EA designation worth it? Licensed attorney + passed CPA exams

• Creator
    Topic
    dgg135
    Participant

Hello everyone:

I’m a licensed and experienced attorney and passed the CPA exams this year. I’m trying to get a position in public accounting specializing in tax, and I’m struggling to get noticed.

I am going to be taking a tax preparation course so I will get the necessary Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) and then I’ll be getting some hands on experience since my lack of experience seems to be an issue and any experience is better than no experience. I’m considering also sitting for the EA exams. I like how I get the designation right after I pass without work experience. Does anyone have any thoughts on such an approach?

I just want to get into tax and find this process and wait to be frustrating. Thank you.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 85
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    Licensed Attorney. Soon to be licensed cpa as well.

Far (April 2018)70, (September 2018)77

Aud (May 2018) 81

Bec (June 2018) 85

Reg (July 2018) 80

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Small4
    Participant

if you have the time, it never hurts. However, as someone that has it, the CPA designation is basically the license that really resonates to employers. Your law degree should too no right? essentially you are able to represent clients to the IRS with an EA, but CPA is more widely known. My suggestion is…once you get that CPA, you will think the EA will be somewaht redundant. It does help to have those EA license etc when needing to put something “in the meantime” as you wait for your CPA…but if you can sense they are both arriving at the same time, I really would think CPA is the way to go.

AUD - 77
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 82
    REG - 77
    -Becker (do all mcq, period),
    -Buy NINJA mcq (68% trend), and
    -PRINT trouble topics.

-Also Used WTB mcq (68% trend).
    -Do 40-50 SIMs and read answers/try to learn from solutions like its a book example.
    -Lastly, when having trouble with same topic, go big picture and watch trouble lecture

BEC - 68,70,72,75 5/15
    AUD - 78(expired), 77 8/15
    REG - 29,58,65,77 1/16
    FAR - 56,68,73 - retake October hopefully (last shot)

Been doing this since 2007 on and off...

chandler
    Participant

I don't really think so. There is nothing at all wrong with the EA designation, but I think you will find that the CPA is much, much more recognized and respected in the public accounting world.
    As a disclaimer, I do not have the EA nor any experience with their exams, etc. However, I have heard this sentiment from others who have both the CPA and EA credentials as well as those who just have the EA. If you are finding that public firms are turning away a candidate who is a licensed attorney and has passed all of the CPA exams, I somewhat doubt that being an enrolled agent would change their mind.
    As a side note, I am surprised you are having a hard time finding someone to give you a chance. Maybe its your location or the type of jobs you are applying for?

Chandler Priest

Licensed TX CPA

REG 01/27/18 - 98

BEC 03/03/18 - 96

AUD 04/07/18 - 91

FAR 06/02/18 -96

Tncincy
    Participant

I wouldn't add anymore letters for the sake of finding a job. As it was said, Cpa is most recognized and respected as a professional. Then there is law, absolutely recognized. Maybe you're not looking in the right places for employment. Change your search approach, but I wouldn't spend more money on tests, study materials, and perhaps more letters. 🙁

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

Recked
    Participant

The main purposes of the EA is to allow non-credentialed tax preparers to be able to sign off on a POA. Or at least that was my main motivator while I was waiting out my time to be CPA eligible.
    As a licensed attorney you can already sign off on a 2848.
    I guarantee you will learn a great deal about tax during the course of studying and taking the EA exams. Its on a different level than the CPA in the depth of the tax questions.
    Will it benefit you in finding a job? I doubt it, but you will absolutely learn a great deal.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

dgg135
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the responses. I had been applying for a few senior associate positions and not getting responses. I guess I have to look for more regular associate positions. Only issue is I have trouble finding them for many of the firms.ill keep at it. Location is nyc btw. Maybe it’s harder, I dunno.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 85
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    Licensed Attorney. Soon to be licensed cpa as well.

Far (April 2018)70, (September 2018)77

Aud (May 2018) 81

Bec (June 2018) 85

Reg (July 2018) 80

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.