CIA vs CPA

• Creator
    Topic
    alms
    Participant

Hey peeps, I am considering transitioning into audit and am debating if the CPA is really necessary. I want to focus mainly on IA and am considering just getting the CIA.

Any advice?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Myredstapler
    Participant

Here are my two cents. Yes the cia is great for internal audit but if you ever venture out of it the cia is just disregarded compared to the Cpa. Even in ia the majority of individuals in a Fortune 500 audit shop will have their cpa. Most cpas look down on it and only see it as a secondary cert. I have both by the way.

thunderlips
    Participant

in my opinion cpa holds up better even if you only want to be in auditing, both external and internal. cia is scrictly internal auditing and most say is inferior to cpa. plus cpa has more options should you want to change fields, which is becoming more common these days

Brendan
    Participant

CPA way more valuable in the future. If you have a choice between CPA and CIA, I'd choose the CPA. Even some internal auditors have their CPAs and not their CIA. Also, both is always an option!

vbmer
    Participant

CPA first, CIA for specialization. CIA only gives people the impression you were too lazy/lacking in fundamentals to do the CPA.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 89
    REG - 80
    Manager, Big 4 Corporate Finance, CPA (WA)
    LuckyGuy292
    Participant

CPA>CIA in any market or industry, public or private.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 85
    REG - 79
    🙂
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.