FAR Study Group - Page 6

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    NotSmartEnough
    Participant

Can someone explain to me how to calculate the numerator effect and denominator effect for DEPS? I'm using Wiley CPAexcel and feel like they've done an absolutely terrible job with it…

AUD - 72
    BEC - 76
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 85
    Jay
    Dev12
    Participant

The very first step is to calculate Basic EPS which is NI-PD/WACSO (weighted avg common stock outstanding).EPS would be diluted any time the denominator > numerator. There are 3 ways the denominator could increase and make the EPS diluted:

1) Options – 1st step,Dilutive if, Avg mkt price > Exercise Price.
    if the above condition is satisfied you calculate the Additional shares that need to be added to the denominator using:
    #CS – # Repo, where #Repo = (#CS*#options*Exercise Price)/Avg Mkt Price. Be careful you have to subtract this resultant number from the #CS and then add it to the denominator.

2) Convertible securities (Bonds) – 2 changes happen in here, 1 – you add the interest expense to the numerator which is (Face value*%*1-Tax rate) and 2 the number of bonds converted to the CS are added to the denominator.

3) Convertible securities (Preferred Stock) – 2 changes happen in here, 1 – you add the PD to the numerator and number of PS converted to CS are added to denominator.

Now questions on this could be as easy as tell if the diluted EPS is Dilutive (in the money) or Anti-Dilutive
    1) Options – Dilutive if (Avg Mkt price>Exercise Price
    2) and 3) – Bonds and PS – Diluted EPS < Basic EPS

AUD - 75
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 81
    REG - 84
    BARF - 4 sections of the CPA Exam!
    Dev12
    Participant

and in a question where you have been given all 3 conversion option and they ask to calculate the diluted EPS, use:

NI + Interest Expense/ WACSO ( After all converted to CS)

AUD - 75
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 81
    REG - 84
    BARF - 4 sections of the CPA Exam!
    sam
    Participant

I'm taking FAR tomorrow and feel wildly unprepared 🙁 Is it possible that my exam can be easier than becker?? Also if it can be disclosed, what are the best topics to review tonight?

Determined24
    Participant

Hi Guys I am starting FAR my last section (been waiting to type this for years). I do not like to get hung up on watching review videos and i would like to sit FAR before June; can I just use Ninja text and hammer the MCQs to get through FAR in 3 months?

All or Nothing
    Tinni
    Participant

I am also using wiley . I am planning to sit for FAR Next June. What is the chance that I am going to see similar OR exact questions in real exam what I am studying with wiley ??

Tinni
    Participant

Hello Everyone ,

I am using wiley to study for FAR and I am planning to sit for FAR section Next June. What is the chance that I am going to see similar OR exact questions in real exam what I am studying with wiley ?? If in real exam they will change the numbers and give the same questions then I could pass . Easier topics I can solve in real exam even if its not common from wiley MCQ's but hard topics I have NO idea how to deal with them . I am nOT at all confident with what I am studying for hard topics. Material is very large and difficult to understand each and every topic. How I am going to pass??

Luke
    Participant

Hey everyone,
    I just took FAR an hour ago. Lots of governmental and not-for-profit.
    I feel like it could go either way for me :/
    Sims weren't really like the Becker Sims, but the MCQ's were close.
    Also, I didn't think I'd have to know those ASC questions (where you have to type the ASC 460-58-10-01 numbers) but that was on there so I probably lost those 4 points. Didn't even study them.
    A few lease questions as well.
    Lease, government funds, and not for profit. Study those.
    Good luck to everyone, we can do it!!

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 80
    REG - NINJA in Training
    Go get em!
    Ken
    Participant

Hey guys – just wrapped up FAR (final section). Becker Final Review was actually pretty clutch – good focus on key topic areas and the questions were much harder than anything on the exam itself (so good preparation approach).

Friend's selling the newest (v3.3) final review book if anyone wants to pick it up without getting the FAR course itself:

https://ebay.us/7WbIsB?cmpnId=5338273189

Good luck all!

sar
    Participant

Hey everyone!

I just began studying for the exam this week and decided to start with FAR.

I am working full-time while using Becker to study nights and weekends. I am trying to study a module or two a day with a chapter a week and some review at the end.

I am going through the lectures and following along with the text and highlighting and taking notes. After this I am writing an outline based on the notes and highlights. After that i am going through the simulations and MCQs until i feel comfortable with everything.

Does this seem like an effective way to learn the material to hopefully be able to take the exam in June? or is there another way i should be going about this in order to save some time and learn more efficiently?

Please send study tips and approximate time you spent preparing for FAR.

Thanks!!

Motivated2019
    Participant

@Sar, your approach sounds really good to me.

I am retaking FAR in a few weeks after getting 71 a few months ago. Focusing more on Government and NPF this time.

stan
    Participant

Sar, at this rate you will spend tremendous amount of time. I will not go that route since you may not be able to finish it by June with your work schedule. What I will do is actually read the book and highlight what i think it is important points. Then watch the lectures, do the skills practice, do the MCQs and do the take the supplemental questions. This is what many of my friend who did the drill did. Do it on the order I outlined Read—watch—-practice—-practice—and practice. It is a most efficient way to learn and master anything ( Neurolinguistic programming technic). and what you get wrong write the explanation down.

Stand
    Determined24
    Participant

Hi Guys:

I am halfway through the material with FAR and I do not feel anything is sticking not to mention mcq not getting right. Can anyone who is even retaking offer me some advice on strategy, please.

All or Nothing
    cpatobe1234
    Participant

I just started to study FAR about 2 weeks ago and I am starting on M4 this week, but I was wondering when going through each unit with regards to do the sims- do you do them when you finish a unit, wait to go through them until your reviewing, skip them or do a few? I have found myself doing every other one at the end of finishing a module because I think the sims are different from the MC and sims are usually my weak area since i found i sometimes do really well and under the MC, but I don't do so well with the sims. I know everyone is different with study techniques, but I was wondering what everyone else does with the sims for FAR?

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - 75
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 77

nicholasloprinzi25
    Participant

Just received a BEC passing score tonight ! All I have left is FAR & I’m starting on it tomorrow, hoping to take it in late May. Any advice for someone just starting to study?

AUD - 75
    BEC - 79
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 76
    Pushing through one step at a time!
Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 379 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.