FAR Study Group - Page 3

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    LL
    Participant

@Tbizzle Thank you for your advice! I am actually doing what you suggested. I can feel I start getting those journal entries. The more I practice the more I get them. Thank you!

AUD - 76
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 79
    REG - 80
    I am DONE!
    stan
    Participant

what is the correct answer if it is not conservatism ?

Stand
    stan
    Participant

Can we use plain paper for scratch paper at the prometric center rather than laminated papers? I am allergic to markers

Stand
    CPA
    Participant

They can give you papers and a calculator, It depends on the location. it best to call or stop by your Prometric location and ask them.

CPAat33
    Participant

Hello all!

Currently 10 years post college and am – for the first time – sincerely studying and anticipating passing the CPA exam this year.

I have been through the cycle of studying and then get too anxious and restart for the past 10 years.

I am using wiley study materials and am planning to take FAR as the first exam, hopefully around April of this year.

Looking forward to successfully passing!!

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    New Year, Same Me, New Approach - Wiley CPA .. all day 🙂
    Puppykoala
    Participant

Hi, never thought I would take CPA exam since accounting was one of my most hated subjects when I was at school two years ago. Then real world classroom taught me how important it is to understand business and numbers and CPA as a tool to advance career. I'm planning to take FAR around April so I can have about 3 months part time studying it. I heard FAR is the hardest and contains the most information and should be taken first. All my accounting education was from a certificate program from UCSD Extension, and mostly online self-studying, so I'm definitely a bit nervous. I'm using Becker review and just started last weekend. Glad to see so many are going through the same journey alongside.

Good luck to you all!

Shoot for the stars!

FAR 88 04/19

REG 95 07/19

BEC 91 11/19

AUD 88 12/19

timmyj
    Participant

Glen County uses governmental fund accounting and is the administrator of a multiple-jurisdiction deferred compensation plan covering both its own
    employees and those of other governments participating in the plan. This plan is an eligible deferred compensation plan under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code
    and Income Tax Regulations. Glen has legal access to the plan's $40,000,000 in assets, comprising $2,000,000 pertaining to Glen and $38,000,000 pertaining
    to the other participating governments. In Glen's balance sheet, what amount should be reported in the custodial fund for plan assets and as a corresponding
    liability?

A. $0
    B. $2,000,000
    C. $38,000,000
    D. $40,000,000
    You answered B. The correct answer is D.
    When a governmental unit is the administrator of a multiple-jurisdiction deferred compensation plan, it should report all of the plan assets and liabilities (e.g.,
    $40,000,000) in Custodial Fund because the governmental unit is acting as an agent for both its own employees and other governments participating in the
    plan.

-I thought for custodial accounts the liability portion was only for the government unit of the financial statements and the the net position was for the portion that belonged to another entity. The assets would be $40, liabilities would be $38 and net position would be $2. Can someone please explain this. Thank you.

timmyj
    Participant

Casey entered into a troubled debt restructuring agreement with First State Bank. First State agreed to accept land with a carrying amount of $85,000 and a
    fair value of $120,000 in exchange for a note with a carrying amount of $185,000. Casey has restructured debt twice in the last five years. Disregarding
    income taxes, what amount should Casey report as an ordinary gain in its income statement?

A. $65,000
    B. $ 35,000
    C. $ 0
    D. $100,000
    You answered D. The correct answer is A.
    Casey would report an ordinary gain of $65,000: the difference between the obligation settled ($185,000) and the fair value of the asset
    transferred ($120,000).

-Why is he gain not $100,000, you need to recognize the gain from carrying value to fair value and then from fair value to debt relieved. It also mentions ordinary gain and I thought there is no longer ordinary/extraordinary gains. Thanks for the help.

MO
    Participant

I got a TBS question about FASB AL code asking for disclosures required when a company contracts to do R&D for another. FAR AL seems to be more vague than AUD. Anyone know?

AUD - 89
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 83
    REG - 80
    "Real business is done on paper" -- Michael Scott
    LL
    Participant

@Timmyj
    I might not be 100% right, but just try to give you some thoughts.
    Your first question: the $2,000,000 belongs to Glen County's employees. so its a liability.
    Your second question: I think this question is focus on ordinary/capital gain. The $35,000 might be the capital gain.

AUD - 76
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 79
    REG - 80
    I am DONE!
    LL
    Participant

@Timmyj correct myself
    Your second question: the $35,000 might be recorded under OCI, not ordinary gain.

AUD - 76
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 79
    REG - 80
    I am DONE!
    rahil82
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    Any easy way to learn deferred taxes? It's really time consuming.

Thank you

rahil82
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    Any easy way to learn deferred taxes? It's really time consuming.

Thank you

SeanW
    Participant

Two questions I'm struggling with (conceptually).

1. When a Foreign Sub is required to use the Remeasurement Method, what is the journal entry to record the Currency Gain/Loss to balance R/E? Obviously one side is the Currency Gain/Loss Account used to affect Net Income; but I can't picture what the other side is.

2. The Deferred Tax Valuation Allowance Account – How is this account presented on the Balance Sheet and second, what happens to it over time? I realize it can be reversed if enough future income is generated; but what happens over time if no income is generated? Is it written off somehow and if so, what does that journal entry look like?

Thank you.

CPAGIRL
    Participant

Hi Bunny,
    I am studying for FAR using WileyExcel. Do you think it is worth doing the task based sims while studying, I heard it more beneficial to focus on MCQ for practice? How was your experience?

"Don't quit! Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion"
Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 379 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.