4 Days out from FAR

• Creator
    Topic
    kayla.james
    Participant

Hey y’all!

I take FAR 8/24 and I’m completely panicked. It’s my first exam and I find myself jumping from flashcards to reading to MCQs and I’m lost. I mimicked the Blueprint from NINJA MCQs in excel to track my percentages, but I’m getting discouraged. I started drilling down for each section less than 80% and somehow was performing worse all morning. My trending is 81% and I truly have no idea how. At one point this morning I was at a 60% trending. I’ve done a total of 164 questions this morning, and I don’t know if I should keep going or stop to read or just slow down.

I’ve spent a total of 18 hours so far in the MCQs, not including those I did in Gleim. Total attempted questions in NINJA is 1074, but I still haven’t seen 1314.

I need help developing a plan of attack for the next four days. Should I continue to drill down on everything under 80% or should I do random sets for all sections?

I would also love any advice on how to get out of my head on this!! My nerves are getting the best of me and I think that’s affecting my ability to perform on the MCQs.

Thanks, everyone! This is such a supportive place I’ve been leaning on for the last couple of months.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Recked
    Participant

You will notice diminishing returns on hammering MCQs long term. 164 MCQs for FAR is a lot in a day.
    I would usually max around 100 a session before I started making stupid mistakes.
    I'd give the MCQs a break and review notes or something on weak areas.
    How were you performing in the Gleim TB? How many MCQs did you do in Gleim.

I would also recommend not doing MCQs the day before your exam. The day before I would review notes and mnemonics, etc but give my mind a break from the MCQ drain.

Have you done the AICPA sample test and SIMs? Those are very helpful and a good break.

It sounds to me like you are on target and just letting your nerves run wind. Take a deep breath. You put in the time, you studied hard, you got this. Your feelings are completely normal. Just breath and push through. It'll all be over in a few days. TRUST THE PROCESS!!!

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

kayla.james
    Participant

@Recked THANK YOU! You are absolutely right and my hit or miss performance is making me feel like I've forgotten everything.

I only did the baseline Gleim MCQs right after I finished the material. I was scoring anywhere from 55-75 per section. I took the Gleim mock exam last Friday and got a 73. I felt decent about it, but a week feels like such a long time and I'm not as confident. It's 100% the nerves and if I can't get out of my head by exam day, I will certainly fail.

I did the AICPA sample test last week too, but I can't remember the SIMs at this point. I plan to do it again tomorrow since everyone recommends it.

The MCQs are killing me and I'm going to take your advice to switch it up! I appreciate you!

water
    Participant

I am also taking FAR on Monday 8/24. I had similar problems with MCQ where I would try to do a whole bunch and after awhile id be making simple mistakes and getting frustrated. Doing too many can indeed be draining, and I've come across a few that seem a bit irrelevant. I agree that on the day before the exam reviewing all your notes and taking the night off is the best bet. Just try to solidify the basic concepts and important info in your brain before going in. Best of luck to you!

REG - 91 (May 18 2020)

FAR - 89 (Aug 24 2020)

BEC - 95 (Sept 28 2020)

AUD - 90 (Nov 12 2020)

kayla.james
    Participant

@water Ah, I'm glad we're in it together for 8/24! Good luck to you as well! What's your gameplan for the next couple of days?

water
    Participant

Right now I am working through the SIMS in my course (Roger). I'll probably stop after doing 70-75% of them. Tomorrow I am going to do redo most of the MCQs I originally answered wrong, and maybe some new ones. On Sunday I am going to do one more final review of my notes. For REG I brought them with me the day of the test to the test center and spent 20 mins looking over them before the test as well so I will probably do that again.

REG - 91 (May 18 2020)

FAR - 89 (Aug 24 2020)

BEC - 95 (Sept 28 2020)

AUD - 90 (Nov 12 2020)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.