FAR Study Group - Page 12

Viewing 15 replies - 166 through 180 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Kyle
    Participant

I dont even know what I'm asking to be honest. Probably just going to quick. Becker is an absolute joke. I will read the entire section and still do god awful on the multiple choice questions, which is then accompanied by TERRIBLE explanations of how to arrive at the answer. Thank you for the help though. Just cant do it anymore

AUD - 83
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    Not sure what I'll stress about if I ever pass these last two exams
    theJackedCPA
    Participant

I just started studying for FAR. Am i the only one that thinks Becker does a horrible job for this section? The majority of the MCQs are not explained at all in the lecture.

AUD - 90
    BEC - 93
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 96
    We are Firemen!!!
    Rey
    Participant

Hello fellow future CPA. So excited I passed FAR yesterday. This was my second time taking it. One down and three left. Let me know if any one needs help or advice. I just want to pay it forward.

FAR- 73, 83
    AUD- In progress as of June 20th
    REG- Becker
    BEC- Becker

nicholasloprinzi25
    Participant

I could definitely use some advice. I'm in the same exact position you were in with FAR. I failed the first time with a 73 & now I'm studying to retake it July 6th. I've been doing a ton of MCQ's for two weeks now & writing notes. I have two weeks to go, what helped you improved your score to get over that 75?

AUD - 75
    BEC - 79
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 76
    Pushing through one step at a time!
    BF98
    Participant

Are u in the Indy area Rey?

Rey
    Participant

No I’m in CA-Bay Area

loganVaz
    Participant

Hi, Hope this is the right place to post this. I have two questions and I feel as if the concepts are contradicting each other if anybody can help I would appreciate it.

Pare, Inc. purchased 10% of Tot Co.'s 100,000 outstanding shares of common stock on January 2 of the current year for $50,000. On December 31, Pare purchased an additional 20,000 shares of Tot for $150,000. There was no goodwill as a result of either acquisition, and Tot had not issued any additional stock during the year. Tot reported earnings of $300,000 for the year. What amount should Pare report in its December 31 balance sheet as investment in Tot?

A. $170,000
    B. $230,000
    C. $200,000
    D. $290,000
    The correct answer is (C).

When Pare purchased an additional 20,000 shares of Tot at 12/31, it increased its investment in Tot's common stock from 10% to 30% [i.e., (10,000 shares + 20,000 shares) ÷ 100,000 shares = 30%].

On 12/31, Pare gained the ability to exercise significant influence over the financial and operating policies of Tot and accordingly should report its investment in Tot using the equity method in its 12/31 balance sheet.

The change from the cost method of reporting the investment in Tot to the equity method should be made by prospectively as of the date significant influence is acquired and going forward.

On the December 31 Balance Sheet would be the original investment of $50,000 plus the price paid for additional 20,000 shares – i.e. $150,000 – which will be equal to $200,000.

Pare will begin using equity method from January 1, Year 2 and proportionate earnings will be included from year 2 and not year 1.

so this question is telling me not to add the income that we had equity in at 10%, but rather add the carrying value of the investments. Going forward the income is attributed to the parent at 30%.

Question 2

On January 1 of the current year, Point, Inc. purchased 10% of Iona Co.'s common stock. Point purchased additional shares bringing its ownership up to 40%
    of Iona's common stock outstanding on August 1. During October, Iona declared and paid a cash dividend on all of its outstanding common stock. How much
    income from the Iona investment should Point's year-end income statement report?

A. 10% of Iona's income for January 1 to July 31, plus 40% of Iona's income for August 1 to December 31
    B. 40% of Iona's income for August 1 to December 31 only
    C. 40% of Iona's total year income
    D. Amount equal to dividends received from Iona
    On 1/1, Point purchased 10% of Iona's common stock. On 8/1, when Point increased its investment in Iona's common stock from 10 percent to 40 percent,
    Point gained the ability to exercise significant influence over the financial and operating policies of Iona and accordingly should report its investment using
    the equity method. The change from the cost method of reporting the investment to the equity method should be made by prospectively.

