CPA and EA

• Creator
    Topic
    Jennica
    Participant

I am an Enrolled Agent studying for the CPA exam. Is there a benefit to being both an EA and a CPA, or should I just let my EA lapse once I get my CPA?

AUD - 86
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 80
    REG - 88
    Jennica
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Adam
    Participant

No benefit..and EA's generally are clueless on Accounting and Corporate/Partnership taxation..Just my experience with working with them..90 percent do not understand it like Experienced CPA's do (Nt a knock at you..there are always execptions)

Keep the EA as its federal and the CPE can be knocked out with the CPA's

But no, nobody really cares about having the EA if you have your CPA..your CPA will give you a 15k-20k increase in pay over an EA..in hiring its usually CPA's preferred..EA's accepted..last resort unlicensed in the process of becoming license..and they get paid bumpkiss

The CPA will help you understand accounting inside and out..if you can get audit and bookkeping experience somewhere as well..itll greatly help doing the taxes of more complicated entities as youll be able to spot things that dont make sense on the return and need addressed..

Recked
    Participant

I'm both. I plan to keep the EA from lapsing. I'm already hitting all the CPE requirements for the CPA, so there is really not much additional cost involved.
    It's good in all 50 states, so you got that going for you if you handle tax audit representation.
    I mostly like when new clients ask if I'm an EA or CPA and I get to say “both”.
    There is really no tangible benefit to keeping it though.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

JasonSoCal
    Participant

I’m an EA and I’m finishing up my CPA requirements. There’s no benefit but I will continue to renew (it’s $35 every three years I think).

EA’s can do everything that non-attest CPA’s can do. I always tell everyone that the reason I am getting my CPA is so that I don’t have to explain to everyone what an EA is. The street cred of the CPA is unmatched in professional credentials (except for the potentially lawyers).

I will renew my EA simply because I think the IRS has an inherent tendency to favor their own credential. Not sure what that looks like or how it plays out but you never know how the landscape might change.

To add, I was actually really surprised by EA exam. More specifically, it amazes me that it’s such a small hurdle to being granted full practice rights before the IRS. Some really could pass the EA exam by guessing. Perhaps that is why the CPA is more highly desired.

AUD - 70
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 75
    REG - 85
    Ready to be done...
    turo9992000
    Participant

I'm both as well, I got my EA so I could represent clients while I passed the CPA. I never put EA on any business cards or on my linked in. I did put CPA on all my profiles as soon as I got my license.

The EA is ok, but it did not seem like a big accomplishment. It took me 3 week to pass the EA exam, and 9 months to pass the CPA exam.

AUD - 64, 80 Passed on 10/09/17

BEC - 75 Passed on 12/09/17

FAR - 69, 71, 73, 83 Passed on 06/10/18

REG - 81 Passed on 09/10/17

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.