What is training like at a Big 4 for first-year associates?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been reading posts and forums in the internet that Big 4 training is really good, and it’s one of the benefits of working at a Big 4.

But I have a couple friends at PWC, and they told me that training really sucks and you don’t really learn that much. You basically learn everything on the job and it is a learn-as-you-go experience.

And they said that during training everyone in the class just spaces out or plays solitaire on their computer, and not pay that much attention to the instructor.

Is the training program really good or is the real training on the job? Just wondering what training is like for first-year associates at any of the Big 4.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    rp 12
    Participant

I will second that as well. But if you can walk away from this training on how to maneuver with audit software system – just basics. It could help you. Also, if you have time use pre-recorded web based learning. I used to work at EY and they had that. It was very helpful.

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    AUD - 67, 62, 77 (lost credit), TBA

FAR - 53, 48, 58, 62, XX

BEC - 53, XX

"Success in life comes when you simply refuse to give up, with goals so strong that obstacles, failure, and loss act only as motivation"

AUD: 68, 62, 77✔ (expires 10/31/16)
    FAR: 53, 48, XX (retake 6/16)
    REG:
    BEC: 53

acamp
    Participant

There are various levels of training:

New hire: learn the software and/or space out and play solitaire

Periodic class room trainings: Learn about rev rec, GAAP Tax Disclosures, PCAOB Focus points, etc and/or space out and play solitaire

CPE/Online Trainings: Lots of various topics where you can learn and/or space out and play solitaire

Self proclaimed: Highest ratio of Replies to Others v. Posts Created on A71

California CPA - Big4 Aud Manager Alum - Private Accounting at Startups

FAR, REG and BEC with Ninja Notes + WTB Only

Ninja + Wiley Test Bank: [FAR - 81] [REG - 76] [BEC - 88] [AUD - 73](doh!)

Becker Videos: [AUD - 82]

California CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

It's viewed as a week off from actually working. I usually play games on my computer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I guess my real question is: Do you actually learn anything if you pay attention so that it will help you on the job????

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not in the ones I've had. They try and teach it like a high school class with handouts and practice worksheets. In my opinion, everything you do is based on your senior so why bother learning it in a classroom.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can only learn so much. The best learning is done while on the job. Big 4 is great cause you are constantly pushed out of your comfort zone on the job – it is rare to test the same section at the same client two years in a row. You also have TONS of access to online training a on almost any topic you can think of. Those are what ppl talk about when tgey praise the training NOT the week of training before you really start ;).

OnMyWay732
    Participant

Its garbage…Big 4 isn't about actually knowing anything in the industry until youre manager…Staff and senior is all about how well you can learn their stupid computer programs

AUD - July 2014 - 76
    REG - August 2014 - 82
    FAR - November 2014 - 78
    BEC - January 2015 - 81

DONE!!!!

Used Becker online. Who needs a text when you can burn your eyes out staring at the screen for months on end?

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you're hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

acamp
    Participant

Right, at the Big4 your first 5 years are spent learning their computer programs *roll eyes*

Self proclaimed: Highest ratio of Replies to Others v. Posts Created on A71

California CPA - Big4 Aud Manager Alum - Private Accounting at Startups

FAR, REG and BEC with Ninja Notes + WTB Only

Ninja + Wiley Test Bank: [FAR - 81] [REG - 76] [BEC - 88] [AUD - 73](doh!)

Becker Videos: [AUD - 82]

California CPA

OnMyWay732
    Participant

Not necessarily learning….Let's hope you pick that up in the first year..but more using. You aren't given a decision-making role until you're manager. Before that it's all just testing testing testing…and making memos

AUD - July 2014 - 76
    REG - August 2014 - 82
    FAR - November 2014 - 78
    BEC - January 2015 - 81

DONE!!!!

Used Becker online. Who needs a text when you can burn your eyes out staring at the screen for months on end?

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you're hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Anonymous
    Inactive

Any posts/forum that say that big4 training is top notch is just your typical mumbo jumbo kool aid.

The only real useful trainings are the ones that teach you how to use certain firm-specific software. Oh and don't forget those national trainings that focus on teaching you how to write a paragraph and have a conversation LOL

thechapman

It's pretty damn basic

Passed - 2014

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.