Just took FAR Q1 2019

• Creator
    Topic
    Jennica
    Participant

I took FAR yesterday. I was not too confident going in, because I was consistently getting 60% on the Wiley practice MCQs. My exam was on the last day of my NTS, so rescheduling for more study time wasn’t an option.

The second MCQ testlet was harder than the first, which I know is a good sign. I was slightly stressed while answering the second testlet. I got more governmental accounting questions in both MCQ testlets than I was expecting.

The TBS questions were what I was expecting; nothing came out of left field; it was all topics I expected to be tested on. Taking the AICPA practice exam ahead of time helped. The real exam questions didn’t have the same content, but they did have the same format.

My debits did not equal my credits in two of the TBS questions. I’m not worried, because maybe I got them partly right, or maybe I did well in the rest of the test.

I kept this vague to avoid disclosing exam questions, but let me know if I have too much detail about the questions.

AUD - 86
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 80
    REG - 88
    Jennica
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Ralphie Dos Nachos
    Participant

how were the sims? crazy amount of exhibits? or you thought fair

FAR - 76

AUD - 89

BEC - 84

REG - 86

KNM
    Participant

Just want to say way to go taking the exam! That's a large part of the battle for me: scheduling and just moving forward methodically (while of course I feel utterly guilty for ignoring family and friends :().

KNM
    forever_studying96
    Participant

Hey guys, my FAR exam is in one week. Does anyone have any last minute studying tips? I'm not too great with deferred taxes, leases, and statement of cash flows. Not sure if I should spend my time trying to figure out these topics which may not even show up or if I should focus my time on reviewing everything as a whole. Any advice? Thanks!

AUD - 86
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Am I done yet?
    Jennica
    Participant

OHMSS,

No, the SIMs weren't crazy; they were all reasonable. I had 1:45 left on the clock after the 15 minute break, and I finished all the remaining SIMs with a minute left on the clock.

AUD - 86
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 80
    REG - 88
    Jennica
    TerriSilva
    Participant

can you tell me if the new leasing standards apply now?

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 86
    California Licensed CPA as of August 19th, 2019!

nissen
    Participant

I took FAR yesterday. I found 4 out of 8 sims difficult (regret not working enough sims). There’s no way I passed this exam. This is the first exam I take.

Jennica
    Participant

TerriSilva- Yes, the new leasing standards apply now. I thought it was difficult to remember all the different types of leases.

AUD - 86
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 80
    REG - 88
    Jennica
    TerriSilva
    Participant

@Jennica I'm taking it tomorrow…the whole right of use asset thing for operating has me irritated. I'll refresh my memory on that stuff tonight I guess…maybe watch a video in Wiley.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 86

gscottini
    Participant

Hi @Jennica and @TerriSilva!!

Im taking FAR at the end of the week…. any advice for the Sims? what to focus on? Govt or Non For Profit are those simms??? Im not that strong on those topics……

Jennica
    Participant

It's possible for governmental and non-profit to be tested as SIMs, but those topics are more likely to show up as multiple choice questions.

I found governmental accounting difficult when I was studying, because there was a lot to remember. But I passed FAR!

AUD - 86
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 80
    REG - 88
    Jennica
    gscottini
    Participant

@ Jennica Do you happen to remember what were your sims about?

Thanks!!!!

Jennica
    Participant

I don't think I can answer that question – we are not supposed to post on this forum what topics we saw on the exam, because of the AICPA's rules about not disclosing exam content.

I don't think it would help you to know what topics were on my exam, anyway, because you won't get the same test I did. Maybe you'll study what I got tested on and then get tested on something different.

All the SIMs I saw were topics I remembered studying in my Wiley CPAExcel materials. Nothig unexpected. So you should probably study what your review materials say are likely to be tested.

AUD - 86
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 80
    REG - 88
    Jennica
    gscottini
    Participant

@Jennica – I see I didnt realize that applied even for out of state candidates. Was your exam more on the theorical questions or more on calculations type questions for the multiple choice? I've heard from friends who did it during this Q1 2019 that its more on the calculations…. any feedback?

TerriSilva
    Participant

@Gscottini FAR is so vast it's nearly impossible to give advice on what to study…if you have any weak areas, hit those hard and learn them because that's what tends to show up on the SIMS in my opinion…it's why it took me 5 tries to pass! I got within 2 and 3 points twice, and this last time passed by the skin of my teeth. It's all about timing – you have to make sure you have at least 2+ hours for the SIMS because you don't know what you'll get and they can be brutal and time-consuming.

I sacrificed doing better on the mcqs this time to focus on SIMS, and for the first time I got ‘comparable' on the SIMS but ‘weaker' on the mcqs…which is odd, but I did go through the mcqs quickly. Whatever the case, it worked 😉 I can tell you this – get stronger on governmental and nfp.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 86

Mike
    Participant

Terri, can you receive a comparable report from your State on passing scores? I thought it was only provided if the test was failed.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.