepresentation of himself? It's one thing to embellish your boring experience/qualifications to make it sound tad fancier, but isn't it basically lying to say you know “some” corporate tax, when you've done 1 return while having “no idea” what you were doing?

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96
    --------------------------------------------
    Done with exam. On with life.

FAR - 94 (10/4/15), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    AUD - 99 (1/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    REG - 96 (4/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    BEC - 91 (7/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ

581 days of listening to lectures, reading texts & 10,000+ MCQs...

Nbmorty
    Participant

So many entitled ppl here..
    Why not spend all that energy helping someone in a question he/she asks here coz Becker's/Roger's /Jeff's etc explanation isn't driving the point home?!
    Ppl how about an upgrad to become people? Not ppl.
    You are talking 60k and 80k well thats irrelevant, what's the point if you aren't happy?!
    Ok u are a regional Manger or a cfo etc.. The point?!!!
    A semi drunk hobo is happier than u. You would say (for a short time only) but at least they had that (Short time) u ppl hadn't and with that set will never have..
    And this isn't coming form someone who is Buddhist or a hippie or just monetary rich, this is coming form me (a dude who gave up his job which considered prestigious from where i am from to study full time only then to realize he knew the concpets but is too slow with answers)! And probably will have to pay another 1000 dollars for another attempt.
    Oh and btw
    I make 11k per year only ( i am form the middle east) but i am happy, i would even pay to see the look on an company's owner or the chief of accounts when i say hey there an error here! Priceless..
    Point is if you don't like ur job u are a slave!
    Simply put.
    This forum is for people who are studying or having problems with the exam thats how i understood it.. Not about employees asking for additional benefits or complaining about lack of them,
    As trump put it, SAD

jombe
    Participant

@NBMorty – stop trolling.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96

NYSCPA
    Participant

@Tommy NYC late twentys. Mid 90s, with another 25-30k from my own practice. U?

hamcpa2018
    Participant

I'm with Tommy re: @NYSCPA……However, I’m a little bit perplexed by the lack of honesty, integrity and ethics in the responses to the OP. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but some posters responses read as if they are advocating for having no personal accountability in a profession that commands honesty, integrity and ethics. Final assessments such as that it was ultimately the interviewer’s fault for not vetting the prospective employee thoroughly is problemsome for me. The interview is a two-way street with responsibilities on both sides. Also, the original poster did not “technically” tell the truth. Doing “one S Corp 2 years ago and had no idea what I was doing”, does not give one leeway to proclaim, “I have some experience”. I’m not a real doctor but I play one on TV so….. The original poster simply erred in the interview by embellishing on a subject that became a harsh reality. This should be a learning experience of what not to do, not a free for all to dupe every future employer because the interviewer’s skills were not on point. Maybe at 41 years old and working my way up to manager since I was 20 and becoming a shareholder of an accounting firm has made me view this through a black and white lens with little tolerance for the OP fib. Food for thought – what if everybody here interviewed and hired OP and took, let's say for the sake of argument 1K, out of their pocket to pay OP. If you found out they couldn't do the job after telling you they could, would you blame yourself or would you say they lied to me? Sometimes it helps to think of these things as if its coming out of your own pocket. After all that is what we do everyday, we step into the financial shoes of the client and guide as if it was our own $.

Ever been so frustrated you skipped anger and went straight to laughing like a lunatic...........
    Nbmorty
    Participant

@jombe i am not trolling at all.. The fact that you thought so explains a lot, problematical childhood?
    A whish to change ur career or even life when its too far?
    Not that kind of far which u could retake u know…

Well. I hope ur exam is in this window so at least my score in mcq will held u down, ppl like u should be kept in a cage.

NYSCPA
    Participant

@Hamcpa2018, As an employer and employee, and someone in the process of building a firm from nothing, I wholeheartedly agree with the notion of “seeing things from both sides”. Where this entire thread fell of the tracks was Adam's unnecessarily abrasive response.

You pose an excellent question. for myself, it depends, I'd like to believe if it was someone fresh out of college or very early in their career, I'd let the embarrassment be punishment enough, let them use it as a learning experience and help them grow. If it was someone older, with years of experience, you should know better. The other part that can't be ignored is the fact that its a regional firm. So, not a mom and pop shop that will truly suffer from hiring someone who lied about experience in a particular area.

Moral of all this. Don't lie, but if you do, and get caught, have a plan!

jombe
    Participant

Well said, @Hamcpa2018. I am glad I am not the only one that was uncomfortable w/ how most people were interpreting this situation.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96

hamcpa2018
    Participant

@NYSCPA and @Jombe, I like where your heads are at! @NYSCPA – I agree that my vision may be myopic given my small firm status. I'm in Bergen County NJ – Northern NJ – 100K+, full benefit package and more to come once I get BEC out of the way and NJ finds themselves good and ready to issue a license. (average 5 months) Good luck building your practice!

Ever been so frustrated you skipped anger and went straight to laughing like a lunatic...........
    NYSCPA
    Participant

@Hamcpa2018 Thank you. Best of luck with the last exam. BEC was my last as well. The happiness I felt on that day, seeing that passing score, was second only to the day I got married.

Lindsey_p87
    Participant

Idk, maybe I'm just jaded. I've only been working in accounting for about 5 years, but in that short time I've seen the ridiculous hoops that candidates are being forced to jump through to get a job. Full day office interviews only to not receive an update on the job position, recruiters changing your resume before sending them to the employer, 5-6 step interview processes for entry level positions, 2+ years experience required for ENTRY LEVEL jobs. It's all well and good to talk about honesty, integrity, etc. And I'm not saying that those qualities are not important. Clearly they are. But I honestly cannot blame someone for presenting his/her best self in an interview, even if it means embellishing experience. The hilarious thing is, this whole thing could have been avoided if the employer had simply asked ONE follow up question, but they didn't (I assume). Which says to me that they weren't that concerned with OP's experience doing corporate returns. I do think the onus is on the employer to make sure when interviewing, if they expect the candidate to have a lot of knowledge in one specific topic, they don't accept “some experience” as an answer without follow up questions. I don't think that's really that unreasonable.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.