FAR Study Group - Page 11

Viewing 15 replies - 151 through 165 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    ssibi
    Participant

Does anyone have recommendations on where I could buy just FAR MCQs and sims? I need a ton of practice

Good luck to everyone taking audit this quarter!
    BF98
    Participant

Becker is ok.
    NINJA is decent
    Wiley and Gleim I think are probably better than both.

Han
    Participant

@Kyle are you doing the lectures with Becker? I feel doing one module at a time and doing the mc questions related to that module is a good approach. Even if you have to look through the module to get the answer. I feel it will increase your chance in helping the concepts to stick. With FAR what helped me was continuous review and doing one mod at a time. Some concepts dont stick until 2nd or 3rd time around.

AUD - 80
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - 80
    REG - 78
    • Hanna
    Kyle
    Participant

@Han My process, which has worked for BEC and AUD, has been to read a module, then complete the practice sims, then complete the multiple choice questions, then continue to the next section. Once I read through the book once, I began just working through the multiple choice questions over and over and over. I feel like I have always been extremely frustrated at the beginning when I have no idea what I'm doing, but I feel like FAR is way worse on Becker than it is with any other Exam. I feel like their answer explanations are horrible, they compute things and just expect you to KNOW where or why they are computing those amounts, and then half of the questions dont even have a valid reference to where in the book you learned this.

I just dont know if I should continue with Becker or if there is something else out there that will help me more. I have until February to pass FAR and BEC, and I am currently doing PPE Cost Basis, which sounds simple on the outside, but Becker likes to make things a thousand times more difficult than they actually are or than they have to be, and I'm struggling to not punch a desk after every incorrect question because of it.

Basically I'm halfway complete with the CPA Exams and I'm about to quit.

AUD - 83
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    Not sure what I'll stress about if I ever pass these last two exams
    nicholasloprinzi25
    Participant

I felt the same way with FAR & Becker. My advice would be to just finish the book/lectures & don’t get too caught up in their mcq’s. Instead, write notes on things YOU know you’re struggling in or having a hard time to grasp.

After you’re done with Becker I would use NINJA or the Gleim test bank to pound out MCQ’s for 2-3 weeks leading up to your test date. Don’t give up!

AUD - 75
    BEC - 79
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 76
    Pushing through one step at a time!
    Kyle
    Participant

Thank you Nicholas. Feel like I'm so close. Once this ones finished BEC CANNOT be more difficult, but I'm beginning to get scared I won't pass FAR. Do you know the pricing on the GLeim Test Bank? When I was looking into Gleim for REG, I read that it was almost too detailed and it was going over things that weren't even tested on more comprehensive tax related certification exams, so if thats the same case with FAR, I would be afraid, but I do agree I need way more multiple choice questions that might do better at helping teach me.

AUD - 83
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    nicholasloprinzi25
    Participant

In my opinion FAR is the hardest & I struggled with AUD (which you passed). BEC should be a piece of cake after FAR. Gleim is definitely hard, it’s very hard at times in my opinion. There are questions that I know I won’t see, but I failed FAR my first time by two points & I was weak in the MCQ’s (which shocked me) so I want to be overprepared this time.

However, I used NINJA for the other 3 parts & I’m supplementing with it now as well & it’s helped me tremendously. NINJA is definitely better in terms of price & it’s pretty close with Gleim in terms of preparation. Both are light years above Becker when it comes to the multiple choice in my opinion.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 79
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 76
    Pushing through one step at a time!
    Kyle
    Participant

Interesting. Looks like I'll be wasting 67 extra per month then until i pass!

AUD - 83
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    Kyle
    Participant

Does anyone know how to explain commercial substance since Becker once again has absolutely no idea how to help explain stuff like this?

AUD - 83
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    BF98
    Participant

Commercial substance- if future cash flows involves changes after the transaction if you are familiar with the boot/gain paid its similar to that.

Michelle
    Participant

Hi,
    Is there any way to private message someone on this forum? I had posted awhile ago about looking for a study group in the Northern NJ area. Someone replied but I couldn't pm them.
    So again, if anyone is looking to study FAR (hope to take it in July), please message me.
    Thanks!

BF98
    Participant

I live in the Indianapolis IN area if anyone wants to do a FAR study group that would work for me too.

fsin1328
    Participant

Hi all,

I am taking FAR( for my second time in JUlY) I have a pretty steady study schedule about 6-7 weeks before I sit. I have been stuck on income tax accounting chapter, I am using Ninja and Gleim as my study material. Any advice on how some of y'all overcame that chapter? I am aware it is a heavily tested chapter so I am trying my hardest to nail this chapter.

Any advice is truly appreciated:)
    thanks and good luck to all.

Kyle
    Participant

Does anyone else here have bad ADD/ADHD? It was always difficult to study, but I'm finding FAR is WAYYYYY more difficult for me than Audit or REG. I am reading the chapter, and then attempting the multiple choice, and having quite a rough time. I understand its my first time going through the topics, but it still seems much more frustrating than even REG, which is terrible because i hate tax. I've been reading around that us ADD people shouldn't really be reading the book as much, but the thought of that scares me. However, I just tried to do a section of multiple choice questions before reading the chapter, and I feel like I'm almost doing better than I was when I was reading the chapter before taking the multiple choice. Does anyone else with ADD issues have any other tips and tricks with understanding FAR, or at least slowing yourself down when doing the questions? I'm two away from passing and I will absolute refuse to let this test break me.

AUD - 83
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    Jokr
    Participant

@Kyle honestly FAR has been the worst one for me yet, with REG as my last (also hate Tax). I have ADHD and even on my meds i still struggled. But I had the same feeling as you, I spent a month going through the book in its entirety (Rewrote/ paraphrased every section) and did MCQ in the last week leading up to my test and felt like it had been better use of my time than going through the book, which i didn't really experience as much with my previous sections. I would say one thing I did while I went through questions (but can be time consuming) was write down notes on questions I tripped up on consistently (such as DVLIFO for example, or Fund Types) to drill the subject into my head. For certain questions that seemed extra hard/ tricky or that I thought encompassed the main points of a topic I rewrote the questions (such as certain revenue recognition questions, or reconciliations). It may be a bit time consuming if you do this for every question but if your goal is to slow down during questions to understand answers I would definitely say write notes in between questions.

AUD: 84 (4/18)

BEC: 88 (3/19)

FAR: 6/10

REG: 7/19

Viewing 15 replies - 151 through 165 (of 379 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.