BEST ADVICE

• Creator
    Topic
    Maverick
    Participant

I used BECKER.. and it rocks! I just passed the last part of the CPA exam and I wanted to give my some advice to future test takers. These are the things that I DIDN’T do. I did not do the simulations and I never opened a practice exam. I READ the book cover to cover twice and I did all the MCQs twice. Lastly, I would reread the book and redo all MCQs during the last week before my exam.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 83
    REG - 88
    Studying with Becker.
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    CPAHOPE
    Participant

Congrats on passing! I think it really depends. Reading the whole book, page to page isnt effective for me since the book (wiley) isnt well written in that its very difficult to retain the information. It might be different for becker though. I did download free old becker book online and it does feel like its better written than wiley for sure

AUD - 78
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 80
    REG - 77
    FAR 80

REG 79*,77

AUD 78!!Final

BEC 76

"Theres no limit unless you allow it"

*expired

Maverick
    Participant

I have no experience with Wiley so my advice should only be used by people that have Becker. I just know that most of the people who are not passing in my office have said that they should read the book more. I'd definitely recommend using Becker if you can though.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 83
    REG - 88
    Studying with Becker.
    PDiddy2000
    Participant

So you read the FAR book twice? That's impressive! I'm using Wiley too and they throw everything at you even if it's not highly tested just to say they covered everything. How was Becker's MCQs? Some of Wiley's “testbank” questions are filled with so much minutia that the AICPA would never have a question like that on the exam.

FAR-Mar 9,2020 (failed 71), retest May 21
    BEC-Passed(I had a few stops and starts because I was studying during my busy season. Lost track of my study stats.)
    AUD-Passed(8 weeks,1877 MCQs, and 38 TBSs)-Wiley
    REG-Passed(10 weeks, 2000 MC)-Wiley
    Maverick
    Participant

Yeah reading the book takes forever but it moved the needle for me. Becker's MCQs are definitely way harder than the questions on the exam so I just try and make sure I can get 80% or more right.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 83
    REG - 88
    Studying with Becker.
    RaulB
    Participant

Hi Maverick, congrats on your accomplishments! Did you just read the book and not watch any lectures? Do you recommend doing both lectures and the book or is just reading the book enough as what you did? Did you take any supplementary test banks such as Gleim or Ninja on the side?

RB
    RaulB
    Participant

Sorry, one more question. Did you do reread the book 2 or 3 times? You mentioned that you read the book 2 weeks before your exam.

RB
    Tncincy
    Participant

@Maverick, You are brave. There is no way I could read the book twice. I am just not that disciplined. But hey, if it works why change. Congrats on being done.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

Maverick
    Participant

I usually tried to listen to the lectures. However, when I procrastinated, I would just skip them and read. The lectures should be viewed as supplemental but sometimes Peter/Tim give good stories that resonate which can be very helpful. Everything seemed to come together after reading the book for the second time. Also, cramming is super helpful but you cannot be learning the material for the first time during the last week or you will get burned.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 83
    REG - 88
    Studying with Becker.
    Maverick
    Participant

I only used Becker and if you read and do the MCQs you do not need to supplement with any other courses.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 83
    REG - 88
    Studying with Becker.
    Jessica H
    Participant

I think it all depends on your study style, each person is different. I too use Becker, but I found the most useful parts are the simulation questions and mock exams. I go over the materials first, and after the first pass, I do the mock exams to get a pretty good idea of the question styles and key topics. I never finished the mcqs in Becker (I'd do about 50%, there are too many of them lol) but this approach has worked for me.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.