Here the correct answer is A. There must be something I am not understanding because this problem uses the equity method for the whole year based on the %'s. Why does this question use 10% of income (by way of equity method) and not the first one?

sdollen64
    Participant

I think the issue is that the answer for MCQ 2 is B. Not A. If you change from cost to equity, you're only entitled to a share in the income prospectively – going forward from the date you increased your ownership to 20-50%. For question 2, you purchased an additional 30% interest on August 1; so you're entitled to income from Aug 1st – Dec 31st.

In addition to that, you changed to the equity method as of Aug. 1st. The dividend was declared/paid in October – after you changed. Dividends aren't income when you use the equity method. It is a debit to Cash and a credit to Investment – it decreases your investment. The question is asking what you would report as net income – your 40% of net income from Aug 1st – Dec 31st.

If I'm not explaining it well, I'm sure someone will come along that can explain it better than me.

My teenage son to me "If you don't pass, it isn't like you'll die or anything."  True.  Very true.  Just do your best, it's all you can do.
    April94
    Participant

In question 1, the investor increased their % ownership at the end of the year (literally on the last day – 12/31). Tot reported $300K in earnings for the WHOLE year, so Pare doesn't get any of that – because he only owned the 30% on the last day of the fiscal year! He can start reporting earnings in the next fiscal year.

In question 2, Point owned 10% ownership From January 1 up until August 1. Then, his ownership increased to 40% on August 1 – SO he gets 40% of that income (i.e. 40% from August – December) that Iona is reporting because he will have owned 40% from August 1 – December 31 (whereas in question 1, the investor only owned 30% for 1 day).

In order to appropriately reflect the % earnings, Point gets to report 40% of earnings from August – December but he ALSO gets to report 10% of earnings from January – July 31. Because he is switching from cost to equity method, he can record the portion of earnings from January – July, BUT he can only record the % he owned during that time (i.e. 10%). This is why answer A is correct for question 2.

"It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Licensed CPA in IL

FAR-72, 55, 82 (Roger + Wiley TB)
    AUD-66, 92 (Roger)
    REG-71, 81 (Roger + Wiley TB)
    BEC-77 (Roger)
    Ethics- 93

loganVaz
    Participant

Thank you for that explanation both of you. For clarification I want to clear up whats confusing me. Because in the second question the equity method was used for a good portion of the year you are accounting for the original investment as the equity method (using 10% of the income until August), and then 40% (prospectively) for the rest of the year. So you are using the equity method for the entire year just at different percentages.

In the first question you are switching to the equity method at the very last day of the year so going forward in year 2 you use it, but you don't use it for year one?

April94
    Participant

Apologies – my Roger book has the incorrect answer. Sdollen explained it correctly – 40% of Iona's income for August 1 – Dec 31 should be included since changes from cost to equity are applied prospectively. My book (2017) has the incorrect answer (answer A) – you may need an updated book/MCQ too! 🙂

"It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Licensed CPA in IL

FAR-72, 55, 82 (Roger + Wiley TB)
    AUD-66, 92 (Roger)
    REG-71, 81 (Roger + Wiley TB)
    BEC-77 (Roger)
    Ethics- 93

David
    Participant

Hi FAR group, studying for FAR currently finishing Chapter 1 of Becker testing in Q3. Feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material but ready to just grind through it, it's my last exam hopefully which is awesome Saved a beast for the end :/ Good luck everyone!!

AUD - 82
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 79
    REG - 75
    “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11

piggyqueenie
    Participant

Hey guys! I am sitting for my first exam at the end of July and I am having a pretty hard time with Time Value of Money questions in FAR. I understand the material when going over the lecture but when I go read a MC question, I have no direction on where to start because it seems the methodology of completing each question changes each year. If anyone has any tips on tackling these questions or maybe like a cheat sheet on what to do when reading one of these questions, that would be an immense help! I want to move on to the next section but the Bonds section is next and it kind of falls back on the Time Value of Money section.

Thanks so much!!

Rey
    Participant

I do but you would need to call me

Yaw
    Participant

Is there anyone studying for FAR in the Denver, Colorado area? I would love to connect and possibly form a study group.
    I'm using Gleim.

Viewing 15 replies - 166 through 180 (of 379 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.