Surgent for CMA exam review

• Creator
    Topic
    NoName
    Participant

Has anyone used Surgent CMA Review? I know they also make CPA review but I never used them so I have zero experience. I am very much a “do the MCQ and read the book kind of person”.

I have had experience with Gleim for CMA but it just felt like MCQ were over the top. I love their books but many of the MCQ are too time consuming and almost equivalent to a CPA exam simulation. Also, there was around 2K questions per section whereas Surgent is closer to 1K per section.

I have the same critique of Gleim for CMA that many have of Gleim for REG (yes, the 3K MCQ is simply ridiculous for REG).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

“surgent-cpa-review”/

REG - 93 90% Gleim MCQ/book + 10% Wiley MCQ

BEC - 79 100% Wiley MCQ/book

FAR - 88 100% Gleim MCQ/book + Ninja Audios

AUD - 85 100% Wiley MCQ/book + Ninja Audios

Licensed CPA as of 2019

CMA Pt 1  400  100% Gleim MCQ/book

CMA Pt 2  Pending Score

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    B4BeanCounter
    Participant

Not sure how Surgent is, but I'm currently using Wiley to study for the CMA exam. I've used Becker to pass the CPA exam (and I loved using Becker) so it's going to be interesting how this turns out.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 87
    REG - 84
    "The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want badly enough." - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture.
    Matt
    Participant

I used Surgent CPA review for all 4 sections of the CPA exam. I passed every section first time fairly easily; I put the time and effort in, and I studied effectively. I did not pass AUD the first time, but I think that was more due to getting too over-confident than the review course itself. I would highly recommend Surgent for a CPA review course, but I'm not sure about CMA. Surgent has been around forever for CPE and have had good success with their CPA review course, so I would guess that their CMA review course would be good as well. Let me know if there's any specifics you would like to know about my experience with Surgent.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 95
    FAR - 85
    REG - 81
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"
    OnmywaytoCPA
    Participant

I purchased the Gleim CMA review back in March of 2017 after passing the CPA exam in November 2016. I studied with Gleim CMA off and on for 12 months and finally took part 1 of the CMA exam in February 2018. I got a 360, which is probably due to the off and on studying. I only studied off and on because the Gleim CMA review is so dry and boring. They only use one instructor for both parts and she puts me to sleep. I attempted part 2 in June 2018 and failed with a 350. Now, I'm trying the Wiley CMA 2 Week Demo. So far, right off bat, I noticed a huge difference in the energy level of the Wiley instructors. Also, with Wiley switching the instructors for different chapters, really helps to keep your attention.

The only con to Wiley is the price but one thing I learned is that if you chose a review course based on price, you'll end up buying a more expensive one later. I'm hoping to retake part 2 in September, so I can get my score in November.

AUD - 83
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 77
    REG - 90
    CMA Part 1 - 360 (Barely made it but I made it)
    CMA Part 2 - 360 (Made it by the skin of my teeth)

REG - 74, Retook 6/10/16, scored a 72 (Hate this exam)
    BEC - 69, 79, 8/1/15
    AUD - 83, 4/4/15
    FAR - 77, 2/27/16

B4BeanCounter
    Participant

@OnmywaytoCPA – I like Wiley for CMA so far. Taking part 1 in early September.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 87
    REG - 84
    "The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want badly enough." - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture.
    mtaylo24
    Participant

I used Hock and supplemented Surgent last year and failed Part 1 Feb of 18. Didn't even make it to the Essays. After 2 months off, I bought Gleim mega testbank for both parts and passed Part 1 this past Feb. It took me a LOT of time to get comfortable w/ that testbank, but I didn't rush my retake because I am also doing an evening MBA. I took part 2 a few weeks ago and made it to the essays, so that's a good sign. With that being said, Gleim > Hock > Surgent.

CPA (2017)

REG:  75

BEC:  76

FAR:  77

AUD: 78

CMA (2019)

P1: 380

P2: 360

AUD - 1st - 60 (12/12), 61 (2/13), 61 (8/13), 78! (11/15)
    REG - 55 (2/16) 69 (5/16) Retake(8/16)
    BEC - 71(5/16) Retake (9/16)
    FAR - (8/16)

EasyDoesIt81
    Participant

No experience with Surgent but I used Hock for learning (Text, Videos, Questions in book). They do a great job at teaching you the material but after taking the Part 1 and barely squeaking by, I had to use Gleim's TB to simulate the difficulty of the exams.

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 84
    REG - NINJA in Training
    CMA Part 1 - 10/2017 - Pass
    CMA Part 2 - 10/2018 - Pass
    B4BeanCounter
    Participant

@EasyDoesIt81 – Just out of curiosity, are you currently studying for the CPA exam as well or have you already passed it?

AUD - 86
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 87
    REG - 84
    NoName
    Participant

Update***

I ended up going with Gleim after all (I got a discount to renew it since I had previously started studying with it about a year back).

At this point I am trending well on the MCQ so I am optimistic (first test is in 5 weeks).

Licensed CPA as of 2019

CMA Pt 2  Pending Score

B4BeanCounter
    Participant

Taking Part 1 next Saturday. Averaging around 84-87 when doing 10 sets of 30 MCQs on Wiley CMA. Some of these questions take way longer than long questions you see in FAR/BEC of the CPA exam.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 87
    REG - 84
    NoName
    Participant

@ B4BeanCounter

How did it go? I am nervous since I have never sat for a CMA exam.

Did you opt to bring your own calculator or use one provided by the test center?

Surgent CMA Review Logo

Licensed CPA as of 2019

CMA Pt 2  Pending Score

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